Ross Barkley

LondonLax

56 minutes ago, AV82 said:

He's choosing to sign Barkley.. which says to me he has an idea of how/where he'll play him and therefore hopefully get the best out him. For that reason I'm comfortable if we do take a punt on him.

..Why you're then comparing that to Emery not favouring a player who cannot pass a football (Dendoncker) or a literal child (Tim), neither of whom he signed, is a take as bizarre as your strangely salty responses. I asked you a simple question, I won't waste the time in future.

You want to try and dismiss players that Unai didn't sign to suit your own narrative as players nobody can improve, including Unai himself. Yet somehow Barkley who was pretty shocking when here previously and well known for being slow and a complete lazy bollocks will now turn into a top player again after years of being totally shit, just because its Unai signing him. So my point is/was if he can't improve Dendoncker or a young lad in Tim to get the best out of them then how does anyone know for certain he can get the best out of 30 year old injury prone Barkley, who from what I've seen has had one apparent "good" season in half a decade and more. At a shit Luton Town might I add.

Time will be the judge I guess, however this idea that Ross Barkley is going to come in and be fantastic, well we've been here before. At the end of the day it is what it is and if he comes in and does well then great, however, I don't think it's for other posters to judge the opinions of others who have already seen Barkley look absolutely shit when wearing the clubs colours previously. You only have to go back through the thread to see how people felt during his previous stint at the club. Absolutely nobody was begging for us to sign him then under Smith. 

I'm not being salty at all, I'm just not enthused about the signing and why should I be after the previous experience with him. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rolta said:

He wasn't shit for us. He got injured and didn't seem fit after a promising beginning, and some fans just became obsessed with him being lazy and jumped on anything to suit their narrative. Sure he didn't finish like he began, but he didn't look slow either. 

He's had a great season. He's not going to be our only signing. This doesn't have to be complicated. 

Started well then finished very poorly literally blowing out his arse and becoming a passenger most the time he played, becoming pretty pointless. Personally I thought he was pretty shit. People are allowed to have different opinions without there being a narrative, at the end of the day the club will do what they want.

Like I said, if he comes in and does well then fair enough but I'm not chuffed about him returning or going to get excited about it ffs. I think there are much better players out there we could bring in. Each to their own. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, duke313 said:

I do.  There are different types of defensive midfielders in the modern game, the ball wining type (Kamara) and the deep playmaker type (Luiz).  They are both DMs, they just have different instructions on the pitch.  

I thought Pau was the deep lying playmaker....they can't all be deep lying playmakers.

But Kamara is out for a considerable time, so who's going to win the ball?

So, what are Rodri and Rice then?.... they look like both to me.

PS That Rabiot, is some link too.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I thought Pau was the deep playmaker....they can't all be deep playmakers.

But Kamara is out for a considerable time, so who's going to win the ball?

So, what are Rodri and Rice then?.... they look like both to me.

They are, that’s why they’re considered elite, they can do both. If Barkley signs or not, we still need a Kamara type DM. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

You want to try and dismiss players that Unai didn't sign to suit your own narrative as players nobody can improve, including Unai himself. Yet somehow Barkley who was pretty shocking when here previously and well known for being slow and a complete lazy bollocks will now turn into a top player again after years of being totally shit, just because its Unai signing him. So my point is/was if he can't improve Dendoncker or a young lad in Tim to get the best out of them then how does anyone know for certain he can get the best out of 30 year old injury prone Barkley, who from what I've seen has had one apparent "good" season in half a decade and more. At a shit Luton Town might I add.

Time will be the judge I guess, however this idea that Ross Barkley is going to come in and be fantastic, well we've been here before. At the end of the day it is what it is and if he comes in and does well then great, however, I don't think it's for other posters to judge the opinions of others who have already seen Barkley look absolutely shit when wearing the clubs colours previously. You only have to go back through the thread to see how people felt during his previous stint at the club. Absolutely nobody was begging for us to sign him then under Smith. 

I'm not being salty at all, I'm just not enthused about the signing and why should I be after the previous experience with him. 

you have a point, I'll grant you that.

It does appear he has had a very effective season with Luton, not sure why, but your assessment of him , when he was with us, is accurate..

I trust unai, if he sees something, because if we can get him playing to his best, he is an effective player, in so many ways....maybe Unai's demanding ways is what Ross needs.

