Pre match thread

roonst83

13 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Bournemouth do lack creative players, but are very dangerous on the counter attack. Got some pacey players.

They do I agree but I think we looked very organised in defense against spurs and we got back quickly when needed, we'll see though........I am quietly confident and at home to a bottom half side we should be getting results if we want to stay up.

13 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Last week was a 'park the bus' cop out because we were playing a very good team, this week has to be about the real Dean Smith team and tactics.

That is probably the most nonsense I have read on VT this week.

We didn't play 'park the bus, cop out' football at all on Saturday. First half we gave as good as we got, went at Spurs on the front foot whenever possible and lead the game at half time.

Second half we sat back due to the pressure Spurs put on us, that's what a Champions League Finalist can do to a team like us. We didn't 'park the bus' tactically, we sat back due to the strength of the team we were playing.

Of all recent Villa managers Smith has the most defined plan on how we will play all games, we will play the same way week in week out and try to win games. How we adapt to the opposition during games in the early stages of the season is something we will have to learn from and improve.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Bournemouth do lack creative players, but are very dangerous on the counter attack. Got some pacey players.

brooks being injured is a big loss for them...easily their best attacking player

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Unlucky not to be 2 or 3 nil up against Spurs. Bournemouth were dreadful against Sheffield. Wilson 1 shot all game. Gosling and Brooks injured. If you're writing us off at home against Bournemouth we might as well give up on the season already

I think far too many people are thinking Bournemouth are easy. I think it will take us a while to get going. These were the sort of games Wolves struggled in last year

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So excited for this game. No idea what team he will pick but I think it will be similar to Saturday. Maybe bring in Luiz?

I feel like at least one and maybe both full backs will be swapped out. Thought Taylor did ok on sat to be fair though.

• Like 1

I don't think either of our fullbacks fielded against spurs did anything of note to suggest they should be dropped, but I trust in DS and that he will pick the team best suited for the occasion. would like to see a bit more retention of the ball and I have full confidence that we will as bournmouth are a much weaker side than spurs were and don't press as fiercly. more plays like that beautiful play that (somehow) ended up with spurs getting a foul from a 50/50 with El-Ghazi (what in the f*** was that?!). that was pure delight! I believe it will be a tight game, but a roaring Villa Park and a team with lots to prove I think we'll show what we're capable of, winning this fixture. UTV!

37 minutes ago, Smartin said:

I feel like at least one and maybe both full backs will be swapped out. Thought Taylor did ok on sat to be fair though.

I agree with this too - Guilbert and Targett are younger, more dynamic and overall better than Elmo and Taylor so I would expect them to come in. Both Elmo/Taylor did ok against Spurs but were still the weak links of the back five and outshone by Engels, Mings and Heaton who looked easily capable at this level. I think Guilbert and Targett looked perfectly settled in pre-season games and should be our starting full backs this season so the sooner they come in the better imo. 

Other than the full backs, I'm not sure anything else should change. I think Hourihane's set piece delivery could be quite useful for this game and actually think he did a very decent job against Spurs anyway (we were drawing 1-1 when he went off). I am excited to see what Luiz and Nakamba can do and think Hourihane will be displaced at some point, but not sure their time is yet. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Ponky said:

Is it Saturday yet? 

This one game a week business is rubbish! 

Don't worry, it'll be back to normal next season.

Spoiler

source.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I agree with this too - Guilbert and Targett are younger, more dynamic and overall better than Elmo and Taylor so I would expect them to come in. Both Elmo/Taylor did ok against Spurs but were still the weak links of the back five and outshone by Engels, Mings and Heaton who looked easily capable at this level. I think Guilbert and Targett looked perfectly settled in pre-season games and should be our starting full backs this season so the sooner they come in the better imo. 

Other than the full backs, I'm not sure anything else should change. I think Hourihane's set piece delivery could be quite useful for this game and actually think he did a very decent job against Spurs anyway (we were drawing 1-1 when he went off). I am excited to see what Luiz and Nakamba can do and think Hourihane will be displaced at some point, but not sure their time is yet. 

Yep, I think their energy and willingness to get forward will be so important for us in these kinds of home games. Guilbert's overlaps in particular will cause Bournemouth problems.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tomav84 said:

brooks being injured is a big loss for them...easily their best attacking player

Wilson scored 3 goals and 2 assists in 12 games when Gosling didn't play. 2 of those goals and assists were in 2 games against Huddersfield. So 11 goals 7 assists in 22 with Gosling playing. 

That seems significant. I looked this up after seeing FPL tweet warning Wilson record without Gosling last season

Remember seeing that on MOTD....I was 14.

Look at the state of the pitch in those days!, I have forgotten how bad the playing surface used to be, look at the shortness of the shorts!! and.....48 000 for a 3rd division game!