Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

His first touch is sometimes poor, but as said many times if he didn't have one or two obvious limitations he wouldn't be playing for us anyway.

In terms of strikers who don't play for a team in Europe go, I'm hard pressed to think of a better option.

• Like 1

Ollie has definitely improved with the improvement in coaching. As have most of the players. The added bonus for Ollie is that he’s scoring goals which is always big for strikers as they are the ultimate confidence players. 

Many people have pointed out that we are lacking goals throughout the rest of the team. If we can add to that with the current squad for the rest of the season that would be great for us, but ultimately I think that’s the different type of striker that Unai is looking for. Big summer coming up. 

56 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Ollie has definitely improved with the improvement in coaching. As have most of the players. The added bonus for Ollie is that he’s scoring goals which is always big for strikers as they are the ultimate confidence players. 

Many people have pointed out that we are lacking goals throughout the rest of the team. If we can add to that with the current squad for the rest of the season that would be great for us, but ultimately I think that’s the different type of striker that Unai is looking for. Big summer coming up. 

Well Ollie is best when we have speed in transition. Under Emery we play quick transition on turnover of possession. This plays to his strengths.

Then from our own possession from GK forward or when recycling ball after failed attack. We are to build up slower holding onto possession. He's getting better at that but it's no surprise he's scored so many goals against the better sides. More counter attacking chances 

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

His is the most lethal Striker in the league in terms of shot conversion rate. 28.57% of shots are goals, compared to 27.78% for Haaland and 27.53% for Rashford. Only Mahrez has a higher shot conversion ration in the League.

Really? Hard to believe. Can't access The Athletic but the BBC does contradict it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/top-scorers

His goal conversion is down at 21%, compared to Haaland's 38%.

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Really? Hard to believe. Can't access The Athletic but the BBC does contradict it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/top-scorers

His goal conversion is down at 21%, compared to Haaland's 38%.

I checked. It's based on 2023 so far. Players who have scored more than 3 goals. Their conversation ratio

32 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Ollie's confidence took a nosedive when danny ings was signed.

Strange now that with ings gone that ollie is starting to look very dangerous again.

Coincidence i think not.

Interesting, I think, because we so often hear that competition for places within the squad is desirable; i'd hope that Ollie's confidence isn't so easily shaken that the mere addition of another potential goal scoring threat would put him off his game.

I don't really believe that to be the case, but if it were true I'd see that as a significant flaw in Watkins overall game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Ollie's confidence took a nosedive when danny ings was signed.

Strange now that with ings gone that ollie is starting to look very dangerous again.

Coincidence i think not.

Personally I would challenge this - Ollie is looking a better all round player - surely this has more to do with coaching, rather than the departure of a fellow player.

I would hope Watkins is mentally stronger than this?

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Watkins form struggled when he had his first child and Smith trying to play with both him and Ings as a front two. Even then he was scoring goals but wasn’t the player he was the previous season. Then this season he struggled pretty much with the whole team under Gerrard.

He basically set his own standard very high in his first season and any poor performances after that became ‘he isn’t good enough’, ‘he is just not a good footballer’ etc, 

There is nothing wrong with him and he has now found a bit of form with a new manager.  Our fans really  over think stuff sometimes and are also quick to want to replace some of our better players.

Part of that is right and he is contributing positively at the moment. But even at his best in his first season, his weaknesses were clear.

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Watkins form struggled when he had his first child and Smith trying to play with both him and Ings as a front two. Even then he was scoring goals but wasn’t the player he was the previous season. Then this season he struggled pretty much with the whole team under Gerrard.

He basically set his own standard very high in his first season and any poor performances after that became ‘he isn’t good enough’, ‘he is just not a good footballer’ etc, 

There is nothing wrong with him and he has now found a bit of form with a new manager.  Our fans really  over think stuff sometimes and are also quick to want to replace some of our better players.

Listening to the pre match presser it sounds like Emery really likes him, if nothing else, for his attitude, hardwork and willingness to try to learn.

He even mentioned Leon as well, and trying to help them with better decision making.

I do remember even SG claiming Leon was one of the best trainers and hardest workers so it's just on the pitch things aren't necessarily clicking.

• Like 2

In regard to coaching, when Ings was here much of the coaching for Ollie would have been how to play with Ings in a front 2, and to play as a conventional striker playing through the middle (under Gerrard).

Whereas now he is basically going back to how he played under Smith, which is going out to the left and moving inside to that left channel between the fullback and the centre back. Also I think we are seeing an improved Watkins at the moment, he is a man that is always working to improve, has hired his own striking coach, and now is under the guidance of a world class manager. I expect him to maintain a high level for the rest of the season and to score close to 20 goals next season if he stays fit and in the team.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Part of that is right and he is contributing positively at the moment. But even at his best in his first season, his weaknesses were clear.

Of course his weaknesses are clear. As many have mentioned it’s why he is playing for us. If he didn’t have those weaknesses he’d be one of the best strikers around, 

Name a single player in our squad where their weaknesses are not clear?   Shall we replace them all ?

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Name a single player in our squad where their weaknesses are not clear?

Boubacar Kamara doesn't have many clear weaknesses. I'd say Douglas Luiz is also a pretty well rounded player. Alex Moreno another with big potential once he's settled in the league.

• Like 1

Â