Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Just now, Chicken Field said:

That said, he probably should have scored today, although I don't think it was his finishing ability that let him down today but rather and abysmal first touch.

Me too, the one near the end the touch took him wide and on to his left, a good touch there and he can open up on his right 

Did think that 5 mins before that he had a blocked shot that came from good play down the left, he took a brilliant touch there, took him past the defender with ease

Difference was he was stood still so it's easier 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Criticizing a player who assisted two, saying that he should rather be scoring them is a ridiculous statement imo

I agree to a point but the problem is that his biggest weakness is finishing and he hasnt improved. It didnt cost us today but it has and will cost us in the future.

That's why people arent having an open top parade because he got two assists.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

I agree to a point but the problem is that his biggest weakness is finishing and he hasnt improved. It didnt cost us today but it has and will cost us in the future.

That's why people arent having an open top parade because he got two assists.

Might be wrong, but I haven't noticed people praising him too much today, people are just saying that he contributed today.

When he misses chances and they cost us points, I'll be the first one having a go at him, but criticism has a time and place and after contributing two assists in a win, it means that today is just not the time.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Me too, the one near the end the touch took him wide and on to his left, a good touch there and he can open up on his right 

Did think that 5 mins before that he had a blocked shot that came from good play down the left, he took a brilliant touch there, took him past the defender with ease

Difference was he was stood still so it's easier 

He can be very inconsistent, which I think makes him a frustrating player to watch. He'll look world class one second, with amazing touches, strength, work rate, pace and he has even had a few really impressive finishes, then 2 minutes later he'll look league 2 level. Players where you can see how good they can be but are inconsistent, are the easiest players to have a go at and are the must frustrating.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

When he misses chances and they cost us points, I'll be the first one having a go at him, but criticism has a time and place and after contributing two assists in a win, it means that today is just not the time.

Players can be criticised anytime. If someone scores a hat-trick then gets sent off for something stupid, he would be criticised and rightly so.

I would have preferred Watkins to have two nice finishes than two assists just because we know what he can do outside of scoring but we don't create a hatful of chances, especially in tight games and we need those chances put away. Against a terrible Everton side we can get away with it.

But just because he got two assists and was better than usual, doesnt mean he is immune to criticism. 

Edited by R.Bear
  • Like 2

I can't think of another player in my entire time supporting Villa where I have such low expectation of any end product when he's heading towards goal with the ball at his feet. 

It's hard to believe he was once a winger. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I can't think of another player in my entire time supporting Villa where I have such low expectation of any end product when he's heading towards goal with the ball at his feet. 

It's hard to believe he was once a winger. 

In the first half when he had the ball in acres of space on the right wing, he passed it straight to an Everton player. There was no Villa player anywhere near the guy and he didnt miskick or go for some Hollywood ball, just gifted it straight to them.

Now another player would be forgiven for this as a one off but Watkins doesn't this several times a game. I would love to know what he saw or was trying to do with that pass. It's just unacceptable how many times he destroys attacks with sloppy rubbish like that.

47 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

He can be very inconsistent, which I think makes him a frustrating player to watch. He'll look world class one second, with amazing touches, strength, work rate, pace and he has even had a few really impressive finishes, then 2 minutes later he'll look league 2 level. Players where you can see how good they can be but are inconsistent, are the easiest players to have a go at and are the must frustrating.

Chap, I know you wanna stick up for him and that's fine. But even on his best days he has never looked world class or had amazing touches. He's got strength, he's a big lad and a bit of pace, but rarely uses it like he did when we had Grealish, its like he can't do without him.

I don't care what anyone says, when Grealish went and since he has had his child, he's a shadow of the lad we signed in that first season. He was bossing the game, players didn't like defending against him as he was a right pest, an he scored 14 goals. He has regressed from that, an it's a little concerning.

Justified starting today, got two assists and Everton couldn't handle his pace. Second half, we saw the fatal flaw of his modes of selfishness (not passing to Ings on the break) and some poor first touches (odd given that he did some good ones in the first half).

Let's be brutally honest, the lad can't finish his dinner, but he is useful in pulling the defence off in one direction and creating space. He has pace.

But when I see him going towards goal I know that only 1 in 5 are going in the back of the net. Not what you want for a striker! 

Also he is prone to having trampoline feet! 

16 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Let's be brutally honest, the lad can't finish his dinner, but he is useful in pulling the defence off in one direction and creating space. He has pace.

But when I see him going towards goal I know that only 1 in 5 are going in the back of the net. Not what you want for a striker! 

Also he is prone to having trampoline feet! 

Ok, let’s have some brutally honest feedback on your feedback. You are an idiot.

• Confused 1

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

Ok, let’s have some brutally honest feedback on your feedback. You are an idiot.

Eh? An idiot for telling the truth? He can't finish his dinner, that is proven the amount of chances he squandered!!  He has trampoline feet, but has pace! 

So you can honestly say he has a beautiful 1st touch and would score 3 goals with 3 shots?

2 hours ago, Enda said:

We can bandy about the “two assists” statistic all we like, but he in reality he over-cooked the pass to Ings. Belted it at him.

The second goal was a lovely pass from Ollie, but it was Buendia that created it.

As to what people expect — more clinical when played through. Ollie knows himself he’s bad at this and hired a coach to help him. But it hasn’t happened for him, and it’s completely fair to point out Cameron Archer probably would have buried it.

Not sure why people are laugh reacting to this, it's true. Watkins has no idea how to weight a pass and Ings did excellently to make the space for himself, and spot on about the second.

Watkins - excellent runner, energetic, pretty damn strong, workrate is usually top notch. Touch and general footballing intelligence is poor, and he's an average finisher. However, he is useful.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We need a better version of him.

The athleticism, pressing, workrate etc is brilliant.

However the footballing intelligence, some of the decision making and finishing are 😢

Or what this man said! :)

I think even the second goal, Buendia wanted to put him on goal, but he didn't arc his run properly. I know it wasn't easy to do, but I think Ings for example would have got himself in space where he's able to just finish straight away.

However, Watkins did do well with it in the end.

51 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Chap, I know you wanna stick up for him and that's fine. But even on his best days he has never looked world class or had amazing touches. He's got strength, he's a big lad and a bit of pace, but rarely uses it like he did when we had Grealish, its like he can't do without him.

I don't care what anyone says, when Grealish went and since he has had his child, he's a shadow of the lad we signed in that first season. He was bossing the game, players didn't like defending against him as he was a right pest, an he scored 14 goals. He has regressed from that, an it's a little concerning.

I think you are being a bit too harsh, i agree that he has regressed and I also find it concerning. But he does still have good moments (I literally said he had seconds where he could look world class, individual touches etc.), for example, today his link up play for the second goal was really really good.  He does have moments most games where you will see the "old" him, just not as often.

Edited by Chicken Field

Â