Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

genuine link do u think?

I have no idea, it was on the Football Insider site. 

Aston Villa race Arsenal, Leeds and West Ham to sign Bournemouth sensation Burchall

The young attacker, 16, is on the radar of Premier League clubs after rejecting a scholarship deal with the seventh-placed Championship outfit. That has led to interest from the top tier and a Villa source has told Football Insider that the club have registered their interest in a summer deal for Burchall.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-aston-villa-race-arsenal-leeds-and-west-ham-to-sign-bournemouth-sensation-burchall/

• Thanks 1

Football Insider aren't usually very reliable, but have broke a few stories regarding our academy, I think it was them that first reported that we were signing Louie Barry, and were also first to report Davis' new contract and that we were going to let O'Hare go. Regardless of whether our interest in this particular player has any truth to it, I'm sure that we will probably be looking to strengthen the academy in the summer.

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Said before and just in the Chuk thread IMO the PL plays the U23s games the wrong way round, they play them before the PL game so the liklihood of playing 90 mins for the U23s and then sitting on the bench is slim

What they should do is play the U23s after, 90 mins + 10 mins in 2 days is harder and more unlikely than 10 mins + 90 mins

April 25th the U23s play boro on the Sunday, 1st team play Saturday 24th vs West brom

Perfect opportunity to have some yoof on the bench 

Baggies game moved to 7pm on the Sunday night so there's that opportunity gone as well

I think that's it for this season, the U23s game is before the PL match so in order for a yoof to be on the bench they'd be pulled out of the U23 squad and put with the 1st team, rather than play twice they will probably sit on a bench and not play at all, so instead the management will leave them with the U23s to get 90 mins in 

Its stupid and such an easy change to make

I don't think there's anyone in our U23's team that there's a desperate need to put on the bench right now in fairness.

I don't think there's a pressing need to drop Elmohamady or Nakamba to make way - it's tempting to say put Chukwuemeka on the bench for Barkley, but I don't see it happening and I can't see Barry knocking El Ghazi or Trez off there just yet. 

If we had a few injuries it'd be a different matter, but for now, when the U23's play in relation to the first team is for me pretty much immaterial.

• Like 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think there's anyone in our U23's team that there's a desperate need to put on the bench right now in fairness.

I don't think there's a pressing need to drop Elmohamady or Nakamba to make way - it's tempting to say put Chukwuemeka on the bench for Barkley, but I don't see it happening and I can't see Barry knocking El Ghazi or Trez off there just yet. 

If we had a few injuries it'd be a different matter, but for now, when the U23's play in relation to the first team is for me pretty much immaterial.

I think with the 9 subs this season and the season being over we are just in a one off position to put a couple of them on there even if they're not likely to play, same as JPB travelled in the match squad because we could let him and then release him for the youth team after 

The 1st team and the U23s playing on the same day means that won't happen

• Thanks 1

Players have already been pulled from U23 games this season to travel with the first team squad even when they've not been named on the bench. I think we're starting to integrate some of the youngsters more and more now behind the scenes...

Kesler, Chukwuemeka, and Philogene-Bidace have been spending a lot of time with the first team recently, not just a training session here and there, but training with them every day, also being involved with all the data analysis and tactical planning that goes into the preperation for premier league games. I presume Barry is doing the same now, but he was still injured when Delaney talked about it.

6 hours ago, useless said:

Players have already been pulled from U23 games this season to travel with the first team squad even when they've not been named on the bench. I think we're starting to integrate some of the youngsters more and more now behind the scenes...

Kesler, Chukwuemeka, and Philogene-Bidace have been spending a lot of time with the first team recently, not just a training session here and there, but training with them every day, also being involved with all the data analysis and tactical planning that goes into the preperation for premier league games. I presume Barry is doing the same now, but he was still injured when Delaney talked about it.

I think the middle Ramsey is as well (he didn't feature against Plop because he was part of the COVID isolation I seem to remember).

The likes of Barry, Chukwuemeka, Philogene-Bidace and Aaron Ramsey have been having the odd training session witht the first team squad for a while.

But recently some of them have been spending weeks at a time with the first team as a sort of bonding exercise and to learn more about the preperations that go into planning for first teams games, basically stepping up the proces of inegrating them into the first team.

