Pre match thread

roonst83

9 hours ago, striker said:

These are the games that will define Villa's season so really can't afford to take nothing from this despite only being the second game.

Although I'm hoping we get a good result here let's not hang our hat on this. For perspective let's look at Bournemouth last season, they finished 14th which is the general consensus could be our rough spot in the table come the end of the season.

Bournemouth last season amassed 45 points to finish 14th, they won 13, drew 6 and lost 19. Their home record was considerably better than their away record but they still only won 8 home games. 

While I agree this is the kind of game we need to have high aspirations for if we want to stay up, we're still learning as a team and if we lose it wouldn't be a total disaster.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Monsieur Hazdazler said:

Although I'm hoping we get a good result here let's not hang our hat on this. For perspective let's look at Bournemouth last season, they finished 14th which is the general consensus could be our rough spot in the table come the end of the season.

Bournemouth last season amassed 45 points to finish 14th, they won 13, drew 6 and lost 19. Their home record was considerably better than their away record but they still only won 8 home games. 

While I agree this is the kind of game we need to have high aspirations for if we want to stay up, we're still learning as a team and if we lose it wouldn't be a total disaster.

Bournemouth conceded most equal away goals with 2 relegated teams with 45. Next most conceded was 36. They blanked 8 times away. We should be winning a game like this

Worried about King, imo a player that is playing at a club below his level. Consistently scores over 10 goals a season (had 16 two years ago) and has the ability to bully defenders with his pace and power.

We need to get the ball down and play our game, I'm cautiously hoping for a 2-1 win.

50 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Worried about King, imo a player that is playing at a club below his level. Consistently scores over 10 goals a season (had 16 two years ago) and has the ability to bully defenders with his pace and power.

We need to get the ball down and play our game, I'm cautiously hoping for a 2-1 win.

He will struggle to score whilst he is sat in Tyrone Mings back pocket.

2 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Nah mate he isn't.

Saw the Bournemouth v Sheff Utd game and he got pace but he is a poor passer of the ball and isn't technical enough to play for a top 6 club.

He's pace will for sure be a threat we should be prepared for, but i think Mings will handle him.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Ake is a really good player.

They got pace up front with Wilson and King.

Engels and Mings needs to have another good game here.

Ryan Fraser aswell is pretty good.

Think they've got lots of injuries though and wouldn't say their FB and central midfield options are that good so will be space for run into if we can get our passing going.

10 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Looking forward to this game. It will give us a clearer picture of where we are re: Premier League quality. I have high hopes.

I think that is a great comment.

Looking forward to it ✔️

High Hopes ( hope !...not the same as expectations) ✔️

A clearer ( not clear, but clearer ) picture of where we are ( ie, at present it’s all sheer guesswork) ✔️

A lot of wisdom and sense in a few words. 👍

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Bournemouth conceded most equal away goals with 2 relegated teams with 45. Next most conceded was 36. They blanked 8 times away. We should be winning a game like this

Whereas .......I can’t be anywhere near as complimentary about this !

40 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Even though Hourihane is regular starter at international level these days.....;)

not starter in dcm position :)

Edited by Jonsi77

4 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Wilson much the better player imo. They have players that can hurt us for sure with King, Wilson and Fraser, but im confident we can get our first 3 points on the board with this one.

2 minutes ago, Smartin said:

Wilson much the better player imo. They have players that can hurt us for sure with King, Wilson and Fraser, but im confident we can get our first 3 points on the board with this one.

Agree with that.

Wilson is they're best attacker for sure but i have great confidence in Mings and Engels.

It will be interesting to see how Bournemouth play this, they don't have a great away record in the Premier League and from what I've read they didn't really impress against the Blades in their first game. However, they have the experience in this league and won't be as desperate to get points on the board as ourselves.

It wouldn't be a terrible strategy if they sat back and tried to frustrate us for an hour or so and then try and hit us when the crowd is starting to get restless, they know we have 3 late goals conceded fresh in our minds.

However, Howe doesn't strike me as the sort to play that way, more likely they will try to play a counter attacking game using the pace they have up front, soaking up a little pressure and striking when we have over committed and are out of shape. I'd expect them to still try and keep the ball in spells though, they want to invite pressure but not too much.

With this in mind I think we should set up looking to dominate the ball and get forward, but we really need to be careful we don't get caught, so the key is not to over commit, this may mean no changes at full back as some have suggested. I also think if we are going to have plenty of the ball then that is the situation where a player like Jota is likely to show his best play, firefighting isn't really his thing, I wouldn't be overly surprised if either of El Ghazi and Jota started, with one replacing the other depending on the situation we face.

I haven't seen enough of Luiz to say if he will get a start, thought Conor had a decent game at Spurs, but then he had McGinn and Jack sat in right next to him for most of the game, the defensive midfielder is more likely to be on his own and will need to be pretty mobile in this game I'd of thought, so I wouldn't be overly surprised if there was a change there.

I'm quietly confident about this one, we have the players to hurt them, I don't think their defence is good enough to nullify all of our threats and the crowd will be right up for it, Bournemouth are no mugs though, I'm going to plump for a nail biting 1-0.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jonsi77 said:

Perhaps they are not good enough to start. Though expect to see Luiz start vs bornemouth, Hourihane is not in starting standard in PL.

Well then we need to prepare for relegation!
We finished 5th in the Championship last year so we better hope our new recruits are decent otherwise we're in trouble!

40 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Well then we need to prepare for relegation!
We finished 5th in the Championship last year so we better hope our new recruits are decent otherwise we're in trouble!

Mings and Heaton top signings. The other big questionmark. Could be good after christmas