Addiction

KentVillan

5 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Definitely.

It's still the main site I visit day after day. I will be a very sad bugger the day it no longer exists.

But. It will always exist. 

...won’t it? 😳

Other than VT, nicotine (smokeless) is my main and only proper addiction. I do think I am prone to addiction, though. I’ll get easily hooked by games, working out etc. I’ll also feel physical stress if I have to miss a Villa game, or can’t attend home games for my Norwegian team (I’ve missed about a handful in a decade). I guess that is a form of addiction. 

14 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm a binge drinker and have no issues with going months between any alcohol

When the NHS defines binge drinking as drinking more than 8 units (3 units per 5% pint) in a sitting, then a lot of people technically become 'binge drinkers' who wouldn't regard themselves as binge drinkers.  Ignoring that (IMO ridiculous) definition for a second, I think actual binge drinkers know who they are*.  I'm definitely a binge drinker, in that I like a session.  If I go to the pub then I'm probably out until the end of the night.  Unless I've specifically decided beforehand that I'm 'leaving after X' then I'm probably out til the end.  But, like you, I can go any amount of time without a drink (I'm currently on a dry September co-incidentally).

* for me, a binge would be 6 pints and above.

• Like 1

I'm lucky that I don't have an addictive personality at all. I have smoked and never liked it. Drugs? Recreational ones were meh. Painkiller addiction was real but past that now Alcohol... bit like Tony, I can go months without it and then go away with the lads and i'll turn into Pete Doherty for a week. As soon as I'm back home I can stop. A lot of my people in my office drink every night a home... that baffles me, I can't enjoy alcohol at home. Its a social thing for me.

I deleted all my social media years ago and don't miss it at all. I see a large number of younger people are obsessed with their phones and social media... sad to see really. VT is my only vice now. 

2 hours ago, BOF said:

When the NHS defines binge drinking as drinking more than 8 units (3 units per 5% pint) in a sitting, then a lot of people technically become 'binge drinkers' who wouldn't regard themselves as binge drinkers.  Ignoring that (IMO ridiculous) definition for a second, I think actual binge drinkers know who they are*.  I'm definitely a binge drinker, in that I like a session.  If I go to the pub then I'm probably out until the end of the night.  Unless I've specifically decided beforehand that I'm 'leaving after X' then I'm probably out til the end.  But, like you, I can go any amount of time without a drink (I'm currently on a dry September co-incidentally).

* for me, a binge would be 6 pints and above.

Yeah by binge I mean I feel going to the pub and having 4 pints is a waste of time , I’d rather drink cola in those situations

my binge drinking is things alike next Saturday  when I’ll be all day drinking at the ashes followed by a pub crawl then a live band somewhere and then pestering the hotel bar for a beer at .4am  :)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't like to drink

I like to get drunk 

Drinking without getting drunk seems a waste of money to me

I like to drink (I love a good draught ale).  

I don't like to get (too) drunk. 

Getting a mild buzz on (say, three pints) is perfect. But even that will make me feel a bit shit a couple of hours later. 

I went to a retirement 'do' for an ex colleague yesterday. Spent about four hours in the pub, had five pints, enjoyed it, felt crap last night and most of today. That was pretty much a binge for me, and I ALWAYS regret it. 

Back to one bottle of Guinness at home tonight. Perfect. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Rodders said:

I've gambled for 15 years, and currently in my latest attempt to quit. At Uni it was around the time Texas Hold Em seemed to explode, so that was easy - spare time, grant money, and easy access never a good combination. Also sport betting, I knocked poker on the head about 10-11 years ago, but sports betting is so easy to carry on with. I've had various phases of getting arried awya, self-excluding myself and stopping for a few weeks, at one point a full 8 months, but the temptations and the offers that flood in always bring you back. What's a harmless free £10 bet here or there? It's almost worse when you have an initial win - that £60 profit one weekend invariably never lasts. 

I'm fully aware the house always wins, and the odds are against me and have been for some time but the irrationality of addictive / compulsive behaviour draws you in. After a certain period of time the idea that "one big win" would be enough to make me stop was obviously just a daft rationalisation of why I kept coming back. Fortunately, the spells of financial **** ups were relatively small. There was one time I chased some lost money on in play betting and lost £200 in about 2 minutes. That was a low point, for someone either a student or on low income that was stupid. I've had various controls on multiple sites with deposit limits, which seemed to work for a bit, I've had times where I've accepted the habit, and said, right £40 / month is a budget, factor it in as a social cost you're happy to pay for some fun. But the hook is more than just trying to enjoy a nice profit, it was filling time, and then occupying my thoughts. When you wake up to check your accy on overnight sports results from tennis or football the other side of the world, you realise you've got it wrong. 

