Christmas Lunch/Dinner - What do you Cook/Eat?

Sam-AVFC

Apologies in advance for the essay...

After reading this article by Jay Rayner where he talks about what he does (and has historically done) for food on Christmas day I'm quite interested in what you lot have. If anyone has any special tips for dishes or cooking methods it would be great to hear them too!

I tend to do the cooking on Christmas day now as the rest of my family have other stuff to sort out and I've always really enjoyed both cooking and eating. It originally started when I was at uni and I agreed with my dad it was better to take the stress off of him for the day rather than borrowing some of his money just to be able to buy a decent present.

For breakfast it's normally chocolate and an aim to have lunch about 2. This year I'm thinking I might be better off making a decent breakfast and ditching the starter.

I completely disagree with Mr Rayner's view that roast potatoes + 1 veg is acceptable! I'm that person who likes to have way too many vegetable side dishes rather than lots extra meats like a ham.

Mine is normally along the lines of:

• turkey - I generally don't add too much flavour, just butter, a lemon up the backpassage and stuffing. I'll probably do a crown this year as there are only a few of us. I do like goose, but it's way too much of a faff and ends up costing an absolute fortune.
  • stuffing - I normally cut corners here and get a boxed mix and add flavours (onions/mushrooms/herbs...whatever is on hand really). Sometimes have a sausagemeat stuffing, but I can take it or leave it.
  • pigs in blankets - pretty obvious. My feeling is that they are 'fine', but I know others would be upset if they were missed.
  • yorkshire puddings - self explanatory. As big as the oven and cookware will allow.
  • gravy - has to be made (almost completely) from scratch. I like granules as much as the next man, but like to put the effort in for christmas. I'll normally buy a decent turkey stock from the supermarket then cook the turkey on a vegetable trivet.
  • roast potatoes - as many as can possibly fit in the oven while still being able to cook everything else. I don't really get the raving about goosefat to be honest. It is good, but if I'm going to cook them in meat I prefer beef dripping. Due to a few vegetarians I'll normally just cook them in butter and oil. As long as they're crispy I'm happy.
  • sprouts - fried in the pan with butter. Add bacon or chestnuts if the mood takes me.
  • cabbage - my dad is a big sprout lover so in the past I've added the bacon to cabbage instead. Also fried in butter. Sometimes I'll go for a spiced red cabbage instead.Often don't bother with cabbage as others don't care, but I do love it.
  • broccoli - you guessed it, fried in butter. Generally with some garlic.
  • cauliflower cheese - not for everyone, but I love it. I just make a basic roux, add lots of cheese then cheese and breadcrumbs on the top.
  • roasted parsnips/carrots - not that arsed about carrots, but I do like a parsnip as long as it has been cooked properly.
  • (optional) assorted roast veg - normally if, for whatever reason, it hasn't been possible to do lots of different veg side dishes.
  • dessert - I'm normally way to full to eat anything more by this point and am definitely a bigger fan of savoury. Last year I made my first meringue for a pavlova and it was actually much nicer than I expected.

I don't think I've missed anything...and it's probably worrying if I have.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

where are the Yorkshire puddings?

Damn...I did miss something.

Edited to include now. I don't get the fascination with only having them with beef. I'll never make a roast without yorkshire puddings.

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 2

my mom goes to town with the roast potatoes, part boiled, then bashed in the pan to rough them up, then baked in goose fat

she also used to always do boiled potatoes but no one cared for them so this year she's trying duchess potatoes, I approve of this

also ill dabble with cranberry cos its xmas but mustard is my weapon of choice for tackling a big roast

• Like 1

I always thought Yorkshires were just meant to go with beef, at least they are in my family.  I'm generally just in charge of brunch on Boxing Day which is far less stressful.  Last year my sister-in-law bought turkey from a butcher and it was so much tastier.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I always thought Yorkshires were just meant to go with beef, at least they are in my family.  

yep, growing up it was Yorkshires / mustard / horseradish with beef, stuffing with chicken, apple sauce with port, mint with lamb

now its a free for all, stuffing and Yorkshires with every roast I do

think the only one I stick to is mint on lamb

and I use stuffing packets to, ive done thanksgiving meals a few times ( a lot of fun - and sugar) and made some elaborate stuffing recipes and found they're not worth the trouble

Edited by villa4europe

I don't really like cranberry, but that reminds me that I missed breadsauce too.

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I always thought Yorkshires were just meant to go with beef, at least they are in my family.

Loads of people agree with you, but I've never understood why that's a thing.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

think the only one I stick to is mint on lamb

So do I, but I love mint sauce with roast potatoes too.

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

*Checks calendar*

*confirms still November*

*shakes fist in the air*

I'm moving jobs so have been trying to work out my Christmas holiday situation this morning and then saw that which got me thinking about what I'd like to make.

There's a chance I have to stay in London on my own this year so I'm hoping that post isn't the closest I get to Christmas lunch!

Edited by Sam-AVFC

1 minute ago, Ingram85 said:

Was just typing the exact same thing. If he gets a decent quality xmas pud or xmas cake then I'll marry him.

I really don't like Christmas pudding as I'm not a fan of boozy desserts. My cousin normally makes a Christmas cake to give to us each year though. Bad news is he now lives in Vermont!

55 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Was just typing the exact same thing. If he gets a decent quality xmas pud or xmas cake then I'll marry him.

pud is shite, cake I can stomach but its stollen all the way for me

pudding this year will be a black forest trifle

See the source image

• Like 1

Â