Academy General Topic

smetrov

27 minutes ago, useless said:

Jamal Jimoh if it happens is a seriously good signing, possibly the biggest academy signing since new owners came in, a lot of top clubs were watching him, I read from very reliable poster on these matters on Albion forum that Chelsea, Arsenal, and Southampton had all bid million plus for him and this was last summer when still an U15, he very nearly did sign for Chelsea but takeover situation delayed the deal and for whatever reason it didn't happen, since then he's been strongly linked to Man Utd and now seemingly Spurs.

England regular through the age groups, I've only seen him a few times for England, but on those occassions reminded me of Iroegbunam, big powerful midfielder and very comfortable on the ball, probably somehwere between a six and a eight as a midfielder, poster mentioned above (son was in albion academy up until last summer) reckons if it wasn't for the fact that Jimoh had aready told Albion that he wouldn't be signing scholarship terms he'd already be playing for their U21s this season just gone.

I wonder if we will sign his younger brother too who is also in Albion academy, when we signed Luka Lynch off them we took both him and his younger brother.

Just watched a little vid and he really is just like Tim. Really comfottable passer both long and short.

55 minutes ago, useless said:

Jamal Jimoh if it happens is a seriously good signing, possibly the biggest academy signing since new owners came in, a lot of top clubs were watching him, I read from very reliable poster on these matters on Albion forum that Chelsea, Arsenal, and Southampton had all bid million plus for him and this was last summer when still an U15, he very nearly did sign for Chelsea but takeover situation delayed the deal and for whatever reason it didn't happen, since then he's been strongly linked to Man Utd and now seemingly Spurs.

England regular through the age groups, I've only seen him a few times for England, but on those occassions reminded me of Iroegbunam, big powerful midfielder and very comfortable on the ball, probably somehwere between a six and a eight as a midfielder, poster mentioned above (son was in albion academy up until last summer) reckons if it wasn't for the fact that Jimoh had aready told Albion that he wouldn't be signing scholarship terms he'd already be playing for their U21s this season just gone.

I wonder if we will sign his younger brother too who is also in Albion academy, when we signed Luka Lynch off them we took both him and his younger brother.

Hell of a player , huge work by the Academy if this gets done 🤞

• Like 1

Yes I think our academy needs a midfielder like that as well, so was wondering if we might look at him or Mfuamba from Albion, but with the amount of links Jimoh has had to Chelsea and Man Utd it seemed likely he would be going to one of those instead, hopefully we can get him as it's what the academy team needs, but more importanly seems like he has potential to develop into a good player.

If he signs he will only be first year scholar next season, but based on what I've read about him I don't think it will be long into the season before he's playing for our U21s, he might even go straight in at that level.

• Like 1

Was looking at some old England U17 squads from the end of 2019, and Rico Richards was playing in the same team as likes of Musiala, Illng, Aaron Ramsey, Barry, Bellingham, Chukwuemeka, and Colwill; Strange the different paths the different names take, to be fair most of them doing alright and looking on course for having a career in the game.

Antoine Thompson has been named Operations Director at our academy in Gloucester, he was Head of Academy operations at Reading last season, and previous to that was Academy Director at Cheltenham.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Antoine Thompson has been named Operations Director at our academy in Gloucester, he was Head of Academy operations at Reading last season, and previous to that was Academy Director at Cheltenham.

We have an academy in Gloucester?

14 minutes ago, brommy said:

We have an academy in Gloucester?

It’s a satellite centre ,like pre Academy money spin , we will provide some if not all funding for the right provider , you get an inside line / first dibs on any player who has interest from any other club , all clubs do it especially CAT 1 

• Thanks 1

It's ours in the sense that we fund it and all the staff are employed by us, we have first refusual on all the players it develops, it's an official pathway into our academy if players are deemed good enough.

Essentially it's an 'independent' academy but run and funded by us, before we were running it, it was West Brom's satelite academy, so link up has come via Mark Harrison.

Gloucester Elite Performance Centre

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, useless said:

It's ours in the sense that we fund it and all the staff are employed by us, we have first refusual on all the players it develops, it's an official pathway into our academy if players are deemed good enough.

Essentially it's an 'independent' academy but run and funded by us, before we were running it, it was West Brom's satelite academy, so link up has come via Mark Harrison.

Gloucester Elite Performance Centre

What I said in other words 🤣 

Trai'varn Mulley looks an interesting player that seemingly came from nowhere, I hadn't even heard of him other than knowing we had a player called 'Trai' who I presumed was a DM, but is actually an attacker, then scores twice and gets an assist in about four games worth of footbal lplaying an age up for the U18s, he looked decent watching him play at the U17 Cup in Egypt as well.

I think he's an U16, if correct should be named amongst the new scholars, presuming we offered him a deal and he accepts.

• Like 1

Kaden Young and Travis Patterson Id imagine, purely based on them being 1st team subs towards the end of the season. Doubt they'll play in the season proper, but Id imagine we'll see them in pre-season.

Might even see Sinisalo if we give Emi an extra week or so off

52 minutes ago, romavillan said:

How many academy players might be involved in our pre-season with the first team? How many might step up to fill out the squad and get games in the cups?

I would guess if fit AJ Tim and the keepers plus a few of the outstanding 2nd year scholars like Kellyman Patterson Rowe and Young.  Dont know when JJ and Archer would be coming back if they go all the way in the england u21s 

Rowe won't be first year scholarship age until next season, whether with us or Chelsea who he's strongly linked to. But if he does sign his scholarship with us then he's one that might not be far away from first team training.

Was hoping that signing Jimoh if that goes ahead would help convince Rowe to stay, as they know each other well from WBA days, but if we lose just Rowe and gain Jimoh then I suspect we won't have done too badly.

Edited by useless

On 20/06/2023 at 00:12, useless said:

Rowe won't be first year scholarship age until next season, whether with us or Chelsea who he's strongly linked to. But if he does sign his scholarship with us then he's one that might not be far away from first team training.

Was hoping that signing Jimoh if that goes ahead would help convince Rowe to stay, as they know each other well from WBA days, but if we lose just Rowe and gain Jimoh then I suspect we won't have done too badly.

From what i can see if everyone accepts contracts then we will have an incredibly talented intake of first year scholars

Brannigan and Moreland who both play for Northern Ireland i think are coming

Then Jimoh McWilliams Proctor Rowe and Broggio who have all played for England at u16 . In fact Jimoh plays an age group up.

Thats 7 youth internationals to add to the 6 that came in last season who will be 2nd year scholars

Kellyman   Wilson   Kadan Young, Patterson , katskunya and Simpson.  Then you add players like Luka Lynch and Mulley who are highly rated as well and you have the makings of a really good youth cup team. 

Â