Winning run - did it really end?

turvontour

Since the Derby game on 2nd March, have we not won every legitimate first team tie that we've played in?

OK, bear with me. I concede that we have technically not beaten Leeds away, Norwich at home and West Brom away (in the playoffs). But each of those games should arguably not be counted in respect to the winning run.

1) Leeds - we unfairly played the final 20-25 mins with ten men. El Ghazi's red card being overturned. Therefore, I cant really see that you can count that game as a win or non win either way. If we had gone down to ten men at Hillsboro with 10 mins to go, would we have gone on to score another two goals and win, probably not? We'll never fairly know whether the winning run would have continued there. 

2) Norwich - the easiest of the three games to explain away - it simply wasnt the first team. Wasnt Grealish, McGinn, Abraham etc rested?

3) West Brom away - christ, if you count that night as a defeat then deary me. Probably the wildest celebrations I've seen. We beat West Brom in the playoffs, that's all that matters. You're trying to win the tie, not the individual legs.

Went on to beat Derby, and then all the first team friendlies this summer. We really are just winning games right now. I know it's a friendly but a draw would have been a superb result today, we just cant do it though can we......

• Like 1

I was thinking about this the other day.

But not so much winning, more of an undefeated run....if you stretch it and say games we were bothered about....which we didn't then go through on pens anyway.

West Brom at home in the league is the last match we were bothered in that we came away with nothing. When was that, late Feb?

we drew with Leeds, lost to Norwich, lost 1 of the legs vs WBA, so basically we drew 1 and lost 2 there, cant pretend we didnt draw or lose, because we did.

But.....i agree we have kept, or appear to have kept the desire and mentality that allowed the prior run of 10 wins, and the playoff promotion, to happen, and hopefully that feel good feeling will help us this season when times get a little tough, which im sure they will, plenty of ups and downs expected.

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

we drew with Leeds, lost to Norwich, lost 1 of the legs vs WBA, so basically we drew 1 and lost 2 there, cant pretend we didnt draw or lose, because we did.

That's where my undefeated comes in, though it isn't really!

But we weren't bothered by Norwich. It almost all reserves playing half pace.

And WBA we lost 1-0 but won the tie on pens on the same night.

I've forgotten what it feels like to lose. Hopefully the players have as well.

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I personally don’t think these friendly results count for anything. 

I used to think that, then I realised it is complete nonsense. Tonking Walsall 5-1 is a different ball game to going away to Leipzig in what was clearly a competitive game and winning 3-1 granted, but momentum, confidence and cohesion clearly count for something in this game. 

Otherwise we may as well be watching robots. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I used to think that, then I realised it is complete nonsense. Tonking Walsall 5-1 is a different ball game to going away to Leipzig in what was clearly a competitive game and winning 3-1 granted, but momentum, confidence and cohesion clearly count for something in this game. 

Otherwise we may as well be watching robots. 

Don’t get me wrong I find today really encouraging. But had we lost 3-1 i wouldn’t be too worried either. 

These games soon get forgotten.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We haven’t lost when it counts since the 2-0 defeat to Albion. 

But then we haven’t won when it counts since the playoff final. 

Ye that's fine, I agree with that.

The friendlies just add to it.

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Don’t get me wrong I find today really encouraging. But had we lost 3-1 i wouldn’t be too worried either. 

These games soon get forgotten.

We could beat Spurs on opening day and still be cut adrift at the bottom of the table by Christmas. In the long run, almost every game is forgotten. 

It doesn't mean they have no significance whatsoever. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I could give you the Leeds match cause we looked like we were going to win that match until the red card and dodgy refereeing, but the other two are straight up losses

You surely cant count the Norwich game as a loss if you're discounting the Leeds game. I was at that game, and it felt like going to watch a different club given resurgence of the months prior.

Edited by turvontour

34 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I was thinking about this the other day.

But not so much winning, more of an undefeated run....if you stretch it and say games we were bothered about....which we didn't then go through on pens anyway.

West Brom at home in the league is the last match we were bothered in that we came away with nothing. When was that, late Feb?

Ye must have been mid late Feb.

We haven’t lost with Jack as Captain.

( nobody will ever persuade me we lost to the Baggies in the Second Leg.....I was there and I’ve rarely celebrated as much in my life. ...and the Winners of the Play Off Semi Final go to Wembley.....if you want to see it differently that’s your prerogative!)

• Like 1

Â