Christmas Lunch/Dinner - What do you Cook/Eat?

Sam-AVFC

Yorkshire puddings? With turkey??? No, no, NO!!!  They are for roast beef and only roast beef. 

Starter (e.g. smoked mackerel pate on toast). Sauvignon blanc. 

Turkey, roast potatoes, stuffing, pigs in blankets, sprouts (shut up, they are essential) plus one other veg (choose from parsnips, sweet potato, red cabbage), cranberry sauce, bread sauce, gravy. Chateauneuf du Pape. 

Christmas pudding, brandy butter, double cream. Sauternes. 

Cognac. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yorkshire puddings? With turkey??? No, no, NO!!!  They are for roast beef and only roast beef.

But why though? I get it if they had a particular flavour and it wasn't just a texture/gravy sponge.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

says who?!

its a brave new world

im not having the Yorkshire pudding fry up that's just daft but the giant Yorkshire and curry combo is decent

Edited by villa4europe

A few years back my wife started cooking the turkey on Christmas Eve, last year we sat down to semi raw turkey and realised late that the oven was on the way out. We persisted with the oven until literally today when a new one has just been fitted.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

I'm making a big roast this year, with a side of roast potatoes, veg (Inc parsnip, carrots, sprouts ) - chilli sprouts), sweet potato sticks, braised cabbage, and some roasted cauliflower.

Piers Morgan has an invite.

Good luck with that :

s-l300.jpg

Starter -

Christmas Burek (minced Turkey, stuffing and red currant jelly in filo pastry)

Main - 
Porchetta (stuffed pork belly and loin)

mashed and roasted potatoes

sprouts with lardons and maple syrup

cabbage and carrots

gravy

pudding -

homemade carrot cake ice cream

• Like 1

@KenjiOgiwara Rutabaga is the American word.

We call it a swede*, which I also found a bit odd. Makes a lot more sense to me now I know it's a Scandinavian vegetable!

In true British fashion spicing it up would be a bit exciting so the most common way you find it over here is mashed with carrots.

*neep in Scotland, although no idea if many people actually use the word.

13 minutes ago, peterms said:

Yes, it's the standard term.  Haggis, neeps and tatties for Burns Supper.  With whisky.

I'm a bit disappointed you'd bring up tatties after pushing the election thread down a smutty route Yesterday :P

I'm a big fan of haggis since working for a Scottish guy who used to hold a fantastic Burns Night event every year.

Do you just do whisky or whisky sauce? I've had it with whisky sauce before and really didn't like it.

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Whilst you are correct in theory regards to a main  ..... Yorkshire puddings go great with treacle and ice cream 

• Confused 1

We will be about 20 for dinner, including a vegan, one or two vegetarians, some keen meat-eaters, and someone who can't eat dairy.  The standard roast dinner doesn't suit that too well, and also the number means that we would struggle for oven space, and the timings for things competing for oven space would be an issue, and the logistics of getting everyone served are difficult.  So we often do something more like a mezze spread.  More can be done in advance so it takes the pressure off, it's easy to accommodate all the preferences, there's less problem finding oven space and gas rings all at the same time, and people can pick at what they want when they want, which makes it all a bit more relaxed and informal.  It also means that people can prep something at home and bring it to the gathering, which again makes things easier for whoever is hosting.

This year we'll be at the sister-in-law's, so she will do something and I and others will bring things.  I'll probably make some breads like pita, foccaccia and flatbread with za'ataar, some dips and fresh and cooked salads, and get a jamon to carve, so all that is a pretty substantial start.  After that, maybe some things like piri piri chicken or chicken wings in garlic and tahini, though we've also had duck with pomengranate sauce, roast pork belly with fennel seeds, turkey breast in coriander and white wine - not all at the one do.  Also things like stuffed squid, and last year I did fish fingers, which was an Ottolenghi treatment involving lime, chili, coconut and breadcrumbs.  Also things like patatas bravas or spicy roast potatoes or sweet potato gratin, some kind of rice dish, and more salads.  So the vegan/veggie/no dairy people have a good selection, and the meat eaters are also ok.  We just sit round a very big table for a very long time, and get away from the idea of everyone having the same thing to eat at the same moment.  Works for us.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I'm a bit disappointed you'd bring up tatties after pushing the election thread down a smutty route Yesterday :P

😢

11 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I'm a big fan of haggis since working for a Scottish guy who used to hold a fantastic Burns Night event every year.

Do you just do whisky or whisky sauce? I've had it with whisky sauce before and really didn't like it.

Just whisky to drink.  I'm not sure the whisky sauce thing is traditional - I think it may be a marketing thing that hotels introduced.

But I'm not keen on the haggis, neeps, tatties thing - I find it a bit bland and boring.  It's popular, though.

Â