January Transfers 2019/20

sne

25 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I don’t disagree with the pace part. I, and many others, have also said that from the start of the season. I was talking about McGinn being a battler. 

We need a bigger, stronger player in the other 2 centre midfielders? I see a lot of people saying this, like it will suddenly solve all of our problems. I’ve got news for you. It won’t. We’ll still be a squad cobbled together on a budget due to years of squad mismanagement. The only difference is we’ll have some lumbering lump in the middle, picking up yellow cards and being the next scapegoat when they don’t suddenly inspire us to a Watford-esq winning run.

I am not proposing some limbering lump like Jedinak. It needs to be an athletic, physical player who can tackle, run all day, head the ball, win second balls and support the attack. Someone who the opposition fear. I am talking Viera/Keane.

Funny you should mention Watford because they have a couple of them

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

Is Tuanzebe getting a game at United. He would be an improvement on Hause/ Konsa.

Vida in for hause/konsa,  n'zonzi in for nakamba would be very smart business, dont know how much is paper talk with those players linked though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Uncle Albert said:

N'zonzi would be perfect alongside luiz and im sure we would see results improve as a result, i think its all rumours though unfortunately 

Is it rumour that he's suspended for walking out of training? I'm sure our board will flock to a player like that

8 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Surprised so little business has been completed overall ... Proves how difficult it is to sign players and find value in Jan.

With the logic some people use your'd expect every club to announce all their signings on January the first. In this scenario if clubs don't announce players that early then those involved are so stupid they didn't even realise the window was open.

• Haha 1

Wouldn’t be surprised if it eventually became a loan only window in January. No club really wants to sell their players during this window - especially someone that is a starter. However, at the half way point I think it is right that clubs are allowed to tweak a couple of things with some loans. 

17 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I don't wanna see another mention of Maupay in here. Such a horrible word removed.

He isnt even that good either, seen lot of criticism from his own fans saying Murray or Jahanbaksh(sic) should start

• Like 1

It’s clear January is being used as a desperate attempt to paper over the chasms in the squad. 

I think there is far too much sympathy on here for the club and the difficulties of the January window. They massively f***** up in the summer and the price they’re paying is having to scramble around in January to replace either the poor players they signed in the summer or to find players in positions they neglected. 

I honestly don’t trust the club to get it right at the moment in terms of the personnel they’re bringing in. I mean, look at Drinkwater, there are no words to describe how bad his first two performance have been. I also really want to get excited about Samatta but fear he’s another Wesley/Trezeguet/Nakamba etc. What is this obsession with the Belgian league? I know the Belgian national team is fantastic but last time I checked, we hadn’t signed any of the internationals and most of the good ones move away from that league as soon as they’re deemed to have any sort of potential.

Ive been quite vocal on here about how poor I think our summer business was but want to clarify that I don’t think it was an easy task and I can see why it has failed. If you’re trying to put a squad together made up of 10m pound players and expect to compete at this level, you’re going to have a shock. However, I still think we went about it completely the wrong way. I’m not one to bang on about ‘premier league experience’ but I genuinely think you could assemble a better squad than what we have at the moment with the best players from The Championship and the Scottish League for the same price. At least these players would show a bit of fight and aggression. 

Many talk about ‘hindsight’ being a wonderful thing referencing how many were excited about our summer dealings at the time. A nonsensical argument in my opinion for two reasons. Firstly, we were all excited because the love we had for the owners and what they managed in their first season in English football. We trusted them to get it right. Suso came with a stellar reputation, we trusted him to get it right. That’s why we were excited. We all believed these players were hidden gems that the club had been tracking for a while and that they’d come in and have a Leicester style impact on the division. Nakamba was the new Kante. Trezeguet was the new Mahrez etc. We can be forgiven for getting excited and thinking this. 

As for Hindsight and the argument, ‘he looked a great buy/gamble at £10m, hindsight is a beautiful thing’. Nonsense. These players should have been thoroughly researched before we brought them in. This mantra that because a player only cost 10m, they’re allowed to be poor in the Premier League is dangerous. 10m is a lot of money and once you start saying this about 4/5 players, all of a sudden you’ve gambled 50/60m away. 

Are we any better than we were last season? At best you could argue we are slightly better but if you honestly asked me if we could go to Fulham, Leeds or Brentford right now and get a result, I’d say it would be tough with the players we have. We came into the league with 3 Premier League standard players in Mcginn, Grealish and Mings and I’m afraid having spent £140m, we still only have 3 Premier League standard players. If we go down, we’re going to really struggle to recoup even half of what we paid for the likes of Namkamba, Trezeguet and Wesley. If we stay up, we’re in exactly the same position as we were last summer anyway - having to buy quality players to play around the aforementioned 3.

Christ, how negative does this sound?! Pass me the noose. 

I’ll wrap it up now as I’ve lost 30% of my phone battery just typing this. I’m a Dean Smith fan. I’m a huge fan of NSWE. I just think they massively got it wrong in the summer and they may pay the price for it in years to come, regardless of what division we find ourselves in. FFP is unforgiving. 

• Like 1