• El Ghazi
    • Trezeguet (for El Ghazi, 69)
    • Samatta (for Davis, 69)
    • Elmohamady (for Konsa, 76)
    • Nakamba (for McGinn, 76)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/06/20 at 22:59

8 minutes ago, sne said:

Nah, I doubt it tbh.

And as for those 2. One was a goal, the other perhaps a penalty but possibly not.

Edit: just seen replays and highlights, did no watch the game.

Fair enough. The 'goal' may have been the spur we needed to really get on with it..... you never know and it's exactly why a decision in the 41st minute cannot be said to have 100% determined the outcome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LancsVillan said:

Anyone else think that the 'goal' not standing had some impact in nothing from VAR for the Mings shirt pull?

I personally don't think he was anywhere near the ball BUT we have seen penalties given for less this season. 

Those two instances sort of equal themselves out

Like @danceoftheshamen alluded to a little earlier, I think that Mings shirt pull would have played out very differently in front of a packed Holte End, the crowd erupting, the players picking up on the energy to badger the ref, the VAR booth feeling compelled to study the incident properly etc. As it was, the whole thing passed off without so much as a murmur from anyone – very disappointing. Much as I admire gentlemanly conduct, we are in a dogfight and the players need to start making themselves a pain in the backside about these moments.

No doubt in my mind it’s a foul according to the letter of the law (the ball is in play and Mings is being dragged to the ground). It’s also exactly the sort of grappling that VAR used to routinely penalise before it became obsessed with shoulders, knees and toes. As for the “he wouldn’t have reached it” point – remember when Chris Wood laid a hand on John O’Shea’s shoulder as a looping ball bounced into the Leicester net? Both of them miles from the ball but VAR was happy to rule a foul against Wood after O’Shea did his little swallow dive. In general, I think we need to get a bit cannier around the psychology of this VAR soap opera we are stuck with.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pintpotvilla said:

This was always going to be a strange game but I thought we played pretty well and now have the advantage of already playing in these circumstances

It could prove to be advantageous against Chelsea on Sunday. A win is not out of the question if we can play like that again.

Yes, I think we have to look upon it as having had a one game start, and now with better awareness and fitness than others.

• Like 1

Having had time to reflect, Sheffield deserved nothing from this game and we played really well. 

OK we got away with the goal* but watching the sky highlights that was the only Sheffield attack they showed.  They didn't really trouble us all game other than the one we gave them, and it would have been a travisty to have lost that way. 

14 shots to their 5,  6 on target to their 1,  12 corners to their 4. 

They were looking to go 5th and we were substantially better than them.  Its very encouraging for the remaining games, got to keep that level up and make sure we don't make any more errors. 

* Everyone saying we were lucky and Sheffield were robbed have clearly forgotten Crystal Palace.  Let's chalk that up as a righting of a wrong. 

• Like 1

On 17/06/2020 at 20:04, Davkaus said:

I honestly feel ashamed about us stealing a point when Nyland and Davis clearly knew it was over the line. 

Maybe the players thought it was Karma for the goal that was literally stolen from us at Crystal Palace, a goal we earned with great football instead of a jammy undeserved goal from a silly error. 

Edited by sidcow

On 17/06/2020 at 20:09, blunther said:

I thought Hourihane looked good in there. Was very 'busy'. We still had our trademark massive cock up that led to a goal, but for once we got the right side of a refereeing howler. Can't give a goal away every game and stay up. 

As to football restarting, I'm not sure how to feel. I've been a grumpy bastard all day cos I've been stressed out about the match. I haven't missed that at all. Need to really think now about whether I want to renew my season ticket or not, as I haven't missed it like I thought I would. It's a lot of Saturdays and Sundays away from a young family. 

carry-on-camping-hattie-jacques-kenneth-

I watched the twelve minutes of highlights on Villa TV yesterday and I agree with those who've said we looked good. We had way more shots than them: 14 to their 5, and way more on target too: 6 to their 1. So we really dominated in both those stats. They created almost nothing! Their one notable attempt was the goal they scored and even that wasn't properly dangerous as Nyland should have caught it at the first attempt.

Davis had a great shot on target, so did Hourihane, so did McGinn.

In the first half Grealish put a few dangerous corners in and in the second he  was creative in open play with several very good creative moments of dribbling and passing.