When Delaney spoke of this he only referred to Kesler, Chukwuemeka and Philogene-Bidace, but this was when Barry was injured and before Aaron Ramsey had had his upturn in form, It would have also been before Ramsey had even signed a contract, but I'm sure he and Barry since then will also be getting more integrated with the first team.

• Like 1

On 30/03/2021 at 18:46, OutByEaster? said:

This is a question to you, who have a far better idea of the physical stature of our academy starlets.....I look at Jude Bellingham who at 17 appears ready to me, to even play international football..so are our youth stars some way behind him?.....has he been blooded earlier than ours or is he just better in general....as ours been over hyped or under developed.

not loaded questions.....just genuinely unsure of the true status of our youth.

I know you and SGC are better placed than me , to put this in to perspective.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

It appears to me that, we seem to breed play makers more than any other type of player.

I would like to see us develop a "Declan Rice" for a change.

I think Gareth Barry was the last decent one we had, even though he originally came from Brighton.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

This is a question to you, who have a far better idea of the physical stature of our academy starlets.....I look at Jude Bellingham who at 17 appears ready to me, to even play international football..so are our youth stars some way behind him?.....has he been blooded earlier than ours or is he just better in general....as ours been over hyped or under developed.

Every young player has a different learning curve and growth development. Some of the kids I coach over here stateside are further along in physical growth even at a younger age -- that's just something that is not completely controllable. 

With Jude, I think (and I know I'm not the one you are asking about this but I'll give it a shot anyways) he might be physically more developed at a younger age, but the main point is that he played a 41 game season for Small Heath in the championship and then got a move to a premier level club in Dortmund (obviously known for integrating young talent into the first team at a young age). With due respect to our first team squad, we're not at the level/point of a Dortmund where we can seamlessly transition our youngsters into the first team picture without seriously shifting the level of quality we have on the pitch. IIRC when we signed Louie Barry, I think it was @TrentVillathat said he didn't expect Barry to be particularly involved with the first team for a few years after signing because he had a ways to go growth & development wise. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Every young player has a different learning curve and growth development. Some of the kids I coach over here stateside are further along in physical growth even at a younger age -- that's just something that is not completely controllable. 

With Jude, I think (and I know I'm not the one you are asking about this but I'll give it a shot anyways) he might be physically more developed at a younger age, but the main point is that he played a 41 game season for Small Heath in the championship and then got a move to a premier level club in Dortmund (obviously known for integrating young talent into the first team at a young age). With due respect to our first team squad, we're not at the level/point of a Dortmund where we can seamlessly transition our youngsters into the first team picture without seriously shifting the level of quality we have on the pitch. IIRC when we signed Louie Barry, I think it was @TrentVillathat said he didn't expect Barry to be particularly involved with the first team for a few years after signing because he had a ways to go growth & development wise. 

Thanks, Helpful.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

It appears to me that, we seem to breed play makers more than any other type of player.

I would like to see us develop a "Declan Rice" for a change.

I think Gareth Barry was the last decent one we had, even though he originally came from Brighton.

I always liked Hogg.  I don't think he got a fair crack at Villa because he was the defensive type.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I have limited exposure to our youth, but they did not look physically out of their depth against a strong'ish Liverpool side in the FA Cup, and that team was excluding Chuk, JPB and Ramsey (those training with the first XI).  I think Barry got cramp/tired but he is one of the younger and smaller ones and I wouldn't expect to see him for a while.

As I've said before, I think we are always slow to blood youngsters but I can understand that when we have, largely, for the last ten years been in pressure situations (trying to avoid relegation or get promotion).  We are not there now.  I would love to see JPB given a shot in the run in, partly because I don't think he can be any worse than either AEG or Trez have been of late.

Just seen that Tom Barclay of the sun also wrote an article yesterday about our interest in Ajani Burchell, and put a more positive spin on our chances, saying that we're 'leading the race' and 'look mostly likely to sign the schoolboy'. It's the sun, but I think I've seen it mentioned on here that Tom Barclay is usually fairly reliable on news relating to Villa.

• Like 1

Losing 2-0 at half-time to Brighton. I think we probably needed a win to stay in the title race, so not looking good on that score, even after today we will still have two games in hand over Palace and Fulham, but they're nine points ahead of us. Losing players to the U23s and having so many games postponed hasn't done us any favors. Still getting them into the U23s is the main thing in terms of their development, and still got the FA Youth Cup and Premier League Cup to play for.

• Like 2

Â