Pre Match Thread (Cup Final 34 of 38)

villalad21

Man Utd in great form, always win at VP...maybe just maybe this is one match in which losing our home “advantage” (non-existent against these) could be a good thing? Their run has to end at some point and so does our home (and away for that matter) record against them. Wouldn’t it just be typical if that happened when there will be no one in the stands to see it? Praying for a miracle, remaining optimistic somehow.

The kick off time in the topic title seems to be wrong by the way, BBC have it listed as 20:15 not 18:15.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I think the last time we beat them Savo scored and we were 3-0 up at half time and Hanson said you never win anything with kids re United

I don’t remember beating them for years, but we did beat them in 2009, when Gabby scored at Old Trafford. Don’t really remember the game though...

December 2009

7 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I don’t remember beating them for years, but we did beat them in 2009, when Gabby scored at Old Trafford. Don’t really remember the game though...

December 2009

Sorry was on about at VP

• Thanks 1

Indeed, our last league win at Villa Park (against Mans Chest Hair United) was 1995/96, the first game of the season. Our record against them is absolutely dire. A real stain for us we cannot shift. Game finished 3-1.

Edited by Raver50032

23 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I think the last time we beat them Savo scored and we were 3-0 up at half time and Hanson said you never win anything with kids re United

We beat them in the league cup in the 1999-2000 but yeah the league its 25 years at Villa Park.  They won the double, we came 4th and won the League Cup. Good times.

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

We beat them in the league cup in the 1999-2000 but yeah the league its 25 years at Villa Park.  They won the double, we came 4th and won the League Cup. Good times.

and the FA cup semi, seems like yesterday, boy how the mighty have fallen  

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Man Utd in great form, always win at VP...maybe just maybe this is one match in which losing our home “advantage” (non-existent against these) could be a good thing? Their run has to end at some point and so does our home (and away for that matter) record against them. Wouldn’t it just be typical if that happened when there will be no one in the stands to see it? Praying for a miracle, remaining optimistic somehow.

The kick off time in the topic title seems to be wrong by the way, BBC have it listed as 20:15 not 18:15.

Good job you mentioned this, will adjust prematch drinking accordingly, a surprise 20.15 start whilst 'preparing' for a 18.15 kick off could have been a disaster/godsend depending on the events that unfold

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

It was the summer I was waiting for my GCSE results.   My daughter starts her GCSE's next year. That's how long it's been.   We did win 3-0 at Villa Park in a League Cup game in 99.  They totally threw that fixture though, it was the season they had to withdraw from the FA Cup to play in the Club World Championship (because apparently if they did it would guarantee England get to host the 2006 World Cup 🤡) and the next round of the League Cup was scheduled when United were due in South America to shake some hands. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Nyland

Guilbert Konsa Mings Taylor

McGinn Luiz Drinkwater

El Ghazi Davis Grealish

Subs: Reina, Elmohamady, Hause, Nakamba, Trezeguet, Jota, Hourihane, Lansbury, Samatta 

Nyland :crylaugh:

jfc no.

A total liability and yet another player of many who are lucky to be able to lay claim he played in the PL.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

It was the summer I was waiting for my GCSE results.   My daughter starts her GCSE's next year. That's how long it's been.   We did win 3-0 at Villa Park in a League Cup game in 99.  They totally threw that fixture though, it was the season they had to withdraw from the FA Cup to play in the Club World Championship (because apparently if they did it would guarantee England get to host the 2006 World Cup 🤡) and the next round of the League Cup was scheduled when United were due in South America to shake some hands. 

I remember it because it was the year I met my wife, 1995 is like a constant throbbing unremovable thorn

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We drew at Old Trafford in December, so they can't get the double over us this season! We didn't lose to them at Villa Park six years ago and have lost only once to them at home, since 2014. We beat them in cup finals in 1957 and 1994. That's the positives out of the way.

They might well not get the opportunity to do the double over us next season. We have not beaten them in a home league game since 1995, when we proved that you "can't win anything with kids". Since than we have run them close a few times and have drawn 7 home league games. Overall, we have won 43 and have drawn 39 of the 167 league games, that there have been between the two clubs. 

Even a shock win, wouldn't take us out of the bottom three, but a win or even a point, would have a significantly positive impact on our confidence and it would go a long way to keeping us up. We really are playing them at the wrong time, but to be fair there hasn't really been a good time for us to play them, for many a year. Come on Villa have a go at them! Get us a win or a draw, but at the very least don't let this game further ruin our already dire goal difference. Keep us in touch with Watford, just make us proud tomorrow Villa! 🤞   

• Like 3

Just like the Liverpool game this should be another easy three points. I don't think Man Utd will even bother getting on the coach, they know the journey will be a complete waste of their time, they may as well just forfeit the game. I'm pretty sure the forfeit won't hurt their goal difference as much as when Davis bangs in the goals from all the fantastic service he'll be getting from our dynamic wing play. 🤪🤪

53 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Good old Sepp Blatter saw to that 🤡 

Edited by alreadyexists

We can't try for a 0-0 again, the way United are playing they'll hammer us. We have to be responsible but positive. 

Reina 

Elmo Konsa Mings Taylor 

Grealish McGinn Luiz El Ghazi 

Hourihane 

Davis 

We have to play Hourihane I'd say as a set piece will likely be our best/only chance of scoring.  

Keep the same defence as started against Liverpool but I’d move Jack back to the left forward role, he’s so much more dangerous there. Who plays in midfield, probably Luiz, McGinn and Hourihane for me. El Ghazi on the right, or maybe Elmo. Up front, well, it would have to be Davis or Samatta, neither of which are very inspiring. 

Praying for a lucky night, we need a huge flukey win from somewhere and quick.