Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Meant to be going to a wedding in Cyprus in May, but can't see it going ahead as this is only going to get worse.

Payment is supposed to come out of my bank in a week for it. Does anyone know if I bought insurance now whether it would cover any cancellations for Corona? 

Strictly speaking there is no block on travelling so you should be fine purchasing. But there is always a caveat on whether you know any reason why travel could be cancelled. Any prudent insurer would put a warning on any purchases now. If the trip isn’t allowed to go ahead, your more likely to get money back through ABTA

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Strictly speaking there is no block on travelling so you should be fine purchasing. But there is always a caveat on whether you know any reason why travel could be cancelled. Any prudent insurer would put a warning on any purchases now. If the trip isn’t allowed to go ahead, your more likely to get money back through ABTA

Thanks mate!

I'm half tempted to cancel the booking and lose the deposit and re-book next month. It's already £400 cheaper than when I originally booked it. 

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Thanks mate!

I'm half tempted to cancel the booking and lose the deposit and re-book next month. It's already £400 cheaper than when I originally booked it. 

So it looks like a lot have now  stopped selling certain aspects of policies, meaning that if you purchased now you may not be covered... so you may be better just losing the deposit as you said 

“But as unexpected costs like these add up, travel insurers are having to adjust the products they offer. For holidaymakers, it means a new need to double check your policy will cover you if you do decide to travel.” Insurance

9 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Why the hell are football matches still happening in the UK? Why are any big events still happening?

Complete madness

Weren’t you the guy who was demanding to go on a plane to holiday in Spain a couple of pages back?

29 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Why the hell are football matches still happening in the UK? Why are any big events still happening?

Complete madness

People voted for Brexit because of how shit life is for far too many. Why should they stop their lives for this? Just because the experts say so...

24 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Weren’t you the guy who was demanding to go on a plane to holiday in Spain a couple of pages back?

And then I cancelled my entire trip losing hundreds because I did the maths and measured the risk, What's the relevancy?

And a stadium of 50k+ plus from 2 countries is not a plane.

Edited by StefanAVFC

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

And then I cancelled my entire trip losing hundreds because I did the maths and measured the risk, What's the relevancy?

And a stadium of 50k+ plus from 2 countries is not a plane.

To be honest, a plane is probably significantly more infectious given the recycled air.

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

To be honest, a plane is probably significantly more infectious given the recycled air.

Plane air is filtered with a HEPA and mixed with fresh air ... it’s thus cleaner than the air in the average  office 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Apparently not.  I read an article yesterday that explained how, because a plane is relatively small, the air is recycled more frequently than in a normal air-conditioned environment like an office.  It all goes through a HEPA filter too.

Surfaces are higher risk because of the close proximity of all the passengers.

EDIT - Tone beat me to it.

• Like 1

Aren’t lots of air crew trying to bring some sort of class action because of the quality of aircraft air they have to breath all their working hours?

Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found here. 
https://www.ft.com/content/329368b6-5161-11e9-b401-8d9ef1626294

Some 51 pilots and cabin crew in the UK have initiated legal action against five airlines over claims they have been poisoned by toxic cabin air, a union has said. Union Unite said it had independent expert evidence that the air in most commercial airline cabins can cause irreversible neurological damage and chronic illness among susceptible individuals. The expert evidence will be presented in 51 court cases involving staff working for EasyJet, British Airways, Thomas Cook, Virgin Atlantic and Jet2.

Appreciate that’s not about viruses, but also not sure a HEPA filter is much help against the guy sharing your armrest for 4 hours.

Edited by chrisp65

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Aren’t lots of air crew trying to bring some sort of class action because of the quality of aircraft air they have to breath all their working hours?

That’s about toxic fumes from the fuel getting  into the air and seems to be Unite v EASA , who the cleaner than your office air line comes from 

Edited by tonyh29

56 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I met a property agent today who left me with a set of keys to post back through a letterbox.

He’s got the rest of the week off ‘for Cheltenham’.

76596-large.jpeg

He might have wasted his holidays, rumours now that delay phase is going to start tomorrow.

Schools to close, working from home, sporting events cancelled etc

Â