Pre-Match Thread - Cup Final 3 of 10

alreadyexists

The reasoned and sane individuals are well aware our squad is very limited and probably not up to the task in this league, but also recognise when something isn’t working (Trezeguet/El Ghazi) and question Smith when he clearly needs to change things. 

Ive said plenty of times in other threads. Our summer business was atrocious and Smith has been dealt a bad hand, it just doesn’t excuse him for getting it wrong so often on matchday.

Im glad he’s changed it today. We’ll still probably lose but I think we’ll lose because we aren’t as good as them, not because we’re set up wrong playing the wrong players. 

7 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Is it:

Nyland

Konsa    Hause    Mings     Targett 

Nakamba

Luiz                 Grealish         Hourihane   

Davis                Samatta

Really excited to see Davis and Samatta up top together. It’s like when each one has played you know they are longing for another forward to play off. 
The old big man/small man tactic could work.

I agree 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Who else saw the footage of DS & Purslow?

5 minutes ago, LoughboroughLion said:

Strange footage on BT - Smith explaining his tactics and midfield three to Purslow in the tunnel with Purslow looking perplexed 

Is this what you’re talking about? What do you think was going on there?

3 minutes ago, chappy said:

Doherty is a big attacking threat

That's where they did us in the 1st game, Doherty and Johnny pushing forward, we couldnt cope with the numbers or how stretched the midfield was

Again its how other teams use space better than us, wolves stretch the field, we put men wide to cover it and their excellent CM has more space, we can get grealish to stretch the game and create space for others but then the others don't play in that space 

2 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Missed it. What happened?

He looked unconvinced with 2 up top with no width. Asked what's Smith is gonna do when Traore comes on and rips us a new one on the wings. Also wondering where the space will be for our top player Grealish to play................................Maybe😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I saw it. I think Purslow is waiting to press the button.

Flip it the other way, Smith has just perfectly explained how wolves will play, followed by how we will counter it... During the game it happens exactly what Smith said... But the players are shit and we still lose

Purslow sits there thinking Smith knows his stuff the players just aren't good enough 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

Flip it the other way, Smith has just perfectly explained how wolves will play, followed by how we will counter it... During the game it happens exactly what Smith said... But the players are shit and we still lose

Purslow sits there thinking Smith knows his stuff the players just aren't good enough 

I prefer this version. 

9 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Who else saw the footage of DS & Purslow?

Yes. Got BT on..

Looked like DS was explaing or justifying the dynamics of what looked like how the front 3 would work.. is what I read from it.

Still, very very bizarre and Purslow seemed a bit mythed too.

Hmmmm....