January Transfers 2019/20

sne

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Alright alright is it too much to ask to actually have a proper striker playing v Watford then?

We've scored 28 goals (9th in the league) and Wesley was rubbish according to many, some even said was like playing with 10 men, so what's the problem?

Edited by Kiwivillan

10 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I'd be open to Glen Murray but only for the rest of the season, he'll be running backwards by next season

They say that about players like Shane Long....but they still run rings around us.

We need to evaluate carefully what we need.

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

We've scored 28 goals and Wesley was rubbish according to many, some even said was like playing with 10 men, so what's the problem?

We were doing fine until start of December but it's dropped right off since then. No goals at either Sheffield United or Watford and just Grealish consolations v Leicester and Southampton. Burnley first half was really only game in last six weeks we've looked a credible premier league attacking force imo. We badly miss a focal point upfront.

That's why I'd like one in for Watford seeing as many forwards score on their debuts for us. Ultimately Watford is our easiest home game left  for three points if they're in great form. If we're not going to beat them we need to be beating Spurs, Man. United, Wolves etc.

31 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Signing might be announced but he still needs a work permit application processed, those take a while. Don't think we'll see him on the pitch until Bournemouth.

Surely after Brighton we'll announce someone who can play v Watford at least? I'd actually sign Glenn Murray for rest of the season now, situation is that desperate and I'd say him not being able to play until after tomorrow's game is perhaps why we haven't pushed that deal quicker.

Its not such a daft Shout..

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wasn’t that about 7 years ago? He’s a had a pretty decent career since including a World Cup final appearance. 

I thought was suspended at Galatasarey for training ground bust up recently but seems he just couldn't be bothered training and left early. Sounds just the character needed to survive relegation. He got relegated with Blackburn no?

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

They say that about players like Shane Long....but they still run rings around us.

Glen Murray will be 37 this year, Shane Long will be 33. I think Long has more upside than Murray imho....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

We were doing fine until start of December but it's dropped right off since then. No goals at either Sheffield United or Watford and just Grealish consolations v Leicester and Southampton. Burnley first half was really only game in last six weeks we've looked a credible premier league attacking force imo. We badly miss a focal point upfront.

That's why I'd like one in for Watford seeing as many forwards score on their debuts for us. Ultimately Watford is our easiest home game left  for three points if they're in great form. If we're not going to beat them we need to be beating Spurs, Man. United, Wolves etc.

Sheffield United are not conceding to many teams carrying on from best defence in Championship and Pearson has turned Watford around like I thought he would because he's a good manager and they have good players

People make out like these teams we should be beating when that's just arrogance

Just now, VillaChris said:

Was we?

I think results were better, but the issues we have were lying under the surface, even then......its been dubious all season for me, despite some great moments along the way.

I think we will go down, unless we can address our shortfalls, its not attempting to be foreboding, but that's just my opinion.

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Glen Murray will be 37 this year, Shane Long will be 33. I think Long has more upside than Murray imho....

Not disputing that, but this is where we are.

irrespective of their age.....some fans would Baulk at either of them......because they are not from Barcelona.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

irrespective of their age.....some fans would Baulk at either of them......because they are not from Barcelona.

I see your point and yes I agree, by some comments on here you'd swear we are vying for Champions League football....

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I see your point and yes I agree, by some comments on here you'd swear we are vying fro Champions League football....

spot on.

The club will not sign Murray for half a season and Murray is looking for longer term deal. People need to engage their brain and not believe every rumour. Long is shit idea and wouldn't save us from relegation by getting in tomorrow rather than trying to get sensible deals across the line.

We need to make a break from the perpetuity of shit signings and build longer term strategies

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

The club will not sign Murray for half a season and Murray is looking for longer term deal. People need to engage their brain and not believe every rumour. Long is shit idea and wouldn't save us from relegation by getting in tomorrow rather than trying to get sensible deals across the line.

We need to make a break from the perpetuity of shit signings and build longer term strategies

No we need to break from players poncing around the pitch trying to look busy and having no intention of physical contact and allowing opposition players to call the tune.

I don't care if they are 18 or 38 as long as they detest that situation as much as me, they have a chance in my team.

If we don't change it, we will sink, mark my words.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

Utter nonsense.

Don’t be mistaken into thinking that the vocal minority of unrealistic fans with no sense of where we are, represent anything more than a vocal minority. Most people are fairly reasonable, and understand our plight.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don’t get what you’re trying to say here. We signed Hogan after he ran rings around us..? That simplistic approach also isn’t a careful evaluation.

I’d probably say that the way that our transfers are currently going IS following a careful evaluation (especially after hearing all the stuff that Purslow/Smith said at the start of the season about age/ character etc of signings). The main issue this year is that we needed to build a whole squad.

The fact of the matter is that no one has a crystal ball. You can’t predict who will or won’t be a successful signing. Experience has failed before, newbies have succeeded before. Both have done the opposite. Age and youth have both succeeded and failed also.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Utter nonsense.

Don’t be mistaken into thinking that the vocal minority of unrealistic fans with no sense of where we are, represent anything more than a vocal minority. Most people are fairly reasonable, and understand our plight.

Nonsense as you may claim.

Then they need to explain the real issues more...instead of barking on about players with talent, but no substance.

Its not about age entirely, its about can they do the job....we haven't got seasons to develop players yet, we need the here and now.

There is a clear ignorance in some quarters of the real issues.....some would still have Carlos Gil in the team.

We will ignore stuff at our peril.

Thank god Dean is linking us with Reina and NZonzi, a clear realisation of the need for Character and presence.

Edited by TRO

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

No we need to break from players poncing around the pitch trying to look busy and having no intention of physical contact and allowing opposition players to call the tune.

That's Hourihane and Luiz to a tee

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I don’t get what you’re trying to say here. We signed Hogan after he ran rings around us..? That simplistic approach also isn’t a careful evaluation.

I’d probably say that the way that our transfers are currently going IS following a careful evaluation (especially after hearing all the stuff that Purslow/Smith said at the start of the season about age/ character etc of signings). The main issue this year is that we needed to build a whole squad.

The fact of the matter is that no one has a crystal ball. You can’t predict who will or won’t be a successful signing. Experience has failed before, newbies have succeeded before. Both have done the opposite. Age and youth have both succeeded and failed also.

Sorry Rob, Its not arrogance, But I can see the issues as clear as a bell...football is simple and yes it is a careful evaluation.

You can build a whole squad all day long, but if the balance is not right, it becomes a fruiltless exercise.

I can't really help you if you can't see what I am saying.

Hogan Didn't run rings around us, thats a myth.

No one has a crystal ball, and no your can't predict who will and who won't be a succesful signing.......but the ones who do, do it have nous and foresight and above all create balance in a team....we can't have a team full of Jack Grealish's as tempting as it might be.

But The Saunders and his team, built a balanced squad as did Leicester......Man Utd have Faultered since Ferguson.....Why, because the balance is not right....these guys knew what was needed and where.

Our midfield has been woeful for some time, that's not by accident, it's by managers not beeing focused on the task in hand.....They have all took too long for the penny to drop.

as an example, Hourhane has a wand of a left foot, but does little else, we are blinded by it......that has been left unattended for too long, he is limited and we have too many limited players trying to keep us up in a league, where the opposition will fight for every ball.

Ignore ,what I am saying, I don't care.....but I want us to stay up and snowflakes like Jota and the like,won't keep us up

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

but I want us to stay up and snowflakes like Jota and the like,won't keep us up

He's played 65 mins in 3 mostly miniscule appearances since surgery. You could probably name half a dozen in our team that deserve criticism before Jota

• Like 3