Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

This is as much as a generalisation that nick and sidcow were complaining about.

Millions of young people who spent a fortune on their education won't ever be able to own a house. For a lot of people, the pandemic has made this even worse.

And even the students and party goers that you belittle; it may seem trivial to you but they will only ever get 1 results day, 1 freshers' week, 1 18th birthday. They're not life-threatening events, but they're still important.

I'm not sure they're important enough to warrant financial compensation. 

It's shit that people have missed out on those but it's also shit that people haven't been able to attend funerals or be with loved ones in hospitals. 

• Like 1

So, Wales protective measures.  You can be fined £60 for going into the office (with your company fined £1000 too) but they are relying on "guidance for the way that people behave in their own private lives".  It is completely mad. 

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

To be fair, pretty much the whole country has been saying we should recognise and reward the health workers for the entirety of the pandemic 

They got a weekly clap and a u turn on how much they paid for parking. What more do these people want? 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Many students have suffered a lot through this. More than most groups I know. Not from disease and starvation, but from severe loneliness, depression and from having their academic progress halted and stalled. 

Economic compensation might not be the answer, but as a society we’d be wise to acknowledge their sacrifice and never call them spoilt or weak for speaking out about what they’ve given up. They deserve that. 

Nah. Something something smashed avocado.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Stuff was SO expensive you had to actually repair everything instead of going out and buying another new one.

Stuff is still expensive, it just has built in obsolescence now and the manufacturers make it so that many stuffs are expensive to repair

27 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

This is as much as a generalisation that nick and sidcow were complaining about.

Millions of young people who spent a fortune on their education won't ever be able to own a house. For a lot of people, the pandemic has made this even worse.

And even the students and party goers that you belittle; it may seem trivial to you but they will only ever get 1 results day, 1 freshers' week, 1 18th birthday. They're not life-threatening events, but they're still important.

Yeah to be fair that’s fair. My bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

Many students have suffered a lot through this. More than most groups I know. Not from disease and starvation, but from severe loneliness, depression and from having their academic progress halted and stalled. 

Economic compensation might not be the answer, but as a society we’d be wise to acknowledge their sacrifice and never call them spoilt or weak for speaking out about what they’ve given up. They deserve that. 

You have to be kidding right? What about the elderly who are isolated from their families in their homes, in nursing homes, seeing nobody for days.  Hearing their vulnerable loved ones dying from their own partners to their friends that they couldn’t see or say goodbye to.  To the ones who suffered through severe impacts of the illness of Covid themselves because it effects them much more being vulnerable than the younger, fitter generation.  

Edited by nick76

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You have to be kidding right? What about the elderly who are isolated from their families in their homes, in nursing homes, seeing nobody for days.  Hearing their vulnerable loved ones dying from their own partners to their friends that they couldn’t see or say goodbye to.  To the ones who suffered through severe impacts of the illness of Covid themselves because it effects them much more being vulnerable than the younger, fitter generation.  

just bizarre!

But why are these mutually exclusive? 

What did you actually find bizarre? All I actually said was students as a group have suffered and sacrificed. I didn’t say ‘students have suffered and f*** the old’.

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Sorry this is such a poor take!  A global pandemic and the big deal is missing freshers week or a birthday when people are dying, people are losing family members, the economy is suffering.

Just now, El Zen said:

But why are these mutually exclusive? 

What did you actually find bizarre? 

Because you said

Many students have suffered a lot through this. More than most groups I know.

That’s bizarre when it’s not true as I described.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Because you said

That’s bizarre when it’s not true as I described.

Because ‘most’ isn’t the same as ‘all’. 

What I wrote really shouldn’t be all that controversial. 

• Like 1

https://popularrationalism.substack.com/p/spike-only-vaccine-a-colossal-blunder

This makes for some quite interesting reading. Gives another spin on whether the vaccine rollouts are helping or harming in the big picture.

As one poster alluded to a good few pages ago, I do agree that this pandemic should really encourage people to look after themselves and be as healthy as possible, as the best initial response to a virus (and plenty of other ailments) is a healthy body and healthy immune system. Problem is, in the real world it just isn't that easy. Unhealthy food is cheap. People are busy. Sometimes being unhealthy isn't always because someone chooses to be.

3 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Because ‘most’ isn’t the same as ‘all’. 

What I wrote really shouldn’t be all that controversial. 

Well it is… every group has suffered

Elderly as I described

Children not getting in school teaching

The vulnerable (not due to age)

Parents juggling children and work

Healthcare and 1st line risking their lives

Small Business owners losing businesses

Travel industry workers

Part time workers

Entertainment workers

The list goes on and on….everybody has suffered and to single out students, saying they have suffered ‘more than most groups’ is just wrong!

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Sorry this is such a poor take!  A global pandemic and the big deal is missing freshers week or a birthday when people are dying, people are losing family members, the economy is suffering.

What's my take?

As an aside, focusing only on the physical impacts of a global pandemic is how you end up with a completely lost generation. 

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Well it is… every group has suffered

Elderly as I described

Children not getting in school teaching

The vulnerable (not due to age)

Parents juggling children and work

Healthcare and 1st line risking their lives

Small Business owners losing businesses

Travel industry workers

Part time workers

Entertainment workers

The list goes on and on….everybody has suffered and to single out students, saying they have suffered ‘more than most groups’ is just wrong!

Fine. Agree or disagree, but don’t call it bizarre. I said students have suffered, more than most groups I know. They at least deserve our sympathy and respect, not to be mocked and belittled. That is my message. If you find that bizarre, we experience reality through different parameters. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I said students have suffered, more than most groups I know

Bizarre take as I’ve explained above given the other groups I’ve mentioned.

Edited by nick76
  • Haha 1

If today's missing out students are missing out on life events, this is what they would be missing if they were me

Results Day - 4 in total, my first A Level one was a pretty shit day, my second was better but as I was resitting, I didn't really have any mates left to share it with

18th Birthday - can't remember if I had a party or went out, possibly went down the pub with my mates, completely unmemorable

Freshers Week - a complete and utter drunken shit fest full of knobheads I never wanted to meet again. I made my lifelong Uni mates much later in the Academic Year

Graduation - didn't even know I'd graduated until the evening after when I was informed by a friend that they read my name out and after that point my degree couldn't legally be taken back

Those life events? If they were me, they missed nothing

‘kin ‘eck, it’s like Monty Python’s 3 Yorkshiremen in here:

”In the pandemic my mental health really suffered”

”That’s luxury, in the pandemic my mental health suffered AND I could have died”

”That’s now’t, my mental health suffered AND I actually died”

• Haha 4

Â