Christmas Lunch/Dinner - What do you Cook/Eat?

Sam-AVFC

16 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I'm a big fan of haggis since working for a Scottish guy who used to hold a fantastic Burns Night event every year.

Me too, going big on the haggis for Xmas breakfast this year

Good quality butchers haggis, never done it before

10 hours ago, Xela said:

Well, if you are offering mate? I mean, I usually like to be taken out for a drink first, maybe go to the cinema , but it is Christmas after all! 

Really ? I've heard you're anybody's for 2 halves of lager and a bag o crispy bits, having a quick fumble outside George's best chippy ;)

• Like 1

Decided to take up my Mom and Sisters offer of Christmas day buffet at theirs.

This way we don't get lumbered with the Mother in law all on our own. Then we get a nice dinner on our own Boxing day. That'll be a first.

Unless we get surprise Swedish drunks visiting... ;)

• Like 1

In the past few years, we've ditched the turkey, and gone with a rib of beef. Local butchers is tremendous, and always gives us a tremendous cut of meat. There's only 3 of us usually (unless I've got a lass on the go, but try to avoid that this time of year, so I don't have to buy her any presents 😄), as the numbers have dwindled over the last few years. We used to get a meat hamper, with a turkey, a joint of pork, with sausage, bacon, sausage meat, and a massive pork pie, but it would just go to waste now. 

8 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

a rib of beef. Local butchers is tremendous, and always gives us a tremendous cut of meat.

Always worth supporting your local butcher.  Don't forget to ask for bones whenever you shop there, to make stock for the freezer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, peterms said:

Always worth supporting your local butcher.  Don't forget to ask for bones whenever you shop there, to make stock for the freezer.

Yeah it normally comes, and gets cooked on the bone. I leave that bit up to our Mom though! 

Edited by dAVe80

10 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Yeah it normally comes, and gets cooked on the bone. I leave that bit up to our Mom though! 

But also ask for some other bones, not just use what comes with your purchase.  Beef bones are the most useful.  Beef stock, frozen in ice cube bags, is great to have on hand.  Drop some cubes into bolognaise sauce.  Soften some onions and garlic, add seasoning and a touch of vinegar, a bit of wine and some stock cubes,  a good base for a sauce that you can tweak in many directions.  Adds another level to your cooking. Beef stock in any sauce for steak is great.  And soup, of course.

Pork bones are good for stock for Chinese food.

Chicken is easy to come by, and I find I don't use as much lamb stock as I can make with the lamb I buy.  Mainly good for lamb tagines, but would work well with shepherd's pie, which isn't something I ever make, for no particular reason.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, peterms said:

But also ask for some other bones, not just use what comes with your purchase.  Beef bones are the most useful.  Beef stock, frozen in ice cube bags, is great to have on hand.  Drop some cubes into bolognaise sauce.  Soften some onions and garlic, add seasoning and a touch of vinegar, a bit of wine and some stock cubes,  a good base for a sauce that you can tweak in many directions.  Adds another level to your cooking. Beef stock in any sauce for steak is great.  And soup, of course.

Pork bones are good for stock for Chinese food.

Chicken is easy to come by, and I find I don't use as much lamb stock as I can make with the lamb I buy.  Mainly good for lamb tagines, but would work well with shepherd's pie, which isn't something I ever make, for no particular reason.

spacer.png

;)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

spacer.png

;)

:)

I coexist happily with vegans.  They don't criticise me, I make vegan food for them (and me), it's all good.  I don't know any of the aggressive,  preachy ones, though.  As far as I know.

I will be doing the Green Party xmas buffet for the local councillors, who invite the other parties to come along for a drink.  It will all be vegan or veggie.  I shall include lentils,  because the other parties will expect that we will have lentils, as we are Greens, and for no other reason.

I may well have a kebab after.  Please don't judge ne.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, peterms said:

:)

I coexist happily with vegans.  They don't criticise me, I make vegan food for them (and me), it's all good.  I don't know any of the aggressive,  preachy ones, though.  As far as I know.