But even realising that, you don't stop, because, hey, that was just one bad night. Just take a couple of days or weeks off and you'll return to "sensible habits" - weekend only betting. That is the next step in containing it. But then you allow that, and you realise you've spent a weekend pre-occupied by accy's and you've not got the emotional energy for anything else, you can't be arsed to read a book, your attention span has gone, you try watching shows or films etc whilst following matches in play, you cannot relax and immerse yourself in any one activity for long periods of time, without wandering if there's not some random event you could place a small £2 bet on. It's only 2 or 3 quid, what's the harm. And when you've then lost 3 of those of in a row, another £10 deposited into the account as you'll have better luck next time, you realise weeks have gone past, things you wanted to do, or needed to, say some studying or tidying fall by the wayside. 

Each element is just insidious. On it's own it all seems so small and slight, and easy to rationalise as comparable to other non gambling activities - "this is just my leisurely distraction, no biggie". In the past 3-4 years it has been so easy to do as my work has been so quiet and dull, that I have been able to spend afternoons on livescore / flashscore betting on tennis as I am bored. Instead of doing my postgrad diploma, "you can't study at work as you can't focus", but I can apparently happily waste all day checking scores, each point of tennis, each ball of cricket etc. I've opened and closed and excluded myself from so many accounts I've lost track, - but I always kept one or two sites open or short term closed off, just in case, but a month or so ago, was the first time I permanently excluded myself from most of the accounts. I think there are a couple of others which I've simply closed myself off for a year from, but that's progress I guess. 

I hate it. I hate how it consumed my thoughts, and how easy it is to rationalise, even if the financial cost was - in gambling problem terms - pretty small - the waste of brain space and energy on it has been depressing. It affects relationships, I've lied to people including past girlfriends when asked if I was gambling, and it's easy to be light about in friends and make jokes about cheeky bets and it seem like just a healthy past time. By consuming all that time and energy up, it then stops you looking properly at say other jobs, or activities you may want to do, as you've spent that time worrying about who beat who in some random match.  I'm currently in a healthy relationship, and with a wedding next year and plans for kids after that, that reality has helped focus my mind and hopefully disabuse myself of the notion that the activity is harmless, I want to be all in engaged and not distracted - tangent time: my new bugbear is smart phone use - it drives me up the wall, so much of life seems to be geared up to prevent us from just enjoying the moment - but the bastard thing is so convenient. 

I don't know what qualifies as addiction, or compulsive behaviour, but when you want to stop doing something and you can't, that's sufficiently frustrating and stressful to be considered some form of problem. Even though I rarely caused myself financial hardships, a few bad days aside, over the course of all gambling I've done since starting as an 18 year old, I could probably say my outlay on gambling is between 10-15k. Spread out over time it probably isn't lot's but I can't imagine my winnings as topped £3k. My first ever bet came in  was a fiver on 60/1 odds that came in. In hindsight I probably wish I hadn't won that. 

Smart phone use is the latest shitfest that's buggering up people's lives and I think it is an addiction too. My sympathies for those with addictions. 

The process of addiction versus habit is night and day really. Addiction is about physical brain changes. You see some people say "Oh after the first line etc " i was addicted. Technically untrue and impossible. Though if it's used as some form of anaesthesia to soothe some part of the brain that's been hit with trauma etc then the process of addiction can take hold quite quickly. I've dealt with it for years and come out the other side. Counselling and a good grasp of how the brain works etc has helped me enormously. Tried 12 steps. Not for me. Helped many though.

Edited by Johnnyp
Mistake
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I don't like to drink

I like to get drunk 

Drinking without getting drunk seems a waste of money to me

I like getting drunk, but I don't like being drunk. 

• Like 1

I’d say I’m prone to compulsive behaviour but don’t know if I’d define myself as having a addictive personality. Other than a punt on the Grand National I won’t gamble and occasionally have dabbled in drugs, but I have gone 6-8 months without touching the stuff and if it’s offered I will. I do enjoy a drink though.

I don’t know if this’ll make sense to anyone else but sometimes I do feel like I beat myself up and make it seem like a problem when I’m fact it isn’t a problem. But isn’t that typical addict mindset? 

I feel for people with gambling addictions. Cigarettes are sold in plain packaging and can’t be promoted but if you watch a game of football you have to sit through flashing lights and great odds, only for bellwhiff Ray Winston to tell you to gamble responsibly afterward.

I remember a South Park episode about a character being addicted to paid mobile games. It talks about how the alcohol industry will force it down your throat:- “DRINK DRINK PUSSY DRINK” but followed with a quick “Please drink responsibly.” 

Maybe if it wasn’t so readily available to us all, all these vices? 

