Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

Just seen that Man City and Man Utd have been knocked out of the FA Youth Cup today. They would have been two of the favorites, so potentially good news for us. Alongside Liverpool we're probably the strongest side left in the competition, could probably be argued that we were the strongest team even before today, but those two going out can only help us.

Edited by useless
  • Like 3

Premier League Cup semi-finals due to played be played between April 12th and 14th, we haven't even played our quarter-final yet against Leicester, so presumably that must be either today or tomorrow. For some reason the club aren't publicizing anything to do with the competition, so probably won't find out until after the fact.

REPORT: TEAM-MATES STUNNED AS ASTON VILLA DECIDE TO RELEASE 19-YEAR-OLD TALENT

Highly-rated winger Charlie Farr is set to be released by Aston Villa with many of his team-mates left stunned by the teenager’s imminent exit, as reported by the Birmingham Mail. 

With Villa making it their mission to turn Bodymoor Heath into one of Europe’s most prosperous academies – the La Masia of the Midlands, if you will – some tough decisions will need to be taken this summer. 

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/04/06/report-team-mates-stunned-as-aston-villa-decide-to-release-19-year-old-talent/

Source is apparently the Mail so grain of salt.

The Original Birmingham Mail article states that we're also releasing... Tait, Harrison Sohna, Brunt, Walker, Clarke, Guy, Burton and Rowe... and keeping... Wright, Dominic Revan, Archer, Bridge and Campton-Sturridge is getting an extra year to prove himself after his injury.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, useless said:

Premier League Cup semi-finals due to played be played between April 12th and 14th, we haven't even played our quarter-final yet against Leicester, so presumably that must be either today or tomorrow.

It was played this evening, unfortunatley we lost 4-2.

• Like 1

No we lost to Leicester's in the quarter-final of the Premier League Cup. Normally there's a premier league cup for the U18s and another for the U16s, but this year because of covid they just had one U17 tournament.

No idea of who played for us, but probably a mixture of some of the younger U18 players and a few of the U16s, I don't think the likes of Barry or Chukwuemeka would have played despite still being young enough, Chrisene and Bogarde played in the earlier games but not even sure if they would have played having since become established with the U23s.

The game against Burton is next Wednesday and presumably wil be available to watch on Villa TV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

No we lost to Leicester's in the quarter-final of the Premier League Cup. Normally there's a premier league cup for the U18s and another for the U16s, but this year because of covid they just had one U17 tournament.

No idea of who played for us, but probably a mixture of some of the younger U18 players and a few of the U16s, I don't think the likes of Barry or Chukwuemeka would have played despite still being young enough, Chrisene and Bogarde played in the earlier games but not even sure if they would have played having since become established with the U23s.

The game against Burton is next Wednesday and presumably wil be available to watch on Villa TV.

Sorry useless, you even specifically mentioned the tournament in your post. I'm so fixated on the FA Youth Cup that I completely ignored all of the information in your post.

That's a shame about the result, but I imagine Leicester have a decent side, so understandable.

6 hours ago, useless said:

The Original Birmingham Mail article states that we're also releasing... Tait, Harrison Sohna, Brunt, Walker, Clarke, Guy, Burton and Rowe... and keeping... Wright, Dominic Revan, Archer, Bridge and Campton-Sturridge is getting an extra year to prove himself after his injury.

Those decisions seem . . . hard to argue with? If anything we seem to be being slightly more lenient than we were last season.

Didn't realize that Farr turns twenty this year, I thought he was younger, the others are already in their twenties or turn twenty this year.  Except for Harrison Sohna, who's still only eighteen, I'm surprised if true that we're letting him go, was getting England call ups not long ago, shows the level of competition in our midfield at the moment... Wright, Revan, and Archer I presume we're keeping as they've done well on loan, and are young enough that they can go back on loan next season maybe at an higher level and improve more.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Today's starting line-up was: Marschall, Appiah, McBride, Swinkels, Aaron O'Reilly, Afoka, Tommi O'Reilly, Lindley, Bradley Young, Abldeen-Goodridge, and Reddin...

So not a particularly inexperienced team, four of those are in their second year with the U18s, and most of the others have played a decent amount of games this season, and no U16s involved.

But we've been out of form for a while now, We were doing well up until Christmas, since then Bogarde, Raikhy, Chrisene, and Bradley Young have been promoted to the U23s and we've been rotating the team more to give some of the first year scholars game time, and recently started using a few of the U16 players as well, so the team we've been fielding for the last ten or so games is quite different to the one that started the season so well.

Because of the way we do things U18s are always prone to losing the best players to the U23s, so in a way we've been the victims of our own success in that sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If we beat Burton tomorrow then we will play Newcastle away in the quarter-finals after they won their fifth round match against Watford on Sunday.

Edited by useless

Â