Cameron Archer

Zatman

5 hours ago, PaulC said:

When do we play Sheffield United? If he bangs in a couple against us people might think differently. I don't understand this limited player business. He perhaps hasn't the physical attributes of Watkins or Duran but he's still learning and improving.

Its basically one of those things that has been repeated over and over on VT and is now taken as gospel on here, with very little basis in reality

Edited by icouldtelltheworld
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Folski said:

In fairness to Archer I feel like he’s very different to Watkins. Ollie’s weakness is his finishing which can be very hit and miss. A great finish for his first today. Got to be frustrated he didn’t get more of a chance. 

Watkins has one real weakness. His touch is average at best. The finishing thing is overblown. Every striker misses chances. Ollie isn't especially profligate. 1 goal in 3 chances is considered a good finisher, Ollie isn't far off that.

58 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Watkins has one real weakness. His touch is average at best. The finishing thing is overblown. Every striker misses chances. Ollie isn't especially profligate. 1 goal in 3 chances is considered a good finisher, Ollie isn't far off that.

His passing is also awful and his finishing is certainly a weakness for a number 9.

12 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Its basically one of those things that has been repeated over and over on VT and is now taken as gospel on here, with very little basis in reality

That's just not true at all.  Players function in different ways; if someone said to be "Archer is a better finisher than Watkins" I'd probably agree.  If someone said "Archer is a better forward than Watkins" I'd disagree.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Philosopher said:

no I love oli, but he is definitely not a natural finisher.  he gets goals buy he doesn't instinctively take the right option in front of goal.  Archer is more a natural finisher but not as good an all round forward just yet.

• Like 4

Cameron does not fit our system. He needs a striking partner, like McBurnie to do the donkey work. He may well be successful at other clubs, but I cannot ever see him make it here with Unai in charge. We cannot revolve our system around a player who isn't physical enough to play 95% of our games. I think it is just that he is a good CF, but not for us.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

Cameron does not fit our system. He needs a striking partner, like McBurnie to do the donkey work. He may well be successful at other clubs, but I cannot ever see him make it here with Unai in charge. We cannot revolve our system around a player who isn't physical enough to play 95% of our games. I think it is just that he is a good CF, but not for us.

I don't believe that at all.  he is easily. Good enough player that with time he vould fit into an emery style team.  I agree that at the moment he would struggle but with more confidence and physical strength he could play as a 9 or a 10.  he has good acceleration, vision and can pass the ball.

Just now, tezzaleed said:

I don't believe that at all.  he is easily. Good enough player that with time he vould fit into an emery style team.  I agree that at the moment he would struggle but with more confidence and physical strength he could play as a 9 or a 10.  he has good acceleration, vision and can pass the ball.

I think we're saying the same thing. I think he's a good enough footballer, but I don't think he has or ever will have the physical strength to play 50 games a season as the single striker, not many players do but Ollie is a freak of an athlete. I get the impression he wants to play regular football, and couldn't here. Also probably got a pay rise.

7 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

I think we're saying the same thing. I think he's a good enough footballer, but I don't think he has or ever will have the physical strength to play 50 games a season as the single striker, not many players do but Ollie is a freak of an athlete. I get the impression he wants to play regular football, and couldn't here. Also probably got a pay rise.

not quite I think he will naturally get the physical strength in his 20's, but agree he hasn't got it yet.  which is why I'd like to know whether this buy back clause is based in reality in some way or just fiction based on wishful thinking.

Edited by tezzaleed
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, CosmicVillan said:

1. Because we will have to pay more to bring him back than we sold him for and he will be on bigger wages,

2. If Watkins get injured the drop off to Duran is lot bigger than the drop off to Archer 

Very strange decision for me, we had enough matches this season to give him game time, the kid is clearly ready for the step up.     

If we end up buying him back yes he’ll cost more - we’ll have effectively paid Sheff Utd a fee to develop a player in order to be good enough for us, but less then that player would normally cost. That’s a good deal for us.

Yes he’ll be on higher wages, as he would if he developed here and we gave him a new contract. If anything, the terms agreed now are probably favourable for us compared to a new £40 m signing.

39 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

Have you even seen him play? He’s an absolute unit. He destroyed defenders at Middlesbrough 

add to that he’s as quick as anyone we have in our squad 

Edited by kidlewis

43 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

however what I really wanted to check is whether anyone has actually reported there is a buy back clause or is it just a rumour.

We must have because we are incredibly stupid if we’ve just let him go

25 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

not quite I think he will naturally get the physical strength in his 20's, but agree he hasn't got it yet.  which is why I'd like to know whether this buy back clause is based in reality in some way or just fiction based on wishful thinking.

Has been reported a lot of places but its just for one year

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

Have you even seen him play? He’s an absolute unit. He destroyed defenders at Middlesbrough 

add to that he’s as quick as anyone we have in our squad 

Yeah, I've seen him play. But he wasn't the single CF at Boro. Premier League defenders will bully him on his own. Ollie and Duran are units and have the physical attributes, I just don't see archer in that mould.

58 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

18 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

Yeah, I've seen him play. But he wasn't the single CF at Boro. Premier League defenders will bully him on his own. Ollie and Duran are units and have the physical attributes, I just don't see archer in that mould.

What do you actually mean with this talk of physicality? Are you saying that he's not big and strong enough?

He will easily match Watkins in that department given some time, players start to bulk as they get into their 20s.

Â