Relegation thread

Knutserov13

8 hours ago, chappy said:

To me, I think some of these fans want to see that he bottled it as it fits in with a weird narrative (at least held by people around me in the lower Holte) of El Ghazi being lazy/not up for the fight/an awful player. It was a terrible miss but I don’t think he bottled going for it. Not intended to come across as ‘better fan’, just disturbs me the anti AEG sentiment from a lot of fans.

That's fair - I haven't been to the Holte in a decade so I don't think I'm influenced by anyone in particular, by my first (and second and tenth) thought was that he bottled it. I think lot of players from Nat Lighthouse to Nathan Baker would have buried it, but that's obviously just opinion and reasonable people can disagree.  

Also, I'm fine with anyone having negative sentiment towards a player and I his should be something up for discussion - it's the personal attacks on social media that are repugnant.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wondering what effect Everton's result could have today for when they play Bournemouth.

E.g if they lose is it damaged morale, with so many games without a result. Or will it give them extra desire to finish on a high.

55 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

That's fair - I haven't been to the Holte in a decade so I don't think I'm influenced by anyone in particular, by my first (and second and tenth) thought was that he bottled it. I think lot of players from Nat Lighthouse to Nathan Baker would have buried it, but that's obviously just opinion and reasonable people can disagree.  

Also, I'm fine with anyone having negative sentiment towards a player and I his should be something up for discussion - it's the personal attacks on social media that are repugnant.

Have a like for using the word repugnant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Wondering what effect Everton's result could have today for when they play Bournemouth.

E.g if they lose is it damaged morale, with so many games without a result. Or will it give them extra desire to finish on a high.

I’m hoping Everton win, build a bit of confidence and finish on a high. It’s currently 0-0, and may well end that way. Clutching at permutation straws though here. 

12 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I’m hoping Everton win, build a bit of confidence and finish on a high. It’s currently 0-0, and may well end that way. Clutching at permutation straws though here. 

There's really no permutation to predict which Everton show up on the final day. They've been so erratic all year. As long as they can eke out a draw, we're laughing.

13 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

There's really no permutation to predict which Everton show up on the final day. They've been so erratic all year. As long as they can eke out a draw, we're laughing.

Very true. They’re one up now but they’re very inconsistent. 

Interesting peak behind the scenes at Watford in The Athletic today. It sounds like a complete mess, a lovely relegatey mess... 

Spoiler

The moment that Nigel Pearson and Gino Pozzo became engaged in a heated exchange of views after Watford’s 3-1 defeat to West Ham, it was inevitable that he would be sacked.

Pozzo told the players on Sunday that the decision had been taken in the best interest of the club. And The Athleticcan reveal:

The hierarchy had concerns over recent tactical decisions

Some players found out before Pearson himself

Tensions in recent meetings over future recruitment

Some players looking for a move due to instability of the club

Pearson surprised by sacking and was relaxed with West Ham United counterparts on Friday night

The disagreement focused on the under-par performance, especially during the first half, which left the club three points clear of safety with two games to go.

It’s understood Pozzo and technical director Filippo Giraldi had raised concerns in recent weeks about some of the tactical decisions that Pearson had made, bringing poor starts in the majority of matches after lockdown, and this was the final straw.

In a match Watford could ill afford to lose, it’s thought the decision to replace the injured Etienne Capoue with Tom Cleverley rather than a more defensive option of Nathaniel Chalobah disappointed the hierarchy, who watched on as two goals were conceded within the first 10 minutes. Although the first phase of the second half saw a change of shape and Abdoulaye Doucoure play in his more familiar advanced role after a reshuffle, the substitutions made — including the removal of the Frenchman shortly after goalscorer Troy Deeney — were also not to the liking of Pearson’s bosses as it meant any momentum for a comeback was quickly lost.

Adam Masina, who had a disappointing first half, also faced the ignominy of being taken off at half-time, but Pearson’s lack of faith in Jose Holebas —Watford’s only reserve left-back who was omitted from the squad altogether — meant Kiko Femenia had to switch sides and Adrian Mariappa was introduced at right-back, which further undermined Pearson’s original selection. There were rumours after the game that Pearson and Masina had been involved in a physical altercation but all those involved vehemently deny that was the case.

It meant the writing was on the wall but it took a further 36 hours for the head coach to find out his fate.

It’s understood that despite the apparent disagreement with Pozzo, both Pearson and his assistant Craig Shakespeare spent more than 20 minutes having tea with West Ham counterparts after the game. Sources told The Athletic that they were both relaxed and confident of staying up despite the result, even though they were uncertain whether they would stay in their jobs beyond the end of the season. It’s also understood that some players were still said to be in support of Pearson at that stage due to him having changed the culture at the club after his appointment in December. Pearson himself was said to be surprised by the decision to fire him and feels that results before his appointment compared to after speak for themselves.