I thought Davis was a bit unlucky with his 'sitter' because there was a defender right in his way which may well have put him off. But he was clumsy to push Nyland into the goal by walking into him! Doh! :s Hope he doesn't repeat that ! 

On 17/06/2020 at 21:30, Keener window-cleaner said:

I'm slightly disappointed by Jack, thought he was a bit anonymous, but good to know we have more to give there. Nice haircut though!

blink-182 wtf GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

blink-182 wtf GIF

Wtf?!  : D

I think that might be the Mexican actor Gael Garcia Bernal.

I admit it wasn't one of Grealish's best games and that he was a bit quiet by his high standards, but that pass to El Ghazi, wow, stunning. : ) I saw two top dribbles from him in the highlights but he usually makes more, it's true. I was tempted to give motm to Davis, but then took into account his pushing Nyland into the goal and putting that close range header over. He was good apart from those two moments though.

Edited by robby b

1 hour ago, robby b said:

Wtf?!  : D

I think that might be the Mexican actor Gael Garcia Bernal.

I admit it wasn't one of Grealish's best games and that he was a bit quiet by his high standards, but that pass to El Ghazi, wow, stunning. : ) I saw two top dribbles from him in the highlights but he usually makes more, it's true. I was tempted to give motm to Davis, but then took into account his pushing Nyland into the goal and putting that close range header over. He was good apart from those two moments though.

It was the "nice haircut" that prompted the response! 🙂

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What i don't get is why VAR can't step in when the goal line technology isn't working.

They could easily have used VAR and reviewed it.

Yeah I don't get that either because I thought that in the VAR room they have various screens with different viewpoints and several assistants looking at them. If that's the case then one of them should have noticed that Nyland was teetering precariously backwards into the goal and that he was suddenly holding the ball right next to the post (and in fact actually behind it) !

On 17/06/2020 at 22:55, Five Ken McNaughts said:

Random observation that really got my back up... Why is it that when El Ghazi is kicked in the box, and Villa players ask Michael Oliver to check with VAR, that he has to screw his face up and run off shouting “Get out of it”? Back when VAR was introduced at the last World Cup, the refs would always just make a placatory gesture, put a finger to their ear and say “Don’t worry. It’s being checked”. Oliver’s behaviour is clearly giving a steer to the underlings in the booth who aren’t going to undermine his little display of authority. The upshot is we never even see a replay and are told within five seconds that the appeal has been summarily dismissed (how many available angles did they check in that time? No more than one – briefly – that’s for sure). It might seem petty to mention after the reprieve we got a bit later, but to me it’s just one more example of crap VAR usage and poor Premier League officiating. 

It comes back to VARs reluctance to overrule the ref.  Unless the ref has missed an assault with a knife or concealed bazooka they just go with his decision even if it's clearly dodgy. 

Unless of course the ref has misses a foot offside by half the width of shoe leather and then they are for some reason positively gleeful to inform him he's missed something. 

• Like 1

A point was certainly deserved by Villa. They offered more than Sheffield United who did a good impression of a bunch of cloggers.............you can hear the team talk about targeting Jack and stop him anyway you can.  ASAP.

All this talk about Sheffield were robbed etc etc, I cannot take to. Unless a goal is missed / incorrectly given etc in the 91st minute, no one can say that is how the game would finish.  Yes the ball was over the line and United should have been 1 up............however there was still over a half to play and nobody knows what would have happened. ............ The talk of injustice if Villa stay up by one point is also rubbish...........conveniently forgotten Crystal Palace then? (  and there Palace had no time to do anything about it)  Its just football, sometimes you get the breaks sometimes you don't.

Villa could have raised their game and add some luck and they could have come back to still draw or win. Yes, SU could have gone on to win even by more than one goal as Villa chased the game........but no one knows so get over it. 

Where was VAR?  noticeable by its absence to interfere especially on a couple of possible Villa penalties and I would have thought it could have given a decision on Uniteds "non goal" missed by the officials?  

McGinn concerned me slightly as he seemed to be in his "run everywhere phase but have little influence on the game" (he had patches of that up here) , but hopefully he is just getting his confidence back following his injury.

Anyway, upwards and onwards and hopefully Villa can kick on from here .

All the best Villans and keep the faith.......believe....

• Like 1

Hahahahaahaaa, just read on a news site that Sheffield Utd manager is considering legal action regarding the "goal".

What a spunktrumpet.

spacer.png

Â