Emiliano Martínez

hippo

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

They might have tried, at least feelers to see if we were interested and we probably gave a quick “go #### yourself”.  

Plus Chelsea and Man U aren’t as big pulls as they used to be unlike the elite of City, Arsenal and Liverpool.  

It would be so much harder for Chelsea and Man Utd to entice players from clubs like Villa, Spurs and Newcastle.

Yeah… I read during preseason that there were big offers that came in for our top players that the club rejected “out of hand”… simply not interested. Encouraging to see…

We are really building something special and the players are bought into it and genuinely and visibly enjoying their time at the Unaiversity.

Also, Emi has said a couple of times (early in preseason and last week) that the “easy” way would be to go to a Champions League club but he’s not interested in that and is in football for the challenge. It’s sweeter that way too…

He took Argentina to a WC win, he wants to take Aston Villa to the Champions League….

• Like 3

In my time Bosnich and Spink have always been acknowledged as our two best Goalkeepers, and as good as they were they are now behind Martinez. He's an amazing shot stopper, he commands his area, he can pass the ball well, he’s a leader, a character, a World Cup winner but still humble. He’s got it all, and I can’t find any weakness in his game. 

People will argue that he’s not won a trophy with Villa, as that’s the mark of real greatness. I agree to a certain extent, trophy wins can elevate all players to legend status in hindsight, even one’s that weren’t that good. Emi Martinez is more than good enough to win things with Villa, and he will do over the next couple of years I’m sure of it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

We are so lucky to have him and he seems to really love it at Villa. I am also doing this to make this t bump this thread to  500 pages.

For context the Ashley Westood thread was 610 pages.

Ah yes, but to be fair, there was a lot more debate around Westwood.  Everything from he's our version of Pirlo to he ain't fit to lace Gavin McCann's boots...😆

Emi on the other hand has the thread united in the knowledge that he is really really good, just creates debate about just HOW really really good he is.... 

Rimmer still ranks as best-ever in my lifetime.... But Emi has overtaken all the others at this point for me, and he's in good company - Spink, Bosnich, Friedel....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jono62 said:

Wasn't it Cutler's recommendation?

Cutler was a part of the process once they'd narrowed it down, but I think the interview with him (Cutler) made it look too much like he was the reason we signed him. From what I gathered they had a shortlist that included Emi, Butland and a couple more.....

Cutler was definitely key to his development when he joined us, but Emi's distribution and tactical nous has improved ten-fold since Unai brought in his own GK coach.

To think he was preceded by the likes of Nyland, Kalinic and zimmer-frame wielding Reina....😟 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah… I read during preseason that there were big offers that came in for our top players that the club rejected “out of hand”… simply not interested. Encouraging to see…

We are really building something special and the players are bought into it and genuinely and visibly enjoying their time at the Unaiversity.

Also, Emi has said a couple of times (early in preseason and last week) that the “easy” way would be to go to a Champions League club but he’s not interested in that and is in football for the challenge. It’s sweeter that way too…

He took Argentina to a WC win,he wants to take Aston Villa to the Champions League….

Thats when you know, the players are made of the right material.

Edited by TRO

37 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

Ah yes, but to be fair, there was a lot more debate around Westwood.  Everything from he's our version of Pirlo to he ain't fit to lace Gavin McCann's boots...😆

Emi on the other hand has the thread united in the knowledge that he is really really good, just creates debate about just HOW really really good he is.... 

Rimmer still ranks as best-ever in my lifetime.... But Emi has overtaken all the others at this point for me, and he's in good company - Spink, Bosnich, Friedel....

Both Emi and Jimmy from Arsenal seconds.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Both Emi and Jimmy from Arsenal seconds.

Not lost on me that one!  Had a chat with my old man on the phone yesterday and he doesn't do well nowadays with his memory, but he had a good laugh about the Rimmer/Emi coincidence.  

To be fair to Arsenal they had replaced Jimmy with Pat Jennings, so you could see the reason, but I'm not putting Leno, Ramsdale or Raya in the same category as Jennings.... 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

Not lost on me that one!  Had a chat with my old man on the phone yesterday and he doesn't do well nowadays with his memory, but he had a good laugh about the Rimmer/Emi coincidence.  

To be fair to Arsenal they had replaced Jimmy with Pat Jennings, so you could see the reason, but I'm not putting Leno, Ramsdale or Raya in the same category as Jennings.... 🙂

To be fair to Arsenal.....Emi has found his spiritual Home at B6.....It sometimes happens that way.

I don't want to take the mick out of Arsenal....they might baulk, the next time we want one.....Like " The Villa want you"...." we'll give you 10 games to prove yourself"....🤣

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

This guy is the best keeper in the world right now, no question of that now and a world cup winner. 

Based purely on that he has to be our best goalie of all time. Could have easily left in the summer but chose to stick with us, unlike some other players we've had in recent years. Genuinely loves us too. I'm certain he will win something with us, sooner rather than later and drive us on to bigger and better things. 

1 minute ago, Khizzy said:

This guy is the best keeper in the world right now, no question of that now and a world cup winner. 

Based purely on that he has to be our best goalie of all time. Could have easily left in the summer but chose to stick with us, unlike some other players we've had in recent years. Genuinely loves us too. I'm certain he will win something with us, sooner rather than later and drive us on to bigger and better things. 

I think so.....just needs to avoid ricochets off the bar.....😆

Needs a hooded shirt to catch the ball.

• Haha 1

Â