Some folk was calling for him for International duty, so he must have had a good season.

I'm well and truly on the fence, with this one.

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

They are, that’s why they’re considered elite, they can do both. If Barkley signs or not, we still need a Kamara type DM. 

I agree.

There is some impressive low hung fruit out there.....and Monchi is a past Master at picking it.

• Like 2

I hope it's more a case that we've discussed with his people what it would take to do a deal - as we have with other players out of contract or with low release clauses. 

It would be a prudent thing to do. 

If Barkley is our fourth or fifth choice for that position and we're just waiting on the final sign off from better options then fair enough. 

If he's higher on that list it would be a concern to me.   

7 minutes ago, HolteExile said:

I hope it's more a case that we've discussed with his people what it would take to do a deal - as we have with other players out of contract or with low release clauses. 

It would be a prudent thing to do. 

If Barkley is our fourth or fifth choice for that position and we're just waiting on the final sign off from better options then fair enough. 

If he's higher on that list it would be a concern to me.   

Trust the process.

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I think we would see a lot of control with Luiz, Barkley and Tielemans in the side. Barkley is big a 6'2 and Tielemans dropping off into midfield from s/s.

That's all I need to know.😃😀😃😀

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Rolta said:

He wasn't shit for us. He got injured and didn't seem fit after a promising beginning, and some fans just became obsessed with him being lazy and jumped on anything to suit their narrative. Sure he didn't finish like he began, but he didn't look slow either. 

He's had a great season. He's not going to be our only signing. This doesn't have to be complicated. 

He was given a hard time definitely. Started well, then IIRC got fit as we were going through a bit of a rough patch. Had a few average/poor sub apps (when it's hard to get into a game) and people turned on him. I even remember he got pelters for Newcastle away, despite coming on and creating two chances, more than anyone had done all game. He may lack a bit of drive but he is a very decent player. Hopefully he's got more drive since he was here last also, maybe he's had a bit of realisation that his career is slowly coming towards the end.

Edited by Tom13

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I think we would see a lot of control with Luiz, Barkley and Tielemans in the side. Barkley is big a 6'2 and Tielemans dropping off into midfield from s/s.

I'm almost positive Barkley is listed incorrectly as 6'2"

ESm2XwSXgAYQVoy.jpg:large

I have been very impressed with how Barkley played for Luton this season, prompting me to ask more than once “Why couldn’t he play like this for us?” Maybe Unai can do it for us…

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Trust the process.

This.

I think it's safe to say Emery is able to spot a player with attributes to play in his/our system in what will clearly be a rotation option. If he thinks Ross Barkley is that guy, then he's more than earnt the right for some patience.

If he's a Luiz/JJ replacement because our PSR is ****, then yeah let's be a bit bothered. But he isnt - he's a Tielemans back up.

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

He was given a hard time definitely. Started well, then IIRC got fit as we were going through a bit of a rough patch. Had a few average/poor sub apps (when it's hard to get into a game) and people turned on him. I even remember he got pelters for Newcastle away, despite coming on and creating two chances, more than anyone had done all game. He may lack a bit of drive but he is a very decent player. Hopefully he's got more drive since he was here last also, maybe he's had a bit of realisation that his career is slowly coming towards the end.

All I can remember of his loan after the decent opening five games was Smith subbing him off after an hour and then the camera showing him walking round the pitch and kicking the nearest water bottle. His fitness that season wasn't good enough as he looked gassed in second half of games.

Suppose only difference this time is fans will be watching him so if he has good early games we'll get behind him and hopefully he'll kick on from that as he's a confidence player for sure.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Started well then finished very poorly literally blowing out his arse and becoming a passenger most the time he played, becoming pretty pointless. Personally I thought he was pretty shit. People are allowed to have different opinions without there being a narrative, at the end of the day the club will do what they want.

Like I said, if he comes in and does well then fair enough but I'm not chuffed about him returning or going to get excited about it ffs. I think there are much better players out there we could bring in. Each to their own. 

Name a better option that can add depth to the squad and the skills Barkley possesses for the peanuts he’s gunna cost  … also fitness wise he joined us during the Covid impacted season- he had Covid  and was no worse  for us than McGinn was in the past in that respect. I think he became disillusioned and can be criticised for that, I for one think to add depth and calmness on the ball he’s a perfect signing for us. It’s means funds can be diverted in other areas. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

Â