Do you read?

Luke_W

On 14/01/2021 at 23:42, rjw63 said:

I don't like Mike Love much, so I waited til his book "Good Vibrations, My Life As  Beach Boy" was two quid.

It's actually a decent read considering he is all about himself. It explained a lot of stuff we as fans knew about in more detail. 

What I was pleased about is that it confirmed his brothers Steve and Stan as a pair of words removed, and Rocky Pamplin as the scab on those words removed.

Was it Steve and Stan who (allegedly) done Dennis in?

10 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Was it Steve and Stan who (allegedly) done Dennis in?

No it was Stan and Rushton "Rocky" Pamplin. Steve was the one who creamed thousands out of the bands bank accounts when he was manager.

On 19/01/2021 at 17:22, sidcow said:

I'm currently reading The Institute by Stephen King.  It's a page turner alright. 

King could write a whole book about someone going to the store to get ingredients for spaghetti and make it a page turner.

Most creative author ever.

2 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

King could write a whole book about someone going to the store to get ingredients for spaghetti and make it a page turner.

Most creative author ever.

Ermm. 

Isn't that essentially this? 

Mist2007.jpg

Nightwood by Djuna Barnes:

‘I was in the war once myself,’ the doctor went on, ‘in a little town where the bombs began tear­ing the heart out of you, so that you began to think of all the majesty in the world that you would not be able to think of in a minute, if the noise came down and struck in the right place. I was scramb­ling for the cellar—and in it was an  old Breton woman and a cow she had dragged with her, and behind that someone from  Dublin, saying “Glory be to God!” in a whisper at the far end of the ani­mal.  Thanks be to my Maker I had her head on, and the poor beast trembling on her four legs so I knew all at once that the tragedy of the beast can be two legs more  awful than a man’s. She was softly dropping her dung at the far end where the thin Celtic voice kept coming up saying, “Glory be to Jesus!” and I said to myself, “Can’t the morning come now, so I can see what my face is mixed up with?”  At that a flash of lightning went by and I saw the cow turning her head straight back so her horns made two moons against her shoulders, the tears soused all over her great black eyes. I began talking to her, cursing myself and the mick,  and the old  woman looking  as if she were looking down her life,  sighting it the way a man looks down the barrel of a gun for an aim. I put my hand on the poor bitch of a cow and her hide was running  water under my hand, like water tumbling down from Lahore, jerking against my hand as if she wanted to go, standing still in one spot; and I thought, there are directions and speeds that no one has calculated, for believe it or not that cow had gone somewhere very fast that we didn’t know of, and yet was still standing there.’

Quite a difficult read, and I didn't understand half it, but because of the inventive style of the writing I still enjoyed it.

Edited by useless

• 1 month later...
On 17/01/2016 at 18:50, useless said:

I've only read two Dickens novels. Great Expectations which I didn't really enjoy too much, but it wasn't so bad that I refused to finish. And Bleak House which is one the best books I've ever read.

I hadn't read Great Expectations, I'd got it mixed up with David Copperfield. Reading Great Expectations now.

On 21/01/2021 at 09:47, jacketspuds said:

Currently working my way through the Jack West books by Mathhew Reilly. Bit of an action packed Indiana Jones series.

The fella with metal arm and a hawk

Just finished the Prodigal son the fifth nowhere man novel. Takes a little while to get going due to the backstory but very good then on. Cracking series of books if you’ve never come across them, author Gregg Hurwitz

47 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

That's him. Really fast paced and easy to get through in no time.

I found it quite touching how the Jew and the Arab became close friends. I think I’m one behind the series at the moment as a new one came out last year I think. 

Based on that I would give the series I mentioned above a go as you are more than likely going to like that as well

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

Â