Christmas Lunch/Dinner - What do you Cook/Eat?

Sam-AVFC

5 minutes ago, peterms said:

😢

Just whisky to drink.  I'm not sure the whisky sauce thing is traditional - I think it may be a marketing thing that hotels introduced.

But I'm not keen on the haggis, neeps, tatties thing - I find it a bit bland and boring.  It's popular, though.

I'm with you on the neeps and tatties. The stuff I had anyway. The haggis really surprised me though...not sure why as there's very little I don't eat and am not squemish about offal etc.

With the bland veg I wondered if that was on purpose because of the strong flavours from the haggis and whisky sauce like boiled rice with a curry. Now I know that it's not traditional I imagine it may have been because the average age of attendees was about 70.

7 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I'm with you on the neeps and tatties. The stuff I had anyway. The haggis really surprised me though...not sure why as there's very little I don't eat and am not squemish about offal etc.

With the bland veg I wondered if that was on purpose because of the strong flavours from the haggis and whisky sauce like boiled rice with a curry. Now I know that it's not traditional I imagine it may have been because the average age of attendees was about 70.

I think the neeps and tatties are there as veg which would be easily available and cheap in a climate not greatly suited to a wide variety of produce, and as haggis was very much cheap peasant food, they went together very practically.  Haggis can be dry, so I can see why people would have a sauce with it - though HP works well.

• Like 1

Christmas dinner at my folks is usually:

Starter: Prawn cocktail and avocado  (yes it’s an 80s dish but it’s easy and quick to make when everything else is going on)

Main: 

Roast Turkey 

Another roast (normally pork) 

Bacon (which was wrapped round the turkey whilst cooking) 

Pigs in blankets 

Sausage Meat 

Stuffing balls

Goose fat roasted potatoes 

Honey roasted Carrots

Honey roasted Parsnips 

Peas

Green beans

Sprouts (eurgh)

Gravy

Cranberry Sauce 

Afters: (throughout the evening)

Christmas Pudding 

Cheese and Biscuits 

Chocolate and Cherry Roulade

Trifle

Then they’ll be the box of celebrations and other such chocolate around. 

Throw in wine champagne and beer and I’m done 

• Like 2

If I was cooking:

Roast beef or lamb

Yorkshires (Born and bred there and they go with everything)

Homemade gravy

Sausagemeat stuffing patties

Pigs in blankets

Roast potatoes

Roast parsnips

Carrots

Cheesy leeks (possibly with cauli or broccoli in there too)

Greens  - green beans; peas at a push

Sprouts optional

Horseradish and mustard if it’s beef, mint sauce for lamb

• Like 1

Truth be told, I will be at my parents for Christmas 

Usually its Turkey and Beef with all the trimmings and some sort of cake for pud... none of us like Christmas pudding so its off the menu. I think last year it was sticky toffee pudding.

My Mrs roasts the Turkey over a load of white wine and stock in the bottom of a roasting tin. 

It steams it from underneath, but still roasts nicely on the outside, so you get a really nice succulent turkey and it 1/2’s the cooking time. Splendid. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

none of us like Christmas pudding so its off the menu. I think last year it was sticky toffee pudding.

The missus likes xmas pud, me and the daughter not so much but I eat it and the daughter doesn't, usually on Boxing Day because I don't know why and form of dessert is a xmas day thing. We're usually too stuffed to ever be bothered!

Usually I'll eat some cheese & biscuits not long before I go to bed

Cooking and eating with the in-laws again.  

Baked Camembert sharer with dipping bread or Pate and chutney to start.

Turkey with all the trimmings, gammon basted in marmalade.  My two favourite items on the plate though are roasted potatoes in nut oil and sausage meat wrapped in bacon.   Thick gravy a must for me.

Usual Christmas Pudding available, but I have sticky toffee pudding with the kids and lashings of custard.  

Hopefully a tub of Heroes or Celebrations will be on offer later on whilst watching The Great Escape or an Indiana Jones film.....................................it’s the rules! 

• Like 1

What we often do is plan and prepare a non-traditional meal for christmas, and pop down the shops about 4.30 on christmas eve.  Geese and turkeys that were priced at £50 or more will be going for a lot less.

Last year we got a goose for something like a tenner, can't recall exactly.  Rendering the fat gave 3 or 4 jars which will last a year and would cost more than the goose if you bought it in tins, carcasse for stock and soup, one meal from the breasts and another from the legs.  And a risotto if you pick the carcasse after you've made stock.

Pretty good value, just from shifting your purchase to a different point in time.

Can't guarantee there will be bargains though,  it all depends what everyone else has done in relation to what the buyers predicted they would do.  But I don't think I would ever again pay the asking price for a christmas bird, that's a premium price for eating it at one specific point in the calendar, which just seems mad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

......and a w*** ?

Well, if you are offering mate? I mean, I usually like to be taken out for a drink first, maybe go to the cinema , but it is Christmas after all! 

• Haha 4

this is going to be the first christmas day at our house, just the two of us,no annual trip to the parents this time. Which should be nice. Turkey crown, roast potatoes, parsnips, sprouts, carrots, peas, onion gravy, bread sauce. pigs in blankets too actually. Nothing abnormal, although yorkshire puds can **** off, it's just glorified packaged air.

glass of fizz in the morning - although f its just the two of us, that's going to be more than one each, but otherwise, going to be red wine for booze during the day. I have bought a wine advent calendar, so we might save up some of those doors for the big day. 

• Like 1

Â