Cameron Archer

Zatman

People saying about his all round game, he's still young so that will develop with experience. 

It's the finishing that stands out. No hesitation, he knows what he's going to do before the ball drops, that's why he's bagging goals. 

He must have a very good mentatility as well, as he went to Preston & just started firing straight away and he's done the same at Middlesbrough. 

I rate Watkins highly but my one big critiscm of him is how sometimes he seems indecisive in front of goal and misses chances you'd expect a striker to take. It would be very interesting to see the goal tally if Archer had them chances, I'm quite sure he'd have scored more than Ollie. 

We saw a glimpse of what he can do when starting for us in that cup game v Chelsea. He scored a superb header. Hopefully he gets a fair crack next season. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Madness that hw has not been given more starts for us in my opinion.

The kids a better finisher than watkins

Watkins is an all-round better player, hence why he's the preferred choice for three different managers.  Ings was a better finisher than Watkins, if he couldn't start in front of ollie what makes you think Archer should?

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

He has 20 goals in 46 games since the start of last season in all competitions

I hope someone dose a compilation of all his goals, 

Must be some absolute crackers in that lot, Last night was the first time I've watched him properly for a long time and I can't remember him being that fast. 

This lad has got everything, Vision, skill, pace, strength, agility, clinical finishing, explosive sheer power and he's only going to impove at his age,

Now he's doing it at a very high level amongst internationals on a weeklybasis, let's not forgot he was on loan at Solihull Moors 2 season's ago and the complete mismanagement of him under that charlatan Gerrard is a complete fallacy so I just hope Emery sees his true potential. 

IMO there's not much difference with him right now and how Watkins was at the time when we paid £30m for him, 

Personally I think he will be our next big thing to come through the academy and will ultimately in time replace Watkins. 

• Like 1

Those two goals last night! He's at the right place now, putting the finishing touches to the experience he has gained to date, to make him ready for PL games for us next season. Like Tammy did for us, he can help Boro get promoted and then get first team football with the team that loaned him out, the following season.

I think that he already looks a £15m - £20m player and this time next year that price tag may well have doubled. I look forward to him putting pressure on for a regular starting place with us next season. Height wise, he's no Haaland, but he's taller than Kevin Phillips, Gary Lineker and Wayne Rooney, and is the same height as Andy Gray and Ollie Watkins;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John said:

Those two goals last night! He's at the right place now, putting the finishing touches to the experience he has gained to date, to make him ready for PL games for us next season. Like Tammy did for us, he can help Boro get promoted and then get first team football with the team that loaned him out, the following season.

I think that he already looks a £15m - £20m player and this time next year that price tag may well have doubled. I look forward to him putting pressure on for a regular starting place with us next season. Height wise, he's no Haaland, but he's taller than Kevin Phillips, Gary Lineker and Wayne Rooney, and is the same height as Andy Gray and Ollie Watkins;)

There is no way! Not believing that. 

• Haha 1

His future be interesting in the summer. If Villa do sign a striker that would mean Watkins, Duran and a new striker and I don't see him getting any game time next season.  I wouldn't be surprised if Archer is sold in the summer with a buy back clause. Good form for Middlesbrough will mean the club should get a decent fee for him.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Watkins is an all-round better player, hence why he's the preferred choice for three different managers.  Ings was a better finisher than Watkins, if he couldn't start in front of ollie what makes you think Archer should?

I literally cant agree with that or disagree as archer hasnt been given a run of games like watkins has. Watkins although has been alot better recently he still is very frustrating at times as makes wrong decisions and his finishing at times is so poor.

I think archer has potential to be as good if not better than watkins

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Personally I think he will be our next big thing to come through the academy and will ultimately in time replace Watkins. 

No chance.

He's 21 and out on loan.

We've signed a 19 year old who is coming off the bench

If they thought he was the Watkins replacement, they wouldn't have signed Duran and they'd have kept Archer here

Just now, Olof82Mellberg4 said:

No chance.

He's 21 and out on loan.

