U23 Development League 2019/2020

BOF

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think he's better than the eighth tier - he's not a player that I can see in our first team, but I think he's capable now of playing in League one or League two. I'd have thought as a loan he'd have been able to find a place somewhere at that level. 

Which is the level (or level.above) that Mitch Clark has gone to. Don't get me wrong, I was surpised to see him go so low, but maybe they've done this deliberately to toughen a few of them up and guarantee game time.

Šarkić went on loan to Stratford Town and Havant & Waterlooville FC last season, and this season has played and performed well in the Scottish Premier, won his first international cap, and for the time being is our third choice goalkeeper.

29 minutes ago, AndyClarke said:

Which is the level (or level.above) that Mitch Clark has gone to. Don't get me wrong, I was surpised to see him go so low, but maybe they've done this deliberately to toughen a few of them up and guarantee game time.

I was going to mention Mitch Clark - I think they're quite similar in a lot of ways. Mitch was sent out on loan to a League two side - three or four divisions above Banbury. It's just an odd one - I can't see how playing at that level will help develop the player.

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I was going to mention Mitch Clark - I think they're quite similar in a lot of ways. Mitch was sent out on loan to a League two side - three or four divisions above Banbury. It's just an odd one - I can't see how playing at that level will help develop the player.

I agree with this. I don't see why you would want players playing at any level lower than the Conference.

How often do Banbury train? How good can the training or coaching instruction possibly be? Is there not a danger of players at that level simply unlearning the things you've tried to teach them?

You'd hope there's more thought to this then 'let's let the lads from the Dog & Duck kick seven shades of shit out of them to make them real men' but if there is I can't see it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AndyClarke said:

Agreed on the above, hence the likelihood that the club don't see a future for him at Villa.

Which again is something that makes the loan to that level even stranger if anything - we've a history of finding clubs for players we don't see a Villa future for - we've alway been really good at placing players into teams that give them a chance of a career if they don't make it here. This loan seems if anything the opposite of that and I'm surprised the player agreed to it - he'd be doing his career better staying here and there's a fair argument for saying he'd be doing his career better by getting himself released.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyClarke said:

Keinan Davis off injured, precautionary I think.

What on Earth are we doing playing him in this? The lad's a delicate flower, he needs careful handling and storing the right way up, not being bashed by whatever thugs have emerged from the Sandwell school system.

Spoiler

(I live in Sandwell, I'm allowed to call it a shithole).

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

What on Earth are we doing playing him in this? The lad's a delicate flower, he needs careful handling and storing the right way up, not being bashed by whatever thugs have emerged from the Sandwell school system.

Reveal hidden contents

(I live in Sandwell, I'm allowed to call it a shithole).

He needs match fitness, cant remember his last start and we dont play again for 10 days

• Like 3

That was a terrific game of football, Albion are a good side, talented, physical, organised - we gave a them a real good run for their money and deserved something out of it. I thought Mungo Bridge was excellent and Jaden Philogene-Bidace was very exciting.I'll try to do a proper write up tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

That was a terrific game of football, Albion are a good side, talented, physical, organised - we gave a them a real good run for their money and deserved something out of it. I thought Mungo Bridge was excellent and Jaden Philogene-Bidace was very exciting.I'll try to do a proper write up tomorrow.

Got to hope they both make it, if only for the names. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

He needs match fitness, cant remember his last start and we dont play again for 10 days

I still think it was wrong to play him.  You shouldn't be playing someone at that poor a standard in games where opponents can kick lumps out of you.  You arrange a behind-closed-doors friendly on a day that isn't 48 hours after your player made of glass has played his previous first team match.  Because this is what happens.  But it's OK cuz we've loads of fit strikers now.

West Brom defeat stats updated.

Well despite having senior striker Keinan Davis up front, we still went into this game with the youngest starting 11 of the entire league campaign.  The average starting age was just 18.72.  A squeak younger than the side who beat Sunderland back in August (18.80 y/o).  This is owing to some of the cup side coming in to the frame.  18 y/o Brad Burton made his first appearance in any competition for the U23s this season, making the starting 11.  17 y/o Kaine Kesler made his league debut.  16 y/o Sebastian Revan started his 2nd league game & the wonderfully named 17 year old Jaden Philogene-Bidace started his first league game.  We also had the equally-wonderfully named Carney Chukwuemeka come off the bench to make his league debut on 63 minutes.

Our 4th defeat on the trot in all competitions means we're now staring up at the playoff places and our game in hand against last night's victors will be important, and tricky. Next up is a relatively easy game away to 2nd bottom Fulham.  If we don't win that then our young guns will be staring down the barrel.

Massive test for Kessler and Revan, both struggled early on but grew into the game.

We talked about Jake Walker last week, you can see how solid he is a '7 out of 10', a proper fullback. These two however, are exciting talents with their repeated swashbuckling runs forward causing West Brom a massive headache. Modern defenders, it is exciting to see if not a little hair raising at times.

• Like 1