Pearson and Shakespeare, who have helped Watford move from the bottom of the table to three points clear of the relegation zone, were then called by technical director Giraldi to a meeting away from Watford’s London Colney training ground on Sunday morning. Meanwhile, the players trained under the guidance of Hayden Mullins and Graham Stack, who will now be in charge of the final two games of the season against Manchester City and Arsenal. It’s thought Deeney may also be given licence to have an even greater role in tactical decision-making alongside the pair in a quasi-player-coach position, especially if his knee injury persists.

Many of the squad didn’t find out until lunchtime that their third permanent head coach of the season had been dismissed. Pozzo called the squad to a meeting at the training ground at around 3pm and said the decision had been taken in the best interests of the club. However, The Athletic has learned that some senior figures within the squad and coaching staff were informed in advance.

The club had informed members of the media that Pearson would be holding his news conference before Tuesday’s meeting against Manchester City on Monday at 9:45am. Watford’s official Twitter account even published an article about Pearson’s view on the relegation battle including the headline “We have to get over it and make sure we bounce back” at 12:01pm. Within two hours, sources had confirmed that the club would be trying to get a new manager bounce instead. The Monday news conference was then pushed back to 3pm without a name given for who would be in front of the microphone.

It’s understood talks over the compensation due to Pearson and his assistant, which would take into account future earnings and potential survival bonuses, contributed to the delay of an official announcement of the sacking until 8:30pm. Shortly afterwards, perhaps fittingly, the club’s website crashed and the statement was replaced by a “bad gateway” error message.

Pearson had said in the build-up to the West Ham match that he hoped to be in charge beyond the end of the season and that he was comfortable to delay any decision until after the final game against Arsenal. However, The Athletic has learnt that discussions that took place during lockdown between Pearson, Shakespeare and the club over an extension highlighted differences of opinion related to involvement in player recruitment. Those differences severely lessened the chances of him being retained even if he kept the team in the Premier League. It’s also thought that alternative head coach options had also been discussed for after Pearson’s departure.

Mullins and Stack — who were promoted to interim coaches from the under-23s set-up earlier this season after the sacking of Quique Sanchez Flores — have the support of senior members of the squad and impressed the hierarchy with their approach in the games against Leicester City and Crystal Palace earlier this season before they were retained in Pearson’s coaching staff.

One element that is understood to have been disappointing to the club’s hierarchy is that younger members of the squad, including Domingos Quina and Joao Pedro, had not been used more, especially during Watford’s recent run of just one win in 11 matches before back-to-back wins against Norwich City and Newcastle United. Similar to when Sanchez Flores was sacked last year, even though it appears there is no immediate permanent successor ready to take over, the club feel a new lead voice in the dressing room will be of benefit. Yet Pearson has a track record of keeping teams in the Premier League and has never managed a side who have been relegated under his guidance.

The decision to transition to a fifth coaching team after Javi Gracia, Sanchez Flores, Mullins/Stack and Pearson has left some members of the squad surprised. A source close to one of them said, “It’s turmoil, they’ve pushed the panic button because they want a mini bounce, but West Ham was the tipping point.”

However, with many of the team facing a significant decrease in wages if the club is relegated — it’s thought some face a 50 per cent wage cut — it could prove to be the jolt that is needed going into a vital final week of the season, however bad the PR. The Athletic has learnt from representatives of two high-profile players within the squad that the decision is unlikely to curry favour with their clients. The two players may be more likely to now look for a move away from the club due to uncertainty over its future direction. One former head coach said that he wasn’t surprised that there had been another change due to the “organisation getting worse” and that it was always “difficult” to work at the club.

Watford could still stay up without winning another point if Bournemouth or Aston Villa fail to win one of their combined three matches of the season. Pearson’s win rate of 35 per cent and points-per-game ratio (1.25) is the best of any Watford manager or head coach in their Premier League history. Nevertheless, the club’s ruthless owners now head into their 14th managerial roll of the dice in seven years hoping it pays off. As one source put it, “It’s like they’re at a blackjack table and are ready to twist one more time at the end of the night.”

Edited by It's Your Round
Long article should have been hidden
  • Like 2

Even if they were to beat Manchester City just 1-0, it would mean they would be six points ahead of us and have a better goal difference by five goals, so to stand a chance we'd have win both games and somehow catch up with their goal difference over those two games. Them just getting a point would put massive pressure on us because it would mean that we would then at least have to get a point later on or we will be offically relegated, basically we have to better their result tomorrow to at least take it to the last day of the season.