Do you read?

Luke_W

Just started

Smythe-TheExplorer_thumb%25255B1%25255D.

Although I like Sci-Fi, I've never really read a lot of it. This piqued my interest, though, deals with SF themes that appeal to me; space, spaceships, crew on spaceship, exploration, and then some general themes like isolation, mystery, and degradation of ones mental health in such a situation. The central driving force behind the story is being the human/s travelling furthest in to space - very early on in the book, like the first couple of chapters/20 pages or so, the crew is killed off, apart from our narrator, whom has no technical skills at all. Yet he goes on, deeper in to space, alone, cos it's what they were out there to do. I found the cover to be quite an arresting image as well, very nice. It's the guys second published novel (published Jan '13), and although it shows, as it's not particularly well written, I'm enjoying it so far.

Edited by hogso

Just started this, quite enjoying it to be honest

been a whilst since I read a shits and giggles type book rather than the usual **** up shit that I normally read that is getting a bit tedious now

any way this is ridiculous but quite entertaining at the same time

51iE0asmUSL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

When scientists with warped imaginations accidentally unleash an experimental bioweapon that transforms Britain's animals into sneezing, bloodthirsty zombies with a penchant for pre-dinner sex with their victims, three misfits become the unlikely hope for salvation.

Abattoir worker Terry Borders' love life is crippled by the stench of death that clings to his skin from his days spent slaughtering cows; teenage vegan Geldof 'Scabby' Peters alternates between scratching furiously at his rash and baiting his overbearing New Age mother; and inept journalist Lesley McBrien struggles forlornly in the shadow of her famous war correspondent father.

As Britain begins a rapid descent into chaos and ministers blame international terrorists, Lesley stumbles upon evidence that the government is behind the outbreak. In her bumbling pursuit of the truth, she crosses paths with Terry and Geldof, and together they set out to escape a quarantined Britain with the evidence and vital data that could unlock a cure for the virus.

Standing in the way are rampaging hordes of animals, a ruthless security agent and an army ready to shoot anybody with a case of the sniffles...

Three losers. Overwhelming odds. A single outcome: the world is screwed.

I really should read The Lost Symbol, what with my affiliations and all.

I've read (and enjoyed most of) all of his books except that one. A bland and derivative book. It's like a bad fusion of the other 2 Langdon stories.

Just finished David Peace's "1974". Brutal in the extreme, clearly a go at being the Yorkshire James Ellroy. 

Somewhat spoiled for me by the overuse of "authentic period references". I was in Leeds in 1974, and don't need to have a brand name, street or chart hit clunkily mentioned in every paragraph. And readers who weren't will gain nothing from it anyway. 

That aside, very good. Will probably read the rest of the Red Riding quartet. 

5185iY38n1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Just going through some of my birthday presents. Excellent and well written although I'm only 40 pages in.

The new Downing was released 3 days ago, so I'll be downloading that on t'kindle when I've finished this...

I also read the latest Kerr 'Man Without Breath' last week aswell. 

Well, I'm onto the third book in my list of Stephen King's  Dark Tower  series.

I've read  The Gunslinger  and The Drawing of the Three which were both absolutely excellent.

Now I'm onto...

thestand.jpg

...which judging by the length of the damn thing will probably take me longer to tread than the first two combined. I'm very much looking forward to it since it is considered by many to be his best book.

There are probably some in here who could do with this :P

Picture-2.png

I've got this.

Pretty interesting stuff.

Perfect toilet book really, as there's no narrative, it's just a collection of short stories and articles.

I've read  The Gunslinger  and The Drawing of the Three which were both absolutely excellent.

Now I'm onto...

thestand.jpg

...which judging by the length of the damn thing will probably take me longer to tread than the first two combined. I'm very much looking forward to it since it is considered by many to be his best book.

I love The Stand, M-O-O-N that spells love.

Now I'm onto...

thestand.jpg

I saw the DVD and did not like it at all.

Â