U23 Development League 2019/2020

BOF

7 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Was this at Bodymoor OBE? Are they free to attend? Thanks for the report

Yep - at Bodymoor - there's one scheduled at Villa Park in April against West Ham - but I think this is where they'll all be from now on. You can get tickets on the official website, which are free to season ticket holders, but it is difficult on public transport.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yep - at Bodymoor - there's one scheduled at Villa Park in April against West Ham - but I think this is where they'll all be from now on. You can get tickets on the official website, which are free to season ticket holders, but it is difficult on public transport.

Do you get free entry if you are a season ticket holder? Is that what you’re saying?

33 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I didn’t go, no, did you lexicon?? Was this at Bodymoor OBE? Are they free to attend? Thanks for the report

Nah, it's a 4 hour flight for me matey! 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Do you get free entry if you are a season ticket holder? Is that what you’re saying?

You don't need to pay for the ticket - you still need to order one online and have it available for the game. It's a free ticket - you can't just walk up. Hope that makes sense.

I’ve updated my U23/reserves career stats. Following this weeks game, Jack Clarke has broken into the top 10 appearance makers since the club resigned from the Central League and joined the Premier League Reserve League back in 99 (under the various guises: North/South & the newer 2 tier system of Premier League 2). Easah Suliman is just 1 appearance behind. Out of interest, here is the top 12:

1 - Stephen Cooke - 90 apps (69 starts + 21 subs)

2 - Jonathan Bewers - 85 apps (80 starts + 5 subs)

3 - Luke Moore - 82 apps (64 starts + 18 subs)

4 - Daniel Johnson - 76 apps (71 starts + 5 subs)

5 - Josh Webb - 72 apps (65 starts + 7 subs)

6 - Stefan Moore - 67 apps (59 starts + 8 subs)

7 - Isaiah Osbourne - 65 apps (56 starts + 9 subs)

8 - Liam Ridgewell - 64 apps (57 starts + 7 subs)

9 - Shane Lowry - 63 apps (59 starts + 4 subs)

10 - Graham Burke - 62 apps (54 starts + 8 subs)

10 - Jack Clarke - 62 apps (50 starts + 12 subs)

12 - Callum O'Hare - 61 apps (41 starts + 20 subs)

12 - Jerell Sellars - 61 apps (52 starts + 9 subs)

12 - Easah Suliman - 61 apps (59 starts + 2 subs)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 09/12/2019 at 16:43, BOF said:

And it has become nothing short of a disgrace how poor the official site's coverage of anything other than the senior side or the women's side has become.  Not a single tweet about this game on the day.  Disgusting.

Yeah I got my head bitten off by some one here when I pointed out that U23s football will be put to the back burner in the push & promote of womens football. 

I actually stopped following the Villa Twitter account and turned off the Youtube notifications. I have no interest in Womens football and its a shame as the main reason I was following those accounts was to keep updated with the U23s and the youth teams.

I pointed out that the AVFC Womens team have their own twitter account but yet all their news makes the main account more so than the mens news actually, I can find the mens news elsewhere so I stopped following.

This isn't a dig at Womens football, and as I said at the time, I wish them all the luck, but I simply dont care for it. It's just a shame that the players who actually stand a chance for playing for Villa in the future have less exposure due to an agenda set out by the club.

Really wish the Womens team could have been a combined Midlands team, to give them bigger attendances and more exposure so they could really develop the game. Just don't think there's enough interest to have 4 or 5 teams in one region. Plus it would have meant the U23s would still be highlighted by the Villa media outlets. 

