January Transfers 2019/20

sne

Just now, Farlz said:

2 massive games against Brighton and Watford and we aren't going to have a striker. It really is a disaster. 

Nah, El Ghazi has 1 goal in 1 league game as a striker. We'll be fine ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We’re arguably a better team with el Ghazi up front anyway. If we’re being honest, we’ve played the entire season without a striker really. 

He's better than Wes, but he's still not a striker.

Samatta will be done by Watford surely.

7 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I think I'm the only person that thought El Ghazi was useless in the two games he's played upfront. He ran around a lot which seems to have been enough for some on here. 

In my eyes in both games we had about 7 % possession and one of the main reasons was we had no outlet ball just bounces of him when played long.

I'll write Brightons game plan now it wont take long. Press the CBs and cut off the angles to prevent the ball coming through to the midfield. Force them to play long to El Ghazi, Trezeguet etc. They wont retain possession so we can build our attacks again. 

edit - I should add I dont blame El Ghazi for that it's not his role in the team. Just stating a fact that he doesn't seem well suited to it. Hope he proves me wrong and bags a hat trick tomorrow. 

It's funny how people see the game differently. I thought that, against Man City, his hold up play was actually really good (considering the very small sample size available in a game where we had so little possession).

Dare I say it, he held up the ball better than Wesley has for most of the season. He seemed to be able to run to where the ball was headed AND control it with his chest. Two things that Wesley could do with working on. (FYI I'm no Wesley-hater. I've got patience and faith that he'll come good).

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I suspect me and @Stevo985 wear the same 'invisible' ankle socks. Mine are tiny little, really thin, white things.

Mine have been going missing over the last few weeks, I'd assumed they'd just been getting chewed up by the washing machine until Mrs P asked me why I'd been throwing all my socks away recently.

Turns out I'd been taking them off, leaving them on the floor, then seeing them later and chucking them in the bin because i thought they were dried up wet wipes.

Anyway, who we signing?

Ive got about 30 pairs of those 😂😂

but the picture in question I was genuinely sockless

21 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I think I'm the only person that thought El Ghazi was useless in the two games he's played upfront. He ran around a lot which seems to have been enough for some on here. 

In my eyes in both games we had about 7 % possession and one of the main reasons was we had no outlet ball just bounces of him when played long.

I'll write Brightons game plan now it wont take long. Press the CBs and cut off the angles to prevent the ball coming through to the midfield. Force them to play long to El Ghazi, Trezeguet etc. They wont retain possession so we can build our attacks again. 

edit - I should add I dont blame El Ghazi for that it's not his role in the team. Just stating a fact that he doesn't seem well suited to it. Hope he proves me wrong and bags a hat trick tomorrow. 

It depends on your expectations of what a striker should do.

El Ghazi as you point out is not going to hold the ball up, he's decent in the air but he's usually up against smaller fullbacks, he's not going to win much against a big center half. However, he's one of the best finishers we have, has good movement, decent mobility and a trick when he needs it. He won't pose the same threat as Wesley, he'll offer a different challenge to their defence.

You're right about Brighton's game plan, however that would be their plan anyway. We've struggled against a high press because we insist on playing out from the back, the midfield balance is all out and there's not enough movement, so we often play ourselves in to trouble. When we have gone long even with Wesley in the team it's rarely been successful, and generally been as a last resort. Brighton would be pressing us anyway regardless of who we have up top.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have a recognised striker with either more pace or more strength than El Ghazi, but in truth he's not a terrible option. More concerning is what happens if he gets injured?...

Edited by Teale's 'tache
missed a word