Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

Just now, HongKongVillan said:

Tbf none of them deserved to play in centre court, they are both dreadful, just happens Heather is worse

I think the German girl definitely has some potential. I thought she showed decent court awareness, to which Watson had no answers whatsoever. 

As for them being on Centre Court, the fact Watson's British could have something to do with it. 

Is 'nationality' all becoming a bit arbitrary? 

Emma Raducanu 

Father: Romanian 
Mother: Chinese 
Born: Canada 
Educated: England 
Represents: Great Britain 

Cameron Norrie: 

Father: Scottish 
Mother: Welsh 
Born: South Africa 
Educated: New Zealand/USA 
Represented: New Zealand (2010-2013) 
Represents: Great Britain (2013- ) 

• Like 4

English tennis should be really proud of its South African born, Kiwi raised, scottish fathered and named, welsh mothered Cameron Norrie who gave up representing on middling NZ tennis funding aged 18 to secure more lucrative development in London for the last 7 years 😄

C’mon Cam! 

Edit: Dammit Moon man, I spent too long fact checking and now it just looks like I’ve copied you 😀

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Norrie-Goffin. They’ll both have to fancy that. What a chance to get to a semi. Could Sinner possibly be too young, too good for this version of Djokovic. He’s so relentless, gets every ball back. He definitely has that mental toughness. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t go on to win a lot of slams. 

Sinner will be the first test novax-the-bell has had this tournament. Hopefully at least knackers him out. Norrie Goffin will be good, both energetic who can keep going rallying with good defensive work. I'd back Norries fresher legs to edge it I think. 

3 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Tim's doing well against Djokovic, just levelled it, started off looking like Novak was going to walk it but he's getting a tougher match than he was expecting so far

We are due a Djokovic medical time out any minute now. His usual stunt to halt the other guy’s momentum. 

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

Tim's doing well against Djokovic, just levelled it, started off looking like Novak was going to walk it but he's getting a tougher match than he was expecting so far

For one set, then it was way too easy.

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Is 'nationality' all becoming a bit arbitrary? 

Emma Raducanu 

Father: Romanian 
Mother: Chinese 
Born: Canada 
Educated: England 
Represents: Great Britain 

Cameron Norrie: 

Father: Scottish 
Mother: Welsh 
Born: South Africa 
Educated: New Zealand/USA 
Represented: New Zealand (2010-2013) 
Represents: Great Britain (2013- ) 

Raducanu moved here when she was 2, grew up here, has an English accent, and afaik has had a British passport from a young age. Saying she's not British is like saying John Barnes or Raheem Sterling shouldn't play for England.

Norrie's parents are both British, so hard to argue against him too. He represented NZ as a child (was 17 when he switched to GB).

I think both of them are a bit different from the sportspeople who switch allegiance as adults.

• Like 2

I’d have no gripe with Norrie putting his lot in with Britain. NZ tennis gave him in total about 10 k for funding ( pittance ) He has no end of talent and he’s super fit but he certainly wouldn’t be where he was if he didn’t get the backing he got from the LTA. 

10 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Raducanu moved here when she was 2, grew up here, has an English accent, and afaik has had a British passport from a young age. Saying she's not British is like saying John Barnes or Raheem Sterling shouldn't play for England

I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort. Just pointing out the increasingly flexible concept (and arguably, irrelevance) of 'nationality' in the world of 2022. Anyway, Wimbledon isn't the Davis Cup or the Olympics, the players are all competing as individuals, rather than representing their countries. 

• Like 1

Â