Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

12 hours ago, WHY said:

His goal pleased me in that he gambled at the far post, he doesn’t get enough of these type of goals. There have been a few times this season when the ball has flashed across the six yard box and he hasn’t gambled and slid in. I want him to gamble more just slide in and let the ball hit you, easy 5 goals a season to be had this way! 

Right, you could tell Grealish was annoyed but I agree that’s exactly what any striker should do!

4 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Right, you could tell Grealish was annoyed but I agree that’s exactly what any striker should do!

Looked at a few angles, Grealish's shot looked post/wide. Agree with above Watkins needs to add this back post gamble to his game, he has it in him to get more goals that way

They are definitely over-egging it a bit with their praise of Watkins, especially after he missed that open-goal.

Checking out the Australia squad, they don't have a single player playing in a top tier, so you can't get too carried away.

Knowing this must have been quite a blow to Jack's ego, but he had a decent game all told.

Ollie's goal was the sort he should score more of, as the best strikers are known to do (see old footage of Lineker).

You could see Jack was pissed-off but the replay suggested that his shot might have hit the post.

2 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

They are definitely over-egging it a bit with their praise of Watkins, especially after he missed that open-goal.

Checking out the Australia squad, they don't have a single player playing in a top tier, so you can't get too carried away.

Knowing this must have been quite a blow to Jack's ego, but he had a decent game all told.

Ollie's goal was the sort he should score more of, as the best strikers are known to do (see old footage of Lineker).

You could see Jack was pissed-off but the replay suggested that his shot might have hit the post.

I do hear you. But I enjoy getting carried away about Ollie during the international break. It’s also just Great to see a villa player getting so much attention, and Aston Villa being mentioned so often in the media. I love it. Sorry, I guess I’m getting carried away, but that’s where I’m at. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I do hear you. But I enjoy getting carried away about Ollie during the international break. It’s also just Great to see a villa player getting so much attention, and Aston Villa being mentioned so often in the media. I love it. Sorry, I guess I’m getting carried away, but that’s where I’m at. 

I do tend to forget that that is what it's really all about!

We all live in hope that a player will suddenly click and be transformed into a world-class player. 😍

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Grealish’s reaction was pathetic, it wasn’t going in and even if it was why take the risk of leaving it just out of politeness

I think Watkins did well but realistically he is only really in the mix for 3rd choice behind Kane and probably Toney when he’s available 

17 hours ago, WHY said:

His goal pleased me in that he gambled at the far post, he doesn’t get enough of these type of goals. There have been a few times this season when the ball has flashed across the six yard box and he hasn’t gambled and slid in. I want him to gamble more just slide in and let the ball hit you, easy 5 goals a season to be had this way! 

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo more Gambling....

Seriously....I agree, back post is Chi ching, chi ching.

You can be prolific, working that area.

4 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I think it would have hit the post and come out.....Ollie did the right thing......Jack needs to embrace team work, I wonder what he would have said if Kane had of done it, or Haaland in a league game?

I would hazard a guess that if someone had of put Ollies shot in....He would have been delighted.....but just speculating.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tom13 said:

When was the last time DCL actually did anything though? Feels like forever.

Including a euros when Southgate was playing kane on one leg over him...

DCL should be done for England, the opportunity was right there to use and Southgate didn't, obviously doesn't rate him

And he won't be taking 3 strikers to a tournament, absolutely no chance, it'll be kane +1 next summer and Wilson sits on the bench listening to the CL theme tune so unless Ollie outscores him by quite a bit this year it will be Wilson

• Like 1

On 13/10/2023 at 23:35, skarroki said:

As much as I want Watkins in the squad I think based on the ability Toney has shown he should be 2nd choice behind Kane. 

I think Wilson is 3rd choice in a lot of people's eyes and he does perform very well but his legs are made of shatterproof rulers. Watkins is indestructible and good so I think he has to go, he's a safe bet and not much of a downgrade if at all on other options. 

There wasn't much to separate them last season both scored 14 non penalty league goals, and Ollie essentially missed 1/3 of the season playing under Slippy G.

• Like 1

The thing for me with Southgate is he's so defensive, it's to a fault, and he seems reluctant to play the best pressing forward in the league, Southgate should love him

But then I don't think England press that high up, that's the difference between the great managers in the league and that clueless prick, they don't play that deep and defensive they press and win the ball back higher up the pitch

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

4 goals and 4 assist in 8 games.

So he is basically having a goal contribution in every single game.

Had a fantastic start. The criticism is nuts.

Imagine how many he'll get when he starts playing well!

Looking forward to it. Up the Ollie.

• Like 2

More whispers on Twix that Arsenal plan on trying to sign Ollie in January. 

It's possible that he penned a new contract with us to ensure a bigger fee out if respect for Villa. 

He is a boyhood Gunner.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, maqroll said:

More whispers on Twix that Arsenal plan on trying to sign Ollie in January. 

It's possible that he penned a new contract with us to ensure a bigger fee out if respect for Villa. 

He is a boyhood Gunner.

Or a release clause that we don't know about?

Just now, duke313 said:

Or a release clause that we don't know about?

Yep, or that. It would be pretty devastating to lose him in January,  and he'll know that...so maybe he wits until the summer...or maybe he wants to stay with Emery. 

It would be folly to think it couldn't happen. 

• Like 1

I don't think he'll go in January unless they trigger the release clause, if there is one.

But if he does score 20 goals this campaign and Arsenal offer 100M? Love you Ollie and thank you for the goals - enjoy London!

28 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Yep, or that. It would be pretty devastating to lose him in January,  and he'll know that...so maybe he wits until the summer...or maybe he wants to stay with Emery. 

It would be folly to think it couldn't happen. 

I agree but the fee is going to be huge and more likely in the summer.  If there is a release clause, I can’t imagine it’d be less that £100m so either way we win if he stays or goes.  If no release clause, I think the owners will says no to any offer or it would take a mega offer to be consider if Ollie pushed to go.  It would be folly to think it couldn’t happen, I just don’t see it happening…I think it’s more likely they’ll go for Toney who would be cheaper I would expect.

7 hours ago, duke313 said:

There wasn't much to separate them last season both scored 14 non penalty league goals, and Ollie essentially missed 1/3 of the season playing under Slippy G.

I would agree and personally I would rather have Watkins up front, especially for Villa.

But I think Toney's presence up front means the ball sticks better, if he improves his passing then he'll be even better. I think a lot of big clubs are linked because they see how impressive he's been and believe they can improve on that with better team mates around him. 

I think another thing in Watkins favour is how good he is off the pitch and how little is spoken of him, he's a model pro. 

Â