Generic Virus Thread

villakram

13 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

600k vaccinations in a day is pretty impressive and quite the ramp up, no idea if that is sustainable but if it is then they’ll fly through the first four groups.

Just think when new vaccines come on stream also.  There are 2 more arriving in Spring/summer.  You would imagine that SOMEWHERE is having shortages now with 600,000 being done. 

I guess a word of caution is that the start of the week had much smaller numbers presumably because of snow delays so to get to such a big number today they may have been using buffer stocks built up from then.  It may not be possible to repeat these kinds of numbers with normal supply.  But let's hope they can. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sne said:

How about this new Chines testing method that they claim is much more accurate :o And I thought it was bad enough with the nose and mouth tests.

cfec5dce64e04346b9e291fcc8bbab6c_md.jpg

So I take it you first do the anal probe and then you do the mouth swab? 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

So I take it you first do the anal probe and then you do the mouth swab? 

I'd assume so, if in doubt just google ass to mouth for instructive videos 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

600k vaccinations in a day is pretty impressive and quite the ramp up, no idea if that is sustainable but if it is then they’ll fly through the first four groups.

I’m absolutely in awe of the roll out of the vaccine. I don’t think many people thought those kind of numbers were possible. Immense.

Just now, Genie said:

I’m absolutely in awe of the roll out of the vaccine. I don’t think many people thought those kind of numbers were possible. Immense.

Neither did I, that combined with the emerging news of the impact of vaccination really gives hope we are getting out of this.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Just think when new vaccines come on stream also.  There are 2 more arriving in Spring/summer.  You would imagine that SOMEWHERE is having shortages now with 600,000 being done. 

I guess a word of caution is that the start of the week had much smaller numbers presumably because of snow delays so to get to such a big number today they may have been using buffer stocks built up from then.  It may not be possible to repeat these kinds of numbers with normal supply.  But let's hope they can. 

We could be like China 2. Parties, festivals, concerts whilst the rest of the world looks on jealously. 

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Neither did I, that combined with the emerging news of the impact of vaccination really gives hope we are getting out of this.

Is that what Blair has been saying or have you heard something else? 

Some good early data from Isreal

The state’s 24/7 campaign has meant many vulnerable populations, including about 70% of over-60s, have already received the prescribed two doses of the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine. The country is injecting up to 200,000 people a day, and last week made the jab available to anyone over 35. Secondary school students aged 16 to 18 are also included, in the hopes of allowing them to sit exams.

Israel’s health ministry released its first official results last week, showing that only 317 out of 715,425, or 0.04%, of people became infected a week after becoming fully vaccinated against the disease – the time when increased immunity is expected to kick in. Of the vaccinated people who were infected, 16 had to be treated in hospital, or 0.002% of the total.

One domestic healthcare provider, Maccabi Healthcare Services, released an encouraging smaller study on Thursday. It revealed that out of 163,000 Israelis given both shots, only 31 were infected, compared with nearly 6,500 infections among a control group of unvaccinated people.

Link

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I'm happy with this prediction from September. The 100m doses already sitting on a shelf was very wide of the mark but the rest was good.

Just looking at your September prediction there, and then seeing the following story which was published in October:

Maybe it was complete bollocks at the time of course, but quite funny to look back on now.

• Like 1

BBC

Hancock to give an update later?

Tests for South African variant in Surrey

Door-to-door testing for the South African variant of coronavirus is to start in Surrey after cases were found with no known links with travel or previous cases.

So far, cases of the variant in the UK had been traced back to South Africa – but experts say two people in Woking found with the variant have no such known links.

Local council workers will go house-to-house to offer swab tests for 9,500 people in the Goldsworth Park and St Johns areas of Woking, Surrey, from this afternoon - with house checks also planned for nearby Egham later in the week.

Surrey’s Local Resilience Forum urged people in the affected areas to "remain calm" and continue to follow the rules on lockdown and self-isolation.

Edited by trekka

18 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I was reading somewhere that the smaller GP surgeries and pharmacies are only reporting their vaccination numbers weekly, and so the 600k included a weekly catch up of those places.  No idea if this is accurate but sounds plausible. 

Edited by ender4

Just now, ender4 said:

I was reading somewhere that the smaller GP surgeries and pharmacies are only reporting their vaccination numbers weekly, and so the 600k included a weekly catch up of those places.  No idea is this is accurate but sounds plausible. 

It does and would make sense given the much lower numbers at the start of the week which were attributed to snow.

Today's and tomorrow's figures will make for interesting reading then. 

If they are back down to 200-300k again that will be a shame. 

I would be a little disappointed if some are reporting weeks worth because the figures are specifically labeled as those receiving jabs in the last 24 hours. 

Edited by sidcow

36 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Today's and tomorrow's figures will make for interesting reading then. 

If they are back down to 200-300k again that will be a shame. 

I would be a little disappointed if some are reporting weeks worth because the figures are specifically labeled as those receiving jabs in the last 24 hours. 

They wouldn’t lie to us 

:trollface:

Â