Academy General Topic

smetrov

16 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

No Villa players in either successful England u20 teams (WC and Toulon), the likes of Everton very well represented so it is not all Chelsea/Man City money needed to have a good youth set up.

And yet Everton are signing Pickford for £30m

3 minutes ago, villanwesty88 said:

Any players in our youth teams likely to make the step up this coming season? Any hidden gems like Andre Green in there? 

I think the most likely ones to step up are Rushian Hepburn-Murphy and Easah Suliman but at the same time, I don't want to put too much pressure on them 

53 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think the most likely ones to step up are Rushian Hepburn-Murphy and Easah Suliman but at the same time, I don't want to put too much pressure on them 

I think those two should go and get some game time in League 1 or 2. Didn't Sulliman play for Cheltenham last season? Not sure how he got on there. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villanwesty88 said:

I think those two should go and get some game time in League 1 or 2. Didn't Sulliman play for Cheltenham last season? Not sure how he got on there. 

He did but apparently wasn't great which surprised me

9 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He did but apparently wasn't great which surprised me

Perhaps this highlights that these guys have to get out and play as much professional football as possible. Youth football is all well and good but less is riding on the results, the competition isn't as strong and the crowds are small. National League/League 2/League 1 would all be good leagues to get a few months of game time in IMO. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, villanwesty88 said:

Perhaps this highlights that these guys have to get out and play as much professional football as possible. Youth football is all well and good but less is riding on the results, the competition isn't as strong and the crowds are small. National League/League 2/League 1 would all be good leagues to get a few months of game time in IMO. 

Agree with you

On 6/25/2017 at 12:53, villanwesty88 said:

Any players in our youth teams likely to make the step up this coming season? Any hidden gems like Andre Green in there? 

They are all 'excellent'

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Jerell Sellars has signed for Cheltenham Town after being released by us, shame really, he'll have a good career 

Then I was referring to you here :P 

• Like 1

Could SGC or anyone who follows the youngsters make a list of current fringe players? We seem to have released an awful lot this summer so just curious who we could be seeing in the cup/coming off the bench over the next 12 months?

8 hours ago, skarroki said:

Could SGC or anyone who follows the youngsters make a list of current fringe players? We seem to have released an awful lot this summer so just curious who we could be seeing in the cup/coming off the bench over the next 12 months?

Rushian Hepburn-Murphy

Andre Green

Easah Suliman

Matija Sarkic

Harry McKirdy

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

11 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Rushian Hepburn-Murphy

Andre Green

Easah Suliman

Matija Sarkic

Harry McKirdy

McKirdy the one who was on loan in league 2 last season? Isn't he another attacking player? I hope he continues to develop.

Of the players you've listed, who do you think would benefit from a season of regular games in League 1/2 and who would be best off staying at the club? 

Are Keinan Davis and Corey Blackett-Taylor not good enough in your eyes? I was expecting big things of Corey and was hoping he could provide competition for the flanks

Edited by skarroki

14 hours ago, skarroki said:

McKirdy the one who was on loan in league 2 last season? Isn't he another attacking player? I hope he continues to develop.

Of the players you've listed, who do you think would benefit from a season of regular games in League 1/2 and who would be best off staying at the club? 

Are Keinan Davis and Corey Blackett-Taylor not good enough in your eyes? I was expecting big things of Corey and was hoping he could provide competition for the flanks

Sorry, I've only just seen this reply, McKirdy was at Stevenage Borough on loan last season. I've seen him quite a few times for u18 and u23 teams and he's always stood out to me. He's got a good football brain and he could break through this coming season in my opinion. He's an attacking midfield player, he can on the left or centrally or just off the striker(s). He is 20 years old

Seeing as Easah Suliman had a loan spell at Cheltenham Town last season and he apparently didn't pull up any trees which surprised me as I really rate him. I doubt he will be loaned out again, I think he's a very talented young centre back, although Noel who I go to the youth games with doesn't share this opinion. He is 19 years old

Rushian Hepburn-Murphy is a great, young striker, he's a brilliant finisher and his link up play is also good. He will be 19 years old in August, so he will need first team football in my opinion. He's the youngest player to appear for Villa in the Premier League era, he was 16 years old when he first played for us

Andre Green will be 19 years old this month, he has shown what he can do in our first team already and I expect him to be a major player for us this season

Matija Sarkic, who will turn 20 this month, is a goalkeeper and always impresses me greatly. He has great stature, handling and temperament, I think he will be fantastic in the future

All the players that I have mentioned in this post have recently signed new 3 year contracts apart from McKirdy

Edit- I think Corey Blackett-Taylor and Keinan Davis both have a chance to make it here definitely 

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

Â