We've signed a 19 year old who is coming off the bench

If they thought he was the Watkins replacement, they wouldn't have signed Duran and they'd have kept Archer here

Maybe archer wanted more game time? Doesnt mean he doesn't have a future here at all. Just needs more game time

34 minutes ago, John said:

Those two goals last night! He's at the right place now, putting the finishing touches to the experience he has gained to date, to make him ready for PL games for us next season.

That's how I see it too, John. Last night he did well, he might have had a hat trick if it wasn't for the defender getting back and sliding to block at the last minute. Cam should probably have already shot and it was a chance missed. The other thing was he did give the ball away a fair bit - his hold up play needs to improve still, to be Premiership standard (as a starter in the team). But he's improving all the time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, blandy said:

That's how I see it too, John. Last night he did well, he might have had a hat trick if it wasn't for the defender getting back and sliding to block at the last minute. Cam should probably have already shot and it was a chance missed. The other thing was he did give the ball away a fair bit - his hold up play needs to improve still, to be Premiership standard (as a starter in the team). But he's improving all the time.

If he could do some of the stuff Watkins can do - mainly, run the channels and turn hopeful balls into possession - then he can become a better player than Watkins in the next couple of years. 
I have no doubt his positional sense, movement and finishing is probably already on par if not better, but it's what he contributes to the team outside of this that also matters. Nowadays, strikers need to be a bit more than just players who get 10-15 goals a season (as mad as that sounds). 

26 minutes ago, RichW said:

His future be interesting in the summer. If Villa do sign a striker that would mean Watkins, Duran and a new striker and I don't see him getting any game time next season.  I wouldn't be surprised if Archer is sold in the summer with a buy back clause. Good form for Middlesbrough will mean the club should get a decent fee for him.

Personally think if he keeps banging in the goals, Emery will see him as the 3rd striker and use the transfer kitty elsewhere. Archer's potential progression might mean being able to spend £40-50m on a winger rather than £20-30m

I think people need to calm down a bit with Archer. There is a massive difference between the championship and the premier league. He is doing well for sure but you don’t have to dig too deep to see players who excel in the championship and are pants in the PL. The gulf in class is enormous.

That’s not to say he won’t succeed but the rhetoric surrounding him is a bit intense.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

If he could do some of the stuff Watkins can do - mainly, run the channels and turn hopeful balls into possession - then he can become a better player than Watkins in the next couple of years. 
I have no doubt his positional sense, movement and finishing is probably already on par if not better, but it's what he contributes to the team outside of this that also matters. Nowadays, strikers need to be a bit more than just players who get 10-15 goals a season (as mad as that sounds). 

Yeah, Compared to OW, his hold up play and his physical presence (which is part of the former) are not there yet. And there's also a step up in the time you get on the ball and the overall pace of the game between the EFL and the Prem, which is another thing (though obviously, only game time in the Premier can teach that). I really like Cam as a player (as I do OW) and he's already one of the better forwards at EFL Championship level, a real threat. He's perhaps a more natural striker, whereas Olly is a striker converted from a winger, so the positional sense and movement on the box is more natural for Cam.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I literally cant agree with that or disagree as archer hasnt been given a run of games like watkins has. Watkins although has been alot better recently he still is very frustrating at times as makes wrong decisions and his finishing at times is so poor.

I think archer has potential to be as good if not better than watkins

I don't think we have been in a position for a long time where we can drop a player in his prime and play a 20-year-old because he's scored a few goals in the championship.  If Archer was ready to lead the line, he'd have replaced Watkins, he's not.   

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I don't think we have been in a position for a long time where we can drop a player in his prime and play a 20-year-old because he's scored a few goals in the championship.  If Archer was ready to lead the line, he'd have replaced Watkins, he's not.   

How do you know if he is reafy if you dont give him a opportunity.  Even in the cup game vs chelsea he came on scored made a huge difference.  Every time he has been given extended minutes he has delivered. 

Why is he not ready but duran is? 

• Like 1

Â