The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

Suprised no one has mentioned Barbecue sauce on Pizza. A other abomination. 

I don't understand why red hot chilli sauce exists.  See stupidly hot curries, same ting. What's the point other than macho bullshit. 

There was something else but I've forgotten it. 

I don't mind a BBQ base pizza every now and again. Dominos do a BBQ Meateor pizza... bbq base and loads of meat (insert gif). Very nice.

As for the hot sauce/curries I don't think its macho at all. I have vindaloos and I live alone... i'm impressing no-one with my machismo ;) 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

As for the hot sauce/curries I don't think its macho at all. I have vindaloos and I live alone... i'm impressing no-one with my machismo ;) 

You do it for the ring sting afterwards, takes you back to a happier place 

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Xela said:

I don't mind a BBQ base pizza every now and again. Dominos do a BBQ Meateor pizza... bbq base and loads of meat (insert gif). Very nice.

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spoony said:

In lockdown I have learned to make my fav Chinese dishes. I love cooking and also realised that as only 1 in 20 Chinese restaurants are actually decent, I should just make the Chinese food how I want it. So now I can smash Chinese spare ribs, crispy shredded chicken or beef, egg fried rice and prawn toast. It’s all dead easy and way cheaper to do it yourself. Just need to learn to make prawn crackers!

I want to do the same with Indian food but no matter what I do I just can’t get that Indian takeaway taste. I don’t care if what I’m making is more genuine or whatnot, I want to recreate delicious greasy Indian takeaway heaven. Any suggestions??

I've always used Pataks curry paste.  NOT sauce, gotta be the paste.  It's not 100% like a proper takeaway but near as damn it and in fact better than a lot I've had* and way better than any supermarket curry. 

* there are also a ton of poor curry houses.  It took me literally 20 years and dozens of different restaurants before I found a replacement for The Ghandi in Hall Green. 

Someone on here recommended Goldfish Chinese curry sauce, can't remember who but I thank them because it really is an identical match for a Chinese curry.  

snapshotimagehandler_982670162.jpeg?h=54

The beauty of doing your own for me is you never get any dodgy meat. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The beauty of doing your own for me is you never get any dodgy meat. 

I'll save you the time.

5103938743_24586c6593_b.jpg

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Spoony said:

In lockdown I have learned to make my fav Chinese dishes. I love cooking and also realised that as only 1 in 20 Chinese restaurants are actually decent, I should just make the Chinese food how I want it. So now I can smash Chinese spare ribs, crispy shredded chicken or beef, egg fried rice and prawn toast. It’s all dead easy and way cheaper to do it yourself. Just need to learn to make prawn crackers!

I want to do the same with Indian food but no matter what I do I just can’t get that Indian takeaway taste. I don’t care if what I’m making is more genuine or whatnot, I want to recreate delicious greasy Indian takeaway heaven. Any suggestions??

Homemade curry paste. I was in your situation, watched a tonne of videos and now I've nailed it.

Just every time you make it, blend up a tonne of veg into a paste, cook it off in butter, then add your bits to customise the curry. Spices are key too. Garam masala, cumin, cinnamon, cardamom.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brumstopdogs said:

So then which one of these would you go for?

new-vue_900x620_3.jpg

Surely has to be Harlem Hot!

The Yankee.  Keep it stripped back and pure.  There is no place for fancy hot dogs in my world. 

If I was served a hot dog looking like that it would make my blood boil.  Why have they drizzled all the sauce around the outside of the bun?  It's going to be get all over your fingers when you try to eat it. 

If I went to my favourite pasty shop in Cornwall and they handed me a lovely cornish pasty with the gravy and swede dumped all over the top of it I would punch them. 

3 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Which one is vegan?

I'm a vegan btw.

Nacho Libre seems to have some green stuff on it so I'm pretty sure you would be OK with that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

So then which one of these would you go for?

new-vue_900x620_3.jpg

Surely has to be Harlem Hot!

I used to love a chilli-dog right up until I ate a few of them from a vendor in Atlanta Airport and was subsequently struck down with the worst food poisoning I’ve ever had upon returning home. 

Although I ate other things that day I know for a fact it was the chilli dogs, they looked ropey as shit though I still ate them.

Not had one since.

2 hours ago, Xela said:

I have the bbq base on my cheeseless ones, banging if you ask me ;) 

• Like 1

Â