Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I dunno, put their defence under pressure with a high press and we might get something 

I like the idea of what he can do off the ball vs them 

I just think he was disappointing today in many aspects and he lost the jersey today with that performance and Ings should get the opportunity.

2 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

You're aware he was pretty much on his own up front today.

Where was he playing when Ings came on and we were pushing plenty more players forward around him?

Appreciate the patronising tone all the same.

6 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Where was he playing when Ings came on and we were pushing plenty more players forward around him?

Appreciate the patronising tone all the same.

I responded to a post commenting that he "had too many touches" today. Tough to pass the ball when there aren't any passing options.

Hope this is both humble and respectful enough for you? I'll make sure to try better incase you read anything else I post.

Edited by jimmygreaves

11 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

I responded to a post commenting that he "had too many touches" today. Tough to pass the ball when there aren't any passing options.

Hope this is both humble and respectful enough for you? I'll make sure to try better incase you read anything else I post.

It's OK pal, just find it an odd manner to continually address someone when you probably wouldn't do so to people in real life. Maybe you would mind, in which case I'm trembling at the idea of ever meeting you.😂

I didn't specify today for what it's worth. It's  a critique folk have had of him across several games of late, hence "at the moment". Funnily enough City of all teams was quite an encouraging performance in terms of how he linked up, moved it quickly etc. However in general play against Palace, Brighton, Leicester AND Liverpool today he's been hit and miss at best in that regard, though as always still does a lot of other good work to make up for it on the whole.

Edited by Indigo

9 minutes ago, Irish_Villain said:

We were playing Liverpool ffs. 

Ok, your point?

I didn’t say I was disappointed in him not scoring or shooting, I said he was poor.  I don’t think when he got involved it was his usual standard, he didn’t hold the ball up, he wasn’t involved when he could’ve been and his touch was bad on the whole.  

Edited by nick76

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Ok, your point?

I didn’t say I was disappointed in him not scoring or shooting, I said he was poor.  I don’t think when he got involved it was his usual standard, he didn’t hold the ball up, he wasn’t involved when he could’ve been and his touch was bad on the whole.  

He held the ball up a lot. He might have had a lot of touches, but they often came off, even if he was fortunate once or twice. Tough game to play alone up front and he was fine imo. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rolta said:

He held the ball up a lot. He might have had a lot of touches, but they often came off, even if he was fortunate once or twice. Tough game to play alone up front and he was fine imo. 

Ok I disagree, I don’t think he held the ball up at all.  For him it was a poor day imo.  Even if you don’t agree because it was Liverpool, compare how he was against Man City compared to today against Liverpool, for me it was a massive difference in his performance. He was the only Villa player today that I thought was poor.

49 minutes ago, Irish_Villain said:

We were playing Liverpool ffs. 

He's not an intelligent player no matter who we're playing. Dribbling and pace is half decent and workrate is incredible, but he will always frustrate.

First half, nothing was sticking for him.

Second half was much of the same, until they scored and he had more support around him as we were forced to attack more.

I think we were way too long-ball minded this game and Ollie's hold-up play simply isn't good enough to rely on him to that degree.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

First half, nothing was sticking for him.

Second half was much of the same, until they scored and he had more support around him as we were forced to attack more.

I think we were way too long-ball minded this game and Ollie's hold-up play simply isn't good enough to rely on him to that degree.

Well thank god Gerard is forcing them to play from the back. You could see them trying that against city and it didn't work so well, due to them being city and pressing us when we had it. You can't have a play from the back team with our current defenders sadly. 

11 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He's not an intelligent player no matter who we're playing. Dribbling and pace is half decent and workrate is incredible, but he will always frustrate.

If he has the service he'll score goals. It was damage limitation from the start. We had no shots on target but you can't blame it all on him. 

He's limited. He's a decent striker for a midtable team and that's his level. Nothing wrong with that. However he isn't going to be leading the line for a team in the top 6 getting 18+ league goals a season regularly.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, villa89 said:

He's limited. He's a decent striker for a midtable team and that's his level. Nothing wrong with that. However he isn't going to be leading the line for a team in the top 6 getting 18+ league goals a season regularly.

Finally someone who's realistic. I agree 100% he's a mid table striker. That's what we're aiming for this season. You got to crawl before you can walk. 

• Like 1

Â