Pre match thread

roonst83

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Luiz is fit, been training hard all summer.

But there's a difference between being fit and being match fit. That's why it's so important to get Luiz games as early as possible. Has to start imo.

Yeah fit enough to play an hour or so at max effort is what I mean. No point starting him if he's dead on his feet by half time. 

3 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Yeah fit enough to play an hour or so at max effort is what I mean. No point starting him if he's dead on his feet by half time. 

If he's only fit to play a half i would still start him.

As i said. It's vital to get this guy match fit as soon as possible. Guy got the potential to become world class, he is highly rated.

37 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Luiz is fit, been training hard all summer.

But there's a difference between being fit and being match fit. That's why it's so important to get Luiz games as early as possible. Has to start imo.

He can manage an hour I'm sure with a weeks training. Wouldn't shock me if we organise a friendly at Bodymoor to get the new guys more up to speed.

Luiz for an hour and then Marvellous on to get some premier league minutes is what I'm hoping. Hourihane simply isn't a long term answer as a DM in this league. He should get games when McGinn is unavailable in any case.

• Like 1

Heaton

Elmo      Engels         Mings        Targett

Hourihane

Grealish           McGinn 

El Ghazi          Wesley          Trezeguet

Subs; Steer, Konsa, Taylor, Luiz, Jota, Kodjia, Davis

Basically the same team that started against Spurs but Targett coming in for Taylor as it should be a game we try to play on the front-foot and we should have a lot more possession than we did at Spurs.

I think it's important to keep the back 5 settled as much as possible.

I thought Luiz looked off the pace when he came on and might need a bit more "easing in" time, Jota and Kodge were poor when they came on (in albeit difficult circumstances) therefore I don't think they are the right choices.

Naming the subs is just as hard as naming the first eleven with the likes of Lansbury, Chester (inj?), Nakamba, Guilbert, Hause not in the 18 above.

Won't be easy (no games will be this season) but I think we might nick this 2-1 with the 12th man behind the deciding factor :) 

UTV

On 11/08/2019 at 10:52, OutByEaster? said:

I've woken up with a feeling we'll lose this one. Bournemouth are a good side and I just get a feeling we'll think it'll be easier than it will be. 

I think the urgency to get our first win under our belts as soon as possible means we won't be taking this for granted at all.  I know where you're coming from.  I just don't think it'll pan out like that.  If we do lose, it won't be down to complacency.  Having said that, I don't think we lose.

• Like 3

Have spoken to someone who watched Bournemouth on Saturday he said they were unexpectedly poor. Not sure if that is because they got caught out by some Wilder brilliance (a manager I rate very very highly) or if it is just a slow start. Either way they will be absolutely looking for a reaction on Saturday just like us. 

26 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Would be harsh to drop Hourihane here I think... 

It might be a little harsh, but I think it's possible.  He was in the DCM role and we conceded 31 shots on goal against Spurs, which is by far the most in the league.  I'm not advocating for dropping him, but there is certainly an argument for bringing in someone more effective at shielding the defence.  You could say Bournemouth aren't Spurs, and you're right.  Maybe you give him Bournemouth to get us back on track? I dunno.  But if we see Marvelous or Luiz then I won't be at all surprised.

• Like 1

There are no guarantees in football, no real nailed on 'certs' other than Man City scoring more than 4 at the London Stadium every time (joke, for the statisticians on the board). However, we need a confidence boosting reaction after Spurs... we're at home... not against a Top 6 troubling side... Anyone can kind of beat anyone, but we have a chance here. We shouldn't treat Bournemouth like mugs, and I'm sure we won't, but we have to go into this game with a belief that we can win this.

If we can't generate that right sort of confidence, we might as well not have bothered getting promotion.

UTV, and in Dean I will trust, win, lose or draw.

Edited by Raver50032

38 minutes ago, BOF said:

It might be a little harsh, but I think it's possible.  He was in the DCM role and we conceded 31 shots on goal against Spurs, which is by far the most in the league.  I'm not advocating for dropping him, but there is certainly an argument for bringing in someone more effective at shielding the defence.  You could say Bournemouth aren't Spurs, and you're right.  Maybe you give him Bournemouth to get us back on track? I dunno.  But if we see Marvelous or Luiz then I won't be at all surprised.

First half we only conceded 7 shots, only one of which was on target.

The difference came in the second half when Spurs battered us for 45 minutes, this wasn't really Hourihane's fault but a collective from the team. They were just too strong for us and we couldn't retain possession as a team.

Second half we conceded 24 shots, 6 on target.

After Hourihane went off for Luiz on the 82nd minute we conceded 6 of the 24 shots and 2 of the 6 shots on target. It was hardly an improvement.

I still maintain that Hourihane had a good first half and is worth persisting with until Luiz and Nakamba are up to speed.

I really think he will cause Bournemouth some problems with set pieces on Saturday.

Edited by wilko154
  • Like 2

Likely line up IMO: 

Heaton

Elmo/Guilbert - Engels - Mings - Taylor/Targett

Hourihane/Luiz

Grealish - McGinn

Trezeguet/Jota - Wesley - El Ghazi

Subs; Steer, Konsa, Taylor, Luiz, Jota, Kodjia, Davis

Think it is tricky, given we have had only 1 game against tough opposition. Taylor/Elmo did better than expected. Jota/Luiz/Kodjia failed to impress in their cameos but circumstances were difficult. Think it will come down to how well the players train during the week more so than how they did on Saturday. 

Edited by cyrusr

12 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Villa are favourites with the bookies, and rightly so. 

While checking (you're right - 7/5 v 21/10) I noticed Leicester 4/1 @ Chelsea ... 🤔🤔

7 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

We spent 140m for a reason. It’s time to see what the new boys are all about. I’d play Luiz, Targett, Guilbert and Jota.

Perhaps they are not good enough to start. Though expect to see Luiz start vs bornemouth, Hourihane is not in starting standard in PL.

• Haha 1