Generic Virus Thread

villakram

This is the story in the Times

Boris Johnson is unlikely to impose further coronavirus restrictions before Christmas after delaying a decision today.

The prime minister called a cabinet meeting this afternoon to discuss the latest data on the spread of the Omicron variant and whether a two-week circuit breaker banning indoor mixing was needed.

The Times

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Unless you have dogs to walk or shops to go to of course. Can’t be applying this lockdown to literally everyone, only the ones who are positive but who aren’t careful. 

Dogs need walking. You cannot not take your dog out for 10 days . 

1 hour ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Positive test for my daughter today, she's 7. The rest of us all negative, my son only had it a few weeks ago and none of us caught it. Just in the middle of cancelling all my Christmas plans.

Sorry.

My father in law tested positive today. We are also cancelling our Christmas plans (at theirs) which can only be considered a good thing!!

It is an impressive number of vaccines given.

It has meant pretty much everyone capable of giving jabs has been seconded.

The upshot of that, in crude round numbers, is that all the health visitors and midwives and nursing staff that were part of the care package for children are now working the vaccine centres. Again. Which is good.

What it also means is maybe a thousand children in every town once again going unobserved. Basically a skeleton crew of social workers, potentially with a few hundred case notes each. Which might well work out at less than 10 minuted per case per week. That’s 10 minutes including travelling time if you are to do house visits, and it also presumes there is no admin reporting to be done, no general meetings and briefings, no toilet breaks.

If we are to prevent tragedies, the social workers will just have to up their game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

44 deaths recorded today, this is starting to spiral out of control.

Yeah, probably just old people as well.  The world is probably a better place without them.

3 minutes ago, phily85 said:

Hasnt this been the same sort of numbers for weeks now?

It's actually lower that it has been for quite a while, as 100+ a day was pretty common last month. It'll take a few days yet before the Omicron deaths start to show in the figures though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, phily85 said:

20-12-2021 44 147,261
19-12-2021 45 147,218
18-12-2021 125 147,173
17-12-2021 111 147,048
16-12-2021 146 146,937
15-12-2021 165 146,791
14-12-2021 150 146,627
13-12-2021 38 146,477

Figures are always low on Monday but it's 16% up on last Monday.

It takes about 2 weeks for new cases to get hospitalised and 3 weeks to die.  The recent uptick of new cases will only just about be getting admitted so we will have to wait another week or 2 before we can tell if there is going to be a big increase in deaths.

Edited by sidcow

11 minutes ago, phily85 said:

Months even. I understand the deaths from Omicron won’t be factoring in yet but the general consensus is that it’s milder not more severe, I see no reason for more restrictions at this point.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, probably just old people as well.  The world is probably a better place without them.

It's horrible mate, but people die everyday of all sorts of illnesses. As awful as it is, you can't just focus on few Covid deaths. If it escalates again we may start to worry, but more people are dying from flu at this present time.

People flapping about transmission rather than actual deaths, so no real need to run for the hills.

• Like 1

Well apparently they have said that they will keep data under constant review and will only react to protect the public and our NHS if needed.

ISNT THAT WHAT MOST PEOPLE ON HERE HAVBE BEEN ASKING FOR?

Apparently "The arguments either way are finely balanced"

It makes me laugh, people who don't want lockdowns coming on here moaning about The Government.  It's the Government keeping the scientists at bay and putting off lockdowns.  Make no mistake, if the science was followed we would be in full lockdown right now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Well apparently they have said that they will keep data under constant review and will only react to protect the public and our NHS if needed.

It makes me laugh, people who don't want lockdowns coming on here moaning about The Government.  It's the Government keeping the scientists at bay and putting off lockdowns.  Make no mistake, if the science was followed we would be in full lockdown right now.

But I thought the main thing we need to do is follow the science.

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes this would be the case as the scientist job is to look at work case scenario and it's the only scientific way of eliminating the virus completely.

Unfortunately we are not going to be able to do this in the real world as there are many other considerations to take into account

Â