Anyway, I’m rambling. As I write this I’m enjoying a Magners in the pub waiting for a friend. Swings and roundabouts. 🤣

• Like 1

@KentVillan I’ve just posted about the marketing element behind gambling and drinking and I’m genuinely baffled that even dealers are developing their own marketing campaigns.

On another note, more power to you mate. Hope you can get over the hill. From what you’ve said I’ve been there a few times. It does get better mate. Just find as much focus in something productive. I could list a few tired cliches but I’ve honestly found that you just need to find something in yourself and you overcome this nonsense. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

@KentVillan I’ve just posted about the marketing element behind gambling and drinking and I’m genuinely baffled that even dealers are developing their own marketing campaigns.

On another note, more power to you mate. Hope you can get over the hill. From what you’ve said I’ve been there a few times. It does get better mate. Just find as much focus in something productive. I could list a few tired cliches but I’ve honestly found that you just need to find something in yourself and you overcome this nonsense. 

I think there's a horrible convergence of TV shows like Breaking Bad / Narcos, hip hop / grime culture which often revolves around being rich from selling drugs, and then the whole youth entrepreneur "hustle" culture where being a salesman 24 hours a day is somehow considered cool. So they see themselves as the CEO of their little enterprise. I've been given business cards before. It's ludicrous really. I suspect the police just can't be arsed to go after a low-level dealer who may only have a few grams of anything on him at any one time, so the whole thing has been allowed to spiral out of control.

Also, as the market has become more competitive, dealers are more likely to be "nice" to their customers - delivering on time, giving you fair weights, not cutting it, charging you a reasonable price, giving occasional discounts, etc. It really is very similar to any other market for any other product, just with the added risk of your brain exploding.

They're probably also a bit desperate for the cash, given the world they've found themselves in, so when a good customer suddenly goes missing (they may only have about 5-10 main customers) that's a big dent in their revenue.

Anyway, while it's probably an economist's dream, for an addict, it really doesn't help at all.

1 hour ago, SuperTed said:

I feel for people with gambling addictions. Cigarettes are sold in plain packaging and can’t be promoted but if you watch a game of football you have to sit through flashing lights and great odds, only for bellwhiff Ray Winston to tell you to gamble responsibly afterward.

Most (all?) sports have banned tobacco advertising and alcohol advertising is frowned upon (although not banned in all sports IIRC) but the whole of the football world is awash with gambling sponsors. Must be over half of the premier league now. Like you say you have Paddy Power or Bet365 trying to be all pally/laddy with fans, which really pisses me off. Should be banned 

• Like 1

On 05/09/2019 at 16:59, Michelsen said:

But. It will always exist. 

...won’t it? 😳

Other than VT, nicotine (smokeless) is my main and only proper addiction. I do think I am prone to addiction, though. I’ll get easily hooked by games, working out etc. I’ll also feel physical stress if I have to miss a Villa game, or can’t attend home games for my Norwegian team (I’ve missed about a handful in a decade). I guess that is a form of addiction. 

I’m a bit like this. 

I can form habits pretty quickly (good and bad), but then I find the good ones drop off after a while, but the bad ones hang around for ages. 

I think everyone has it in them to become addicted to things,, but like any illness/condition some are more to prone to serious issues than others. 

I love a gamble too. Mad for the footy and horses. I’m always in control , and only bet what I can afford to lose, or shall I say what I’d be comfortable with losing. Is it a problem though ? Yes, because it effects my moods, and I’m constantly checking. I also look forward to betting day which is usually a Saturday . I gave myself Cool off time before, and I’ve lowered my weekly allowance at times. I do enjoy it though and have no plans on stopping. It won’t ever get out of hand I’m sure of that , but it is nice to give yourself a break from it. It takes a weight off your shoulders when you don’t gamble. When the big festivals are on I’m literally totally consumed by that days racing.

Booze. Once I get a taste I can’t f**king stuff until there’s nothing left or I’m asleep.  I can go days without it but feel like shit and take meds for depression.  I don’t drink to be social, just the feeling. Happily drink alone.  Only thing that stops me becoming a full blown alki is my career. 

Dirty habit.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

cocaine use,

Interesting and somewhat enlightening post 

Never tried myself , my total drugs experience was sniffing amyl  nitrate in the toilet of a nightclub in Uxbridge with Zammo Mcguire and Pogo Patterson whilst singing “just say no “  , that might still be the highlight of my life !!!  

Sounds like I missed out ..:

i worked at an investment bank for a few Year’s and you could see it’s usage was rife , good luck to anyone needing a poo around lunchtime as the cubicles were always full but daft as it sounds before then I thought cocaine was something you took to sorta make you feel invincible and full of confidence ... to my eye it looked like they literally needed it to function through the working day ...

• Haha 1

Â