U23 Development League 2019/2020

BOF

17 minutes ago, Unused Sub said:

Looks like Kaine Kesler's Birthday is 22nd October, as stated in his twitter account - @kainekeslerhayd

I can't find anything on Chukwuemeka.

Yeah October 23rd, which is what I used to have, so fmtransfer is correct in that case.

EDIT : And makes him 17, not 16.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:
17 hours ago, MaVilla said:

What was the age profile of the opposition?

On average around a year older - theirs was a young line up too.

08/07/1998 = 21
28/08/2000 = 19
01/10/2000 = 19
14/11/2000 = 19
16/05/2001 = 18
05/06/2001 = 18
19/01/2002 = 18
04/05/2002 = 17
26/09/2002 = 17
05/02/2003 = 17
01/03/2003 = 17

Average is arount the 18.6 years old mark.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Is he? Wow, do you know his date of birth?

If it isn’t officially out there I wouldn’t want to be the person to do it tbh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dadster23 said:

If it isn’t officially out there I wouldn’t want to be the person to do it tbh.

True enough :)  We'll keep scouring the usual footie-related websites.  It'll be there soon enough.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm also wondering if the longer-term plan isn't for us to fold the U23's altogether, and move to Brentford's B-Team system. 

How does that actually work? Do they promote many to first team? 

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

How does that actually work? Do they promote many to first team? 

Brentfords B team dont play in a league - they play all sorts of other teams - some foreign

Would make more sense to scrap the U18 - scrapping the U23 would leave an awful lot of players with no games to play

This is a list of Brentford B team fixtures as an example

https://www.brentfordfc.com/fixtures/brentford-b-fixtures/

Edited by SirSteveUK
addition

The Royals of Reading visited Bodymoor last night, it was cold, it was lively, it had a new star on his first appearance and it had George Boateng amused at my attempts to control a slightly unruly balti pie. Anyway, here’s my thoughts; game first, player stuff after.

We opened really well, Birch shooting wide after good work by Jaden Philogene-Bidace (JPB), then JPB shooting high and wide after being put through by Chukwuemeka. Barry had a lovely little slalom into the box on 17 minutes, cutting through the Reading defence and forcing a save from the keeper, with Birch managing to hit the referee with the rebound. It was all us early on, with JPB again firing one high before playing in Barry who in trying to turn and shoot from a tight angle manage to scuff it entirely.

Villa well on top and therefore completely open to a sucker punch - and a sucker punch it was, a low free kick from five yards outside the box that went completely through the wall and into the net past an unsighted Sinisalo. A poor bit of defending really, the wall didn’t seem to jump, the ball just looked like it went straight through - something for Mr Delaney to work on during the week there.

Reading came into things more after the goal although we still had chances with JPB completing a hat trick of wild shots and Barry losing his balance when played clean through - in fairness he was probably shocked that the linesman hadn’t noticed how far offside he was.

We went in 1-0 down but the better side on balance and still very much in the game.

Reading came out a different animal in the second half, full of intent and aggressive running they were straight onto the front foot and forced a corner, the sliced clearance from that was a sign of our growing nervousness. They then picked us apart to create a chance that they almost took despite having a man offside in our six yard box and obviously interfering. That linesman again, and this time he got plenty of good healthy advice from Mark Delaney - coaching at its best.

A Tyreik Wright shot from distance bounced off the keeper at the other end, but Barry wasn’t quite awake to it and couldn’t capitalise. 

The second goal came from a collectors item - a poor ball from the back by Mungo Bridge - Reading picked it up and played four quick incisive passes to set up a sharp finish into the bottom corner to make it 2-0.

They almost made it three immediately after that, Birch had given the ball away and for a few minutes we looked a little shaky - we picked up our composure though and started applying a little pressure at the other end - Wright shooting into the side netting from a tight angle, then Ramsey running on to an awkward ball to volley just over from around eight yards, Wright curled a shot from distance on target but too near the keeper and then Barry picked up a ball on the left cut across two defenders and shot wide. Kesler was next to try his luck, but his shot was straight at the keeper. Shooting boots seemingly in short supply.

Archer came on in the middle of the park for Chukwuemeka and we continued to press, but Reading broke well again with the always dangerous Danny Loader curling a very deft finish beyond Sinisalo to make it 3-0.

Ramsey took a touch when he should have taken a first time shot after good work from Barry - before Barry took matters into his own hands with a neat finish to bring us back to 3-1. He took a knock in a sensitive area and was replaced by Dimitri Sea on 85 minutes, a decent first home outing for Barry who left the field with a limp, a pained expression and a firm grip on the problem.

Just time for Tyreik Wright to put a free kick a whisker over the bar before the night was over. I thought the scoreline flattered Reading slightly but no complaints about the result.

It’s worth noting just how young this Villa team were, it’s the youngest Villa U23 team I can ever remember seeing with three sixteen year olds and three seventeen year olds in the starting line up. Earlier this year, Tyreik Wright was our youngest player in a couple of games - in this one we had six players younger than him - it’s a massive turnaround and i think it’s worth considering that in our more recent results.

I think we also need to keep in mind the emotions of the night for this young group - a former teammate had passed away this week and there was a minutes silence before the game in tribute. It was clear that for the players there was a real emotion to the game because of that. It’s always a tragedy when any young life is taken and there was something in the reaction of those he’s left behind, both on the pitch and in their social media that suggests that the world has lost a particularly bright light. RIP.

Players:

Sinisalo (6) - One lovely save from a long range effort at a perfect height for the cameras and a reasonable performance throughout - he could do nothing about the first goal and in fairness would have been doing very well to do anything with any of them.