I will be doing the Green Party xmas buffet for the local councillors, who invite the other parties to come along for a drink.  It will all be vegan or veggie.  I shall include lentils,  because the other parties will expect that we will have lentils, as we are Greens, and for no other reason.

I may well have a kebab after.  Please don't judge ne.

My oldest son used to eat more meat in a week than I did in 6 months.

Then he met his girlfriend...a vegan.

He is now a vegan too, quelle surpreeeeze.

They started giving it large on Facebook so I had to have a word or three.

Seems to have quietened him down a bit now ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Walter Smith Butchers are doing a Xmas meat hamper - feeds 6, for £60 

Turkey Breast Joint 

Pork Sirloin 

Gammon Joint 

1 l/b bacon 

1 l/b Sausage 

12 pig is in blankets 

Stuffing 

Large award winning Pork pie 

That seems pretty well priced to me and their stuff is the dog’s danglies 👍

26 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Walter Smith Butchers are doing a Xmas meat hamper - feeds 6, for £60 

Turkey Breast Joint 

Pork Sirloin 

Gammon Joint 

1 l/b bacon 

1 l/b Sausage 

12 pig is in blankets 

Stuffing 

Large award winning Pork pie 

That seems pretty well priced to me and their stuff is the dog’s danglies 👍

...erm call me Mr Picky....but..erm I'll pass !

• Haha 2

josh is a writer for I, he did a pretty good article on the festive food craze and how daft its all getting a few weeks back, I now give you the xmas pizza...pigs in blankets, stuffing, sprouts, a Yorkshire in the middle with gravy to dip it in...he's right about the bbq base though, that's a shit idea

• 3 weeks later...

Sister in law is doing the dinner for about 16 of us, I've been asked just to do some snacks for people while they have a drink before dinner.

So, canapés.  No charge, on the basis that people canna pay.  (Oh, is that my coat?  Thank you).

Tomato bruschetta with basil
Butterbean puree and muharamma on oatcakes
Manchego y membrillo
Sweet potato puree with lime and coriander salsa on rice crackers
Spicy peppers stuffed with tabbouleh
Masala potato wedges with tamarind sauce
Flatbread with za'ataar, labneh with mint and sumac

And a  vegan main for a couple of people, aubergine with crushed chick peas and spicy tomato sauce.

Almost all done the day before apart from grilling the flatbread and assembling everything for serving, then feet up for me.

Cheers.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, peterms said:

Sister in law is doing the dinner for about 16 of us, I've been asked just to do some snacks for people while they have a drink before dinner.

So, canapés.  No charge, on the basis that people canna pay.  (Oh, is that my coat?  Thank you).

Tomato bruschetta with basil
Butterbean puree and muharamma on oatcakes
Manchego y membrillo
Sweet potato puree with lime and coriander salsa on rice crackers
Spicy peppers stuffed with tabbouleh
Masala potato wedges with tamarind sauce
Flatbread with za'ataar, labneh with mint and sumac

And a  vegan main for a couple of people, aubergine with crushed chick peas and spicy tomato sauce.

Almost all done the day before apart from grilling the flatbread and assembling everything for serving, then feet up for me.

Cheers.

Mate, I love the ideas, but please make it easier on yourself! 

69333763-C6CE-4F21-86A6-C32377371E87.thumb.jpeg.4dcd0bf21836ff1e1898bc8dc5afba5a.jpeg

.........also cocktail sausages on sticks, vol au vents, tube of pringles and some Black Country Stollen (just cut up Black Pudding)! You can thank me after the event!! :flag:

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Mate, I love the ideas, but please make it easier on yourself! 

69333763-C6CE-4F21-86A6-C32377371E87.thumb.jpeg.4dcd0bf21836ff1e1898bc8dc5afba5a.jpeg

.........also cocktail sausages on sticks, vol au vents, tube of pringles and some Black Country Stollen (just cut up Black Pudding)! You can thank me after the event!! :flag:

Sausages and black pudding in a couple of days.  Have bought some chorizo and morcilla to use with stale bread for Migas, which I described a while back and a couple of people liked.

• Like 1

Â