U23 Development League 2019/2020

BOF

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

Barry injured 

Well he seemingly took an eye watering one to his gentleman area so he should be ok.

Not a lot of time right now, but I thought Barry looked sharp whilst not the finished article - he reminds me a little of Robbie Fowler in his style, I thought JPB was very good again and Kesler was superb at right back. This is the youngest reserve side I've ever seen and we'll lose some, but I'm quite excited about this group.

Our oldest player was 19.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Not a lot of time right now, but I thought Barry looked sharp whilst not the finished article - he reminds me a little of Robbie Fowler in his style, I thought JPB was very good again and Kesler was superb at right back. This is the youngest reserve side I've ever seen and we'll lose some, but I'm quite excited about this group.

Our oldest player was 19.

What was the age profile of the opposition?

1 minute ago, AndyClarke said:

Including 20 year old man mountain Lexus Beeden, Google him 😯

He's a big un ain't he! He nearly scored from a corner when he came on - Mungo had to mark him and he looked twice his size.

Stats updated.

Everything went as expected, except us :( 

United, West Brom & West Ham all won.  We're still somehow not out of it.  Win the game in hand and we're 1pt behind Middlesbrough.  Problem is our curve is very much pointing downwards and we're probably more likely to be caught by the chasing pack than we are to make ground on those above us.  In my opinion the promotion push will have to wait until next season.

I'd really like to find Chukwuemeka's DOB.  His first league start of the campaign has upset my age calculations :D 

It seems clear to me that we aren't even really targeting getting into the playoffs. I think the focus has switched to purely blooding the 'next generation', and I expect there will be a mass exodus of older youth players in the summer.

I'm also wondering if the longer-term plan isn't for us to fold the U23's altogether, and move to Brentford's B-Team system. 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

It seems clear to me that we aren't even really targeting getting into the playoffs. I think the focus has switched to purely blooding the 'next generation', and I expect there will be a mass exodus of older youth players in the summer.

Oh completely.  We've already shipped out most of them.  We as fans are just following the promotion campaign because that's what we do :D  But yes Purslow has explicitly said if you're at 21/22 and you're not in and around the first team then you're not good enough for Aston Villa.  I think this current squad of U23s which are in reality u19s will be very good next season and will benefit massively from being up against players who are often 2 years older than they are.  It will be interesting to see what the plan is with the more promising prospects.  If we're really serious about getting them into the first team asap then I'd expect they will be sent out on loan to the lower leagues in the way Jacob Ramsey has been recently.  It also depends what league we're in.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Callum O'Hare in our first team next season if we are relegated.

• Like 1

Some of the DOBs are incorrect.  I've had to 'fix' some that were originally found on fmtransferupdate.com but are now different on transfermarkt.com (which I trust far more).

• Thanks 2