The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

The guy in the background in the ill fitting suit is Mark Drakeford, leader of labour in Wales, so I’d imagine the conversation went something like:

Corbyn: hello sir, what can I get you?

Drakeford: I’d like a ...

Corbyn:  yeah yeah yeah, we’ll tell you what you **** well want, we’re based in London you regional clearing in the woods, and you’ll say thank you very very much

Drakeford: thank you very very much

9 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

We all knew already but from the horse's mouth...

There needs to be caution here.

The point is that there could be some sort of FTA concluded by the end of next year - it is not impossible. It is unlikely that doing so would be optimal.

54 minutes ago, snowychap said:

There needs to be caution here.

The point is that there could be some sort of FTA concluded by the end of next year - it is not impossible. It is unlikely that doing so would be optimal.

Quite, but it will depend on how much the Tories would want to vary the current trade deal (i.e. single market). If they were to agree to that, then deal could be agreed tomorrow, but we know the Tories don’t want that. The more they want to change, the more negotiating there will be. 
To be honest as well, I am not entirely sure what the long term trade deal will look like under the Tory deal, although I’m not convinced they know either...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Quite, but it will depend on how much the Tories would want to vary the current trade deal (i.e. single market). If they were to agree to that, then deal could be agreed tomorrow, but we know the Tories don’t want that. The more they want to change, the more negotiating there will be. 
To be honest as well, I am not entirely sure what the long term trade deal will look like under the Tory deal, although I’m not convinced they know either...

I liked the post as it seemed to acknowledge the caution but I'm not quite sure about the content of your post.

Just now, snowychap said:

I liked the post as it seemed to acknowledge the caution but I'm not quite sure about the content of your post.

Sorry was typing in a bit of haste. 

I definitely agree with your caution, but (IMO) ultimately if any FTA accorded with EU rules in the majority or entirely, then it will be easy to agree the deal, this is in essence what Labour want to do anyway. 

On the flip side though, the more they want to not comply with EU Rules, the more complicated a free trade deal will become and the likelihood that it will not be done by December 2020.

What we do know is that Tories don’t want to comply with most EU Rules so are probably going to be a longer timescale to agree a FTA; although I don’t really know what the Tories are actually suggesting as they are still focused on “getting brexit done”. So actually we really have no idea what the Tories actually want to do, so it is difficult to predict!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

I definitely agree with your caution, but (IMO) ultimately if any FTA accorded with EU rules in the majority or entirely, then it will be easy to agree the deal

Yep, I think this is the point that Sam is making.

If you intend to go along the level playing field line then it may well be possible to do an FTA, i.e it's not impossible.

Are we going down that route? Are we bollocks...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We should be talking a lot more about the 'hostile environment' at this election:

We should. We won't even get the chance to talk about it in the ensuing shitshow.

The 'hostile environment' is very much a blueprint.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

We should. We won't even get the chance to talk about it in the ensuing shitshow.

The 'hostile environment' is very much a blueprint.

In terms of impact on the NHS, with Labour's and the Tory plans for immigration are negative, say the independent IFS. This isn't a comment on your post, just a nod towards yes Tories bad", but Labour's position is also bad for the NHS and economy. The choice for voters is not actually (IMO) between evil tories and virtuous Labour, it's between very harmful tories and also pretty harmful Labour, going by what they say in their manifestos. It's a truly awful choice and set of parties.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blandy said:

In terms of impact on the NHS, with Labour's and the Tory plans for immigration are negative, say the independent IFS. This isn't a comment on your post, just a nod towards yes Tories bad", but Labour's position is also bad for the NHS and economy. The choice for voters is not actually (IMO) between evil tories and virtuous Labour, it's between very harmful tories and also pretty harmful Labour, going by what they say in their manifestos. It's a truly awful choice and set of parties.

I have no idea why you've chosen to reply to my post. Your garbled reply has sod all to do with what I was talking about.

Edited by snowychap

7 hours ago, snowychap said:

I have no idea why you've chosen to reply to my post. Your garbled reply has sod all to do with what I was talking about.

You may have missed

"This isn't a comment on your post" snowy. Your mention of "hostile environment just reminded me of the IFS assessment I read. Sleep well.

• Like 1

Snake oil salesman Farage has registered a new party name for after the election.

t will campaign for changes to the voting system and the abolition of the House of Lords, he told Sky News.

Mr Farage, who has already registered the new party name, said it would "change politics for good".

Gullible people tap here.

I wonder how many people will think, Farage’s UKIP look good, I’ll vote for them. Ooh no, actually Farage’s Brexit Party look good I’ll vote for them. Ooh no, actually I’ve always had a lot of faith in Nigel, I’ll vote for his new party.

Advertising your new party before the actual election your old party is in, that would be a major slap in the moosh to any of your supporters that weren’t thick as shit, wouldn’t it?

Changes to the voting system and reform of the HoLs (though not necessarily full abolition) are pretty good ideas IMO.

Also, Farage is a snake oil salesman but you’d have to say he has also been rather effective in setting the direction of the UK lately.

Maybe some good will come from it if he turns his attention to this. 

Full abolition of the House of Lords is a great idea, as I have asserted on here before, though it's very unpopular every time I do so. Weird to find myself agreeing with Farage on the topic, though I find it hard to believe he's sincere about it.