The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

17 minutes ago, Awol said:

Yes, the establishment were vehemently pro-Leave, weren't they?  Also, I thought we'd all agreed about 10 years ago that the rolling-eyes thing was a bit sh*t? 

If something is in opposition of Boris Johnson then by default it is anti-establishment.

Boris Johnson is the establishment embodied, if you think by voting/wanting Brexit you're going against the establishment then I'd suggest you're barking up the wrong tree entirely.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It isn't enough to have barely swung a referendum on lies, it has to be revolutionary, heroic, sticking it to the man. They'll put a bronze statue of Farage's gurning pug face on the spare plinth in Trafalgar Square. True Englishmen can salute it, tears in their eyes, for years to come, the Union Jack warming their heart.

I feel your pain, man. 

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

If something is in opposition of Boris Johnson then by default it is anti-establishment.

Boris Johnson is the establishment embodied, if you think by voting/wanting Brexit you're going against the establishment then I'd suggest you're barking up the wrong tree entirely.

Boris Johnson isn't a leaver.

He's a career opportunist. He supported the side that was most likely to benefit Boris. It worked.

Doesn't support mine, or your point, but it is what it is.

• Like 3

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

He's a career opportunist. He supported the side that was most likely to benefit Boris. It worked.

Doesn't support mine, or your point, but it is what it is.

I just find it laughable that apparently siding with people like Farage, Johnson and Banks etc is somehow a poke in the eye for the establishment.

If anyone is anti-establishment it's Corbyn.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, snowychap said:

The point that he is making, I think, is that their analysis should be taken alongside the analysis of others and in the context that they don't do 'macro' and that others do, &c.

An important point he is making, perhaps implicitly rather than spelling it out, is that their analysis should be taken alongside that of others but routinely isn't; and that the conclusions the media report are therefore lacking in an important dimension, but media audiences won't necessariy appreciate this.

• Like 1

Just now, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Too be fair to them the same poll by the same people predicted the 2017 outcome down to individual seats.

And got the 2015 spectacularly wrong, No polling company was close in both elections. They never get it right twice.

There's a league table somewhere, I think it was survation that got closest in 2015 and were wildly out in 2017.

18 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Wtf does this shite even mean?

14 days until the election fought on multiple issues, other than Brexit.

Then January 31st as the next cutoff, which still doesn't get Brexit done.

Him and his party are dishonest dickheads.

I may be wrong but technically, doesn't the 'exit' bit of 'Brexit' actually happen then if the Tories win?  It's then Bregotiationoftradedeals after that.  

2 minutes ago, peterms said:

An important point he is making, perhaps implicitly rather than spelling it out, is that their analysis should be taken alongside that of others but routinely isn't; and that the conclusions the media report are therefore lacking in an important dimension, but media audiences won't necessariy appreciate this.

I accept that and agree - both that he is making that point and that the point has merit.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

Ah one of these days we'll learn to actually stop talking about nebulous bollocks like "The Establishment"

Fair enough. If we're talking about the small group of people who control or exert strong influence over the levers of power in UK, how should we describe them as a group?

PS. You can't have, 'The Tories' :) 

Edited by Awol

18 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Too be fair to them the same poll by the same people predicted the 2017 outcome down to individual seats.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'down to individual seats', but if you mean they called nearly every seat correctly, that isn't the case; they actually missed quite a lot of seats, they just happened to miss roughly even numbers each way so their topline seat number predictions was close to the eventual result. 

23 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

We've done this before, but this is a bizarre thing to claim. You are essentially arguing that we shouldn't consider the man who led the leave campaign, and then almost certainly leads the country to leave the actual EU, can't be called a leaver because you think in his heart of hearts he's not a true believer. It's fatuous. 

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We've done this before, but this is a bizarre thing to claim. You are essentially arguing that we shouldn't consider the man who led the leave campaign, and then almost certainly leads the country to leave the actual EU, can't be called a leaver because you think in his heart of hearts he's not a true believer. It's fatuous. 

Pretty much up to the referendum, he was on record saying he was a believer in being in the EU.

Why did he change his mind a few months before the referendum?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think Johnson reached his decision on the merits of the argument, but out of its utility to his career. That seems like a pretty fair analysis, but as you say if he does win and take us out of the EU then that makes him a Leaver by definition.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's absolutely the case.

Leave or Remain, doesn't matter to him. He is Pro-Boris.

Even still, he was vocally pro-EU until it became advantageous for him not to be.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2