Pre match thread

roonst83

Currently sat on a boat in the Ionian Sea on my way home from holiday, so wanted to kick this off.

Huge game and tough test for sure. Full house at VP with expectations of a performance high. We need to be right behind the boys for 90mins. Bournemouth are a well oiled outfit who play great football at times and Eddie Howe is a very shrewd manager who I rate highly. He’ll be aware of how we like to play and will try stifle us by sniffing out Grealish. I wonder if Guilbert and Targett come in, whether Luiz starts and if Jota gets the nod ahead of El Ghazi, who I think was poor against Spurs. (I also think Jota was poor in his substitute appearance but think in a team that should have more of the ball we’ll get much more from him).

Goes without saying how much of a huge game it is for Mings. He and Engles will have to be at their best to stop the front boys of Bournemouth. But it’s a game we need to try and get on the front foot of and apply pressure to the opposition all game. Energy levels will be key so I hope the last two games against Spurs and Leipzig, where we had less of the ball, will have improved our fitness levels.

Wesley needs to be stronger and less stroppy than he was against Spurs. A big man up top is always getting some physical treatment to try nullify their threat. For me, he wasn’t first to the ball fast enough and if he does that then he can hold the ball up well and bring the likes of Grealish and McGinn in. Benteke used to do this for us excellently. I’d like to see Luiz start and for Grealish not to have to be so deep. 

Every game in this league will be a very tough test and we have a team and manager getting themselves used to it. A win here would be massive. 

Leta hope we pop those cherries.

• Like 2

Interesting match. Bournemouth  looks a good one to open up on paper for our home season and they only drew at home to Sheffield United yesterday.

Given how we played for 60 minutes there will be expectation on us to win. Think we'll see a change of full back with Targett coming in. Luiz also possible to start at DM. Apart from that it will be the same as yesterday I'd imagine.

One area is if we push more men forward they have a very quick front three of Ryan Fraser, Wilson and Josh King. Their defence isn't that secure though and they rarely keep clean sheets away from home.

Two predictions I'll make, this won't be 0-0 and feels like Tyrone Mings will score the winner.

I want to see us press them the way Dean Smith’s Brentford pressed us when they beat us. I have yet to see this at Villa. I also want more possession than Bournemouth.

If we get that then I’ll be happy for the season ahead. I will take a point.  

On Saturday we play our first home game of this new season. It will be our first home game since we gained promotion at Wembley. Our new look team will need the same sort of backing that we gave the team that secured promotion at the end of May. They will need it on Saturday and during every home game this season.

This is a winnable game. That does not mean that we should expect to win it. We are not yet a strong Villa team that have grown accustomed over recent years, to playing in the top flight, nor are we a club that has regularly finished in the top six. We were in the past and we can be again. Until then, we will be more prone than we would like to be, to occasionally not winning winnable games like this one. If that happens, we will need to keep being supportive of our new look team and not let our anxiety, disappointment or frustration, impact on the confidence level of our players.

That said, three points would be very welcome on Saturday. I know Tyrone for one, will be fired up for this game. 😉 We lost our last home game to Bournemouth in 2016. That was their first ever win at Villa Park and we don't want them making a habit of it! Overall, we have won 3 and have drawn 1 of the 6 league meetings that there have been between the two clubs. We also won the only cup tie played between the two clubs in 2015. Our two home wins have been 2-1, the first of these being a memorable 1972 Division 3 promotion clash played in front of a 48,100 crowd.  Let's make it three 2-1 wins on Saturday. Just do it for us Villa! 

Edited by John

Think this game will tell us more where we're at and how the season will pan out than yesterday. Bournemouth are now in their 5th consecutive season in the top flight and have steadily improved and got stronger each season, so this won't be easy and we shouldn't think so. However, I really think this is a game we ought to win if we're going to survive this season and the sooner we start getting points on the board the better.

Bournemouth's defence isn't the strongest (70 goals conceded last season) but they have a decent attack (56 goals scored). Wilson, King and Fraser will be their biggest threats and I suspect if Harry Wilson plays he'll cause problems too. We need Wesley to do better than yesterday and try to get Grealish on the ball higher up the pitch to cause problems. I think this should happen because we will have a lot more of the ball than we had against Spurs. I reckon we have enough to win but we mustn't underestimate them, need to keep going for 90 minutes, and need the crowd fully behind the team.

I'd personally put Targett in for Taylor, Guilbert in for Elmo, and either Luiz or Nakamba in for Hourihane, but that's purely because I think that would be close to our strongest team on paper and nothing against how those three played yesterday as they all did ok. I think we should try to get our signings integrated early, but Smith may decide to keep them out the team until they're fully settled and up to speed with the team.

If we can get three points on Saturday then a point against Everton we'll have done well.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 3

This is a completely different game than the Spurs game. It's not enough to get behind the ball at home to Bournemouth. We will need to show some attacking intent here. 

In terms of the team I think those that played well vs Spurs should keep their place. So for me the only change I'd make would be Jota for ElGhazi. I actually thought Jota was poor when he came on for Trez but by that time Spurs were completely on top and he didn't get much of a chance to influence the game. I'd like to see Guilbert for Elmo but don't see that one happening.  

In these early games I'm entirely patient. We saw good commitment against Spurs, but repeated misplaced passes and we paid the price. I expect another good show against Bournemouth, potentially another few errors as we get used to the league, but I have a feeling we'll see lots of chances and that Mings, Engels, Heaton will stop a lot. It's down to who takes the chances - time to shine Wesley!.

Heaton

Guilbert   Engels   Mings   Taylor

Hourihane

McGinn           Grealish

Jota           Wesley        Trezeguet

Bench: Steer, Konsa, Targett, Elmo, Luiz, El Ghazi, Kodjia

For me I would go with this on Saturday.

Guilbert and Jota linked up well in pre-season and saw us retain the ball well. The right hand side seemed weak against Spurs

Taylor retains his place for me, as does Hourihane. Both were good and players behind them need to come in and prove themselves.

Would like to see Luiz given a chance second half if it goes well.

• Like 2

I like the idea of starting with jota and enabling ourselves to bring on a bit of pace on the hour mark.

Hourihane doesn't deserve to be dropped and his set pieces could be vital. 

------------------Heaton------------

Elmo-----Engels--Mings--Taylor

---------------------Luiz-------------------

-----------McGinn---Grealish---------

Trezeguet-----Wesley-------El Ghazi

We need to get Luiz match fit as soon as possible, we have no time to waste. As much as i love Hourihane, Luiz is the superior dmf. No room for sentiments. Getting Luiz match fit as early as possible will serve us well in the long run.

I thought the Elmo and Trezeguet link worked well on sunday, Trezeguet played well and Elmo will help him relax and settle.

Edited by villalad21

If Luiz is fit to start I’d go with him as well as Gilbert and Targett. When it comes to dominating the ball and creating pressure you are only as good as your weakest link. Elmo, Taylor and Hourihane all did OK on Sat but if we want to dominate the ball against teams who press we’ll we need to be razor sharp and to do that we need players who are capable of doing that. 

3 minutes ago, villaglint said:

If Luiz is fit to start I’d go with him as well as Gilbert and Targett. When it comes to dominating the ball and creating pressure you are only as good as your weakest link. Elmo, Taylor and Hourihane all did OK on Sat but if we want to dominate the ball against teams who press we’ll we need to be razor sharp and to do that we need players who are capable of doing that. 

Luiz is fit, been training hard all summer.

But there's a difference between being fit and being match fit. That's why it's so important to get Luiz games as early as possible. Has to start imo.

• Like 1