January Transfers 2019/20

sne

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

Sorry Rob, Its not arrogance, But I can see the issues as clear as a bell...football is simple and yes it is a careful evaluation.

You can build a whole squad all day long, but if the balance is not right, it becomes a fruiltless exercise.

I can't really help you if you can't see what I am saying.

Hogan Didn't run rings around us, thats a myth.

No one has a crystal ball, and no your can't predict who will and who won't be a succesful signing.......but the ones who do, do it have nous and foresight and above all create balance in a team....we can't have a team full of Jack Grealish's as tempting as it might be.

But The Saunders and his team, built a balanced squad as did Leicester......Man Utd have Faultered since Ferguson.....Why, because the balance is not right....these guys knew what was needed where.

Our midfield has been woeful for some time, that's not by accident, it's by managers not beeing focused on the task in hand.....They have all took too long for the penny to drop.

as an example, Hourhane has a wand of a left foot, but does little else, we are blinded by it......that has been left unattended for too long, he is limited and we have too many limited players trying to keep us up in a league, where the opposition will fight for every ball.

Ignore ,what I am saying, I don't care.....but I want us to stay up and snowflakes like Jota and the like,won't keep us up

Spoton

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

I find it slightly odd calling players snowflakes just because they maybe lack the elite athleticism required for the premier league. 

Really, but i guess, you get the drift....pardon the pun.

Maybe, I need to be more selective with my words.

But hopefully, you get my point even if you disagree with it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

Sorry Rob, Its not arrogance, But I can see the issues as clear as a bell...football is simple and yes it is a careful evaluation.

You can build a whole squad all day long, but if the balance is not right, it becomes a fruiltless exercise.

I can't really help you if you can't see what I am saying.

Hogan Didn't run rings around us, thats a myth.

No one has a crystal ball, and no your can't predict who will and who won't be a succesful signing.......but the ones who do, do it have nous and foresight and above all create balance in a team....we can't have a team full of Jack Grealish's as tempting as it might be.

But The Saunders and his team, built a balanced squad as did Leicester......Man Utd have Faultered since Ferguson.....Why, because the balance is not right....these guys knew what was needed where.

Our midfield has been woeful for some time, that's not by accident, it's by managers not beeing focused on the task in hand.....They have all took too long for the penny to drop.

as an example, Hourhane has a wand of a left foot, but does little else, we are blinded by it......that has been left unattended for too long, he is limited and we have too many limited players trying to keep us up in a league, where the opposition will fight for every ball.

Ignore ,what I am saying, I don't care.....but I want us to stay up and snowflakes like Jota and the like,won't keep us up

I'm an advocate of heading and tackling, indeed my fave player at the mo Is fred, because it matters to him, he tries to win every challenge, 50 50 or 60 40, header or tackle.

But realistically we only need 3 or 4 of those on the pitch at any one time.

Winners of the ball who can mix it but have energy and skill too.

A forward who presses, 2 midfielders who attack the ball and at least 1 defender.

You will always get you none physical types, your le tis, lineker, owen, gazza, Beckham, they should be the focal point of the team, allowed to create their magic and let others win it for you.

At the moment we have 1 or at a push 2 tacklers and far too many none physical players.

So people like CH have a place, as long as there is those 4 fighters. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

I'm an advocate of heading and tackling, indeed my fave player at the mo Is fred, because it matters to him, he tries to win every challenge, 50 50 or 60 40, header or tackle.

But realistically we only need 3 or 4 of those on the pitch at any one time.

Winners of the ball who can mix it but have energy and skill too.

A forward who presses, 2 midfielders who attack the ball and at least 1 defender.

You will always get you none physical types, your le tis, lineker, owen, gazza, Beckham, they should be the focal point of the team, allowed to create their magic and let others win it for you.

At the moment we have 1 or at a push 2 tacklers and far too many none physical players.

So people like CH have a place, as long as there is those 4 fighters. 

Totally agree....the heading is a real important issue for me....it shows a willingness to compete and many territorial advantages can be created from it.

7 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Posted this in another forum. I left out players without enough game time so no Jota, Lansbury, Drinkwater. So Conor is actually 15th in squad out of people that have played significant game time

Tackles:
1st Fred 3pg
2 Nakamba
3 McGinn
4 Hause
5 Targett
15th Hourihane 0.6pg

Interceptions:
1st Targett 2.2pg
2 Fred
3 Nakamba
4 Engels
5 Konsa
15th Hourihane 0.3pg

This is exactly what I see in games with my own eyes with Connor. Outside of attacking situations a complete absence of intent and responsibility and a huge defensive liability.

His goals and assists (which I cheer as loudly as anyone) do not compensate in my view for his defensive inadequacies, which is our Achilles heel as a team.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

We've scored 28 goals (9th in the league) and Wesley was rubbish according to many, some even said was like playing with 10 men, so what's the problem?

That we can't defend for toffee as we don't have a midfielder  at this club  who tackles since McGinn got injured.

Edited by The Fun Factory

9 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

That we can't defend for toffee as we don't have a midfielder  at this club  who tackles since McGinn got injured.

Mostly agree except Nakamba does but Luiz hardly and Hourihane barely at all. We were letting in too many goals before McGinn got injured

6 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Contract is up in June. Let's lowball them.

Ah fair enough. More likely to go for a move somewhere else then - can’t see a permanent deal here but thought he might want to be playing regularly ahead of the Euros.

3 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Ah fair enough. More likely to go for a move somewhere else then - can’t see a permanent deal here but thought he might want to be playing regularly ahead of the Euros.

Yeah, I'm expecting he'll be playing for Liverpool come August.

23 hours ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

What was needed this month:

2 x strikers (one of whom needed to be a proven goalscorer)
At least one winger (with pace)
A tall, powerful centre mid to beef up our kitten like midfield
A decent attacking left back (Targett is a sicknote and Taylor is nowhere near the standard needed)
An experienced, technically good central defender (IMO so that Mings could potentially move to the LCB spot instead of Hause)
An experienced GK to replace Heaton

What we'll get:

Slimani at a guess (jury is out on whether you think he's proven - certainly not ripped it up in this league)
Samatta (unproven)
Drinkwater (massive gamble and not the type we needed IMO)
Reina ✔️

The likes of Bowen, Nzonzi, Vida, Callejon etc are wishful thinking.  Been there, got the t-shirt, they ain't happening folks.  Which is a shame because some of those signings would give us a real chance of staying up.

If we had signed Reina on loan, Nzonzi on loan with view to buy, Bowen on loan with view to buy and, Callejon on loan with view to buy there's no way we would go down. 

• Like 1