Christmas Lunch/Dinner - What do you Cook/Eat?

Sam-AVFC

Was required to do the late breakfast for everyone who stayed over until boxing day.

Bacon, black pudding, haggis, fried mushrooms, grilled tomatoes, fried eggs, for 9, all seved together.  Someone else saw to the beans, toast and coffee.  Cooked in stages and kept warm until it could be served - 5 or 6 runs at the small grill to do enough bacon etc, two lots of a big frying pan full of eggs...one broken egg for the dog, no wastage,  all scoffed.  But they ate all the black pudding before I could serve myself.  Bastards.  Should have done sausages as a diversion, but it wasn't my house or my supplies.  Oh well.

1 hour ago, peterms said:

Was required to do the late breakfast for everyone who stayed over until boxing day.

Bacon, black pudding, haggis, fried mushrooms, grilled tomatoes, fried eggs, for 9, all seved together.  Someone else saw to the beans, toast and coffee.  Cooked in stages and kept warm until it could be served - 5 or 6 runs at the small grill to do enough bacon etc, two lots of a big frying pan full of eggs...one broken egg for the dog, no wastage,  all scoffed.  But they ate all the black pudding before I could serve myself.  Bastards.  Should have done sausages as a diversion, but it wasn't my house or my supplies.  Oh well.

spacer.png

I forgot to get the haggis 🤦‍♂️

Did make some decent coronation turkey, shred the turkey, mayo (fair bit) curry powder, diced spring onion, little bit of yoghurt, great stuff

Also I'm back in Germany, told the in laws about pigs in blankets and how much I like them so they went and got me the german equivalent... They lose a point cos they use frankfurters but they only go and put cheese in the middle of the sausage! Delicious 

Got a ham half price, which seemed about right compared to the full price.  Good for lots of things.  Seems like an end-of-christmas thing.

First, boiled in water.  Place in big pan in cold water, bring to the boil, as soon as it's boiling discard all the water and replace with fresh cold water (to get rid of the excess salt from the curing).  Bring to the boil again, add an onion, carrot, celery, couple of bay leaves, simmer gently for an hour or two, skimming and removing any scum.

Remove the ham and leave to cool, keep the stock for soup, maybe lentil, or pea and ham.  It makes great soup.

I then baked it later, with a glaze made with brown sugar, date syrup, red wine vinegar, and some freshly ground spices: star anise, cumin, coriander, cardamom, cloves, chili.  No salt.  Put some glaze on, basted every few minutes with a little more - the aim was to have a hint at the edges of the ham, not be drenched in it.  Baked for about an hour in a medium oven, about 170. 

Made a Cumberland sauce: ginger (chopped fresh, or powdered), mustard powder, lemon and orange juice and their rinds in julienne strips, redcurrant jelly, port, all simmered until delicious.

Served with homemade chips, and cabbage sauteed in olive oil and a little lemon juice.

Lots left over, could be sandwiches, croquettes, served with egg and chips, whatever.

• Like 2

Â