Kesler (9) - massively impressive - he did some things really well and you could make a long highlight reel from this performance - almost more impressive was that there doesn’t seem to be anything he can’t do; he was dogged, determined and perfectly timed defensively, he showed the trickery of a winger getting forward and he had the energy of an angry Jack Russell up and down the right hand side - best player on the pitch on the night for my money and a real prospect on this showing.

Burton (7) - had a really good first half, timing was good, distribution was good and he showed a really good turn of pace - the second half was a bit more difficult but he played well I thought - he’ll need a growth spurt to make it at centreback though.

Bridge (6) - decent performance from the skipper, but made the one error and didn’t quite look as controlled as he sometimes can. 

Revan (6) - while Kesler was a firework display on the right hand side, Revan was quietly as solid as an oak table on the left. Considering his age, he’s strong and powerful and it’ll be interesting to watch him develop.

Birch (5) - tall and strong, but neither he nor Chukwuemeka really got to grips with Reading in the middle of the park - no shortage of endeavour, but couldn’t really get on top. His attitude seems first class.

Chukwuemeka (5) - started really brightly but drifted out of things - as he gets used to this level I’m hopeful we’ll see him impose himself on games and get the confidence to drive through the midfield - we get flashes of that at the moment, but he looked a little nervous. Still finding his feet.

Wright (7) - the longer the game went on the better he got - and in the last half hour he completely dominated down our right. A little more care in his shooting and he’d have made even more of a difference to this game. They say that some players play with a smile on their face - not Ty - he plays with a cob on and if you take a liberty he’ll put you on your back. I like that about him.

A. Ramsey (7) - reminds me of his brother in a lot of ways, he played in quite an advanced role where he was bright and clever and showed good feet - at times the game went on around him, but whenever he got on the ball he made good things happen. Positive.

JPB (7) - wonderful feet, tricks and dribbling and positive running - he runs by people for fun and he’s terrific to watch. Shoots like a drunk on a seesaw though. If he gets that right he’ll be superb. He's the kind of player I'd have a poster of on my wall. I'm in my forties.

Barry (7) - likes to drift to the left and run at defences, he’s sharp in the box and determined, works hard and knows what’s happening around him. He’s not yet physically ready to go up a level in my opinion and he’s not quite there yet in terms of the way he manages his decision making - but he’s got a natural gift for movement, good feet and an eye for goal. 

Subs 

Archer (6) seems strange to me to put him in the middle of the park, but he did quite well, worked hard and contributed.

Sea was only on for five minutes so I’ll not offer a rating but I can tell you he looks a strong un.

So yeah, a defeat, and one that brings our hopes this season pretty much to an end, but I came away excited about our future. We’ve got some really good young talent here and in my opinion this U23 team carries more promise than the one that got better results at the start of the season - the fullbacks and this exciting young front line have the ability to make a massive impact at this level next season and if they continue to develop I have a feeling we’ll be great to watch next year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The Royals of Reading visited Bodymoor last night, it was cold, it was lively, it had a new star on his first appearance and it had George Boateng amused at my attempts to control a slightly unruly balti pie. Anyway, here’s my thoughts; game first, player stuff after.

So yeah, a defeat, and one that brings our hopes this season pretty much to an end, but I came away excited about our future. We’ve got some really good young talent here and in my opinion this U23 team carries more promise than the one that got better results at the start of the season - the fullbacks and this exciting young front line have the ability to make a massive impact at this level next season and if they continue to develop I have a feeling we’ll be great to watch next year. 

Thanks for a great write up as always. Would like to know more about the pie though.

3 minutes ago, siminjo said:

Which former teammate passed away? And what has happened with Dominic Revan? From being on the first team bench earlier in the season, to being nowhere to be seen. Seems strange

I presume it's about this:

An Aston Villa starlet has paid tribute to a 16-year-old from Erdington who was stabbed to death in Coventry this weekend.
Ramani Morgan who was just 16, was found collapsed on Clay Lane in the Stoke area of Coventry at around 10.30pm on Saturday (February 29).
The teenager, from Erdington, suffered fatal stab wounds.
West Midlands Police said it would continue to interview two 17-year-olds who remain in police custody on Monday morning.

Last night, Kaine Kesler Hayden, who plays for the Aston Villa Under 23s side, took to social media to pay tribute to Ramani, reports CoventryLive .
In a Tweet, following his side's game against Reading U23s, he said: "An emotional night for me I hope I made you proud Ramani until we meet again my brother."
Previously, the 16-year-old Tweeted a picture of Ramani, along with the caption: "Words can’t explain how I’m feeling my long time brother fly high #stopknifecrime".

Although no mention about Ramani being a footballer. RIP.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, siminjo said:

Which former teammate passed away? And what has happened with Dominic Revan? From being on the first team bench earlier in the season, to being nowhere to be seen. Seems strange

Aston Villa starlet's heartbreaking tribute to friend Ramani Morgan stabbed to death in Coventry

An Aston Villa starlet has paid tribute to a 16-year-old from Erdington who was stabbed to death in Coventry this weekend.

Ramani Morgan who was just 16, was found collapsed on Clay Lane in the Stoke area of Coventry at around 10.30pm on Saturday (February 29).

The teenager, from Erdington, suffered fatal stab wounds.

West Midlands Police said it would continue to interview two 17-year-olds who remain in police custody on Monday morning.

More in link...

• Like 1

On 02/03/2020 at 22:11, OutByEaster? said:

This is the youngest reserve side I've ever seen

Even ignoring Chukwuemeka's probable age of 16.xx, this was our youngest league side of the season, and if we only count the other 10 starters it was the first side to dip BELOW an average age of 18 at 17.99.  Carney would obviously bring that down further.  Remarkable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

How old do you have to be to be eligible for next season's FA Youth Cup?

Wickedypedia

Only those players between the age of 15 and 18 on 31 August of the current season are eligible to take part.