9 hours ago, Unused Sub said:

I’ve updated my U23/reserves career stats. Following this weeks game, Jack Clarke has broken into the top 10 appearance makers since the club resigned from the Central League and joined the Premier League Reserve League back in 99 (under the various guises: North/South & the newer 2 tier system of Premier League 2). Easah Suliman is just 1 appearance behind. Out of interest, here is the top 12:

2 - Jonathan Bewers - 85 apps (80 starts + 5 subs)

3 - Luke Moore - 82 apps (64 starts + 18 subs)

4 - Daniel Johnson - 76 apps (71 starts + 5 subs)

5 - Josh Webb - 72 apps (65 starts + 7 subs)

6 - Stefan Moore - 67 apps (59 starts + 8 subs)

7 - Isaiah Osbourne - 65 apps (56 starts + 9 subs)

8 - Liam Ridgewell - 64 apps (57 starts + 7 subs)

9 - Shane Lowry - 63 apps (59 starts + 4 subs)

10 - Graham Burke - 62 apps (54 starts + 8 subs)

10 - Jack Clarke - 62 apps (50 starts + 12 subs)

12 - Callum O'Hare - 61 apps (41 starts + 20 subs)

12 - Jerell Sellars - 61 apps (52 starts + 9 subs)

12 - Easah Suliman - 61 apps (59 starts + 2 subs)

Where have you got these stats from? Have you got the amount of goals each player has scored too?

14 hours ago, Unused Sub said:

Every time I see this name I'm sad. Stephen Cooke had as much talent as any player i've ever seen come through our reserve ranks, he was fantastic to watch, the kind of player that reminded you why you loved the game. Each and every one of those 90 appearances would have come with a prayer that he'd grow a bit - but sadly he never quite developed physically enough to withstand the demands of the game. It's a cruel reminder that sometimes a magical talent loses out to a big un that's half the player.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Every time I see this name I'm sad. Stephen Cooke had as much talent as any player i've ever seen come through our reserve ranks, he was fantastic to watch, the kind of player that reminded you why you loved the game. Each and every one of those 90 appearances would have come with a prayer that he'd grow a bit - but sadly he never quite developed physically enough to withstand the demands of the game. It's a cruel reminder that sometimes a magical talent loses out to a big un that's half the player.

Went to my school before and after he was at Man Utd. There was never any question he was going to be a professional footballer.

Wonder if he would have got better if he appeared 5-10 years later. You won't find a single coach who will tell you Barry Bannan for example was better than him when they were 16.

8 hours ago, Junxs said:

Yeah I got my head bitten off by some one here when I pointed out that U23s football will be put to the back burner in the push & promote of womens football. 

I actually stopped following the Villa Twitter account and turned off the Youtube notifications. I have no interest in Womens football and its a shame as the main reason I was following those accounts was to keep updated with the U23s and the youth teams.

I pointed out that the AVFC Womens team have their own twitter account but yet all their news makes the main account more so than the mens news actually, I can find the mens news elsewhere so I stopped following.

This isn't a dig at Womens football, and as I said at the time, I wish them all the luck, but I simply dont care for it. It's just a shame that the players who actually stand a chance for playing for Villa in the future have less exposure due to an agenda set out by the club.

Really wish the Womens team could have been a combined Midlands team, to give them bigger attendances and more exposure so they could really develop the game. Just don't think there's enough interest to have 4 or 5 teams in one region. Plus it would have meant the U23s would still be highlighted by the Villa media outlets. 

There's no reason at all why promoting the women's team and adequately covering the U23 team on social media need to be mutually exclusive. Bizarre.

14 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Where have you got these stats from? Have you got the amount of goals each player has scored too?

I try to keep a record of the reserve games (all 118 seasons of reserve league football!). Over the years I’ve collected match information from programmes, teamsheets, newspaper reports, websites, attending games, etc.

I’m very grateful to the likes of yourself, BOF & OBE for the input in threads like this. It helps for cross-reference purposes.

Anyway, top goalscorers from the Premier Reserve/U23 League era:

1 - Luke Moore - 43 Goals

2 - Stefen Moore - 29 Goals

3 - Rushian Hepburn-Murphy - 24 Goals

4 - Andi Weimann - 23 Goals

5 - Nathan Delfouneso - 22 Goals

6 - Graham Burke - 21 Goals

7 - Gabby Agbonlahor - 19 Goals

8 - Callum Robinson - 19 Goals

9 - Daniel Johnson - 18 Goals

10 - Stephen Cooke - 17 Goals

• Thanks 4

On 20/12/2019 at 02:27, HanoiVillan said:

There's no reason at all why promoting the women's team and adequately covering the U23 team on social media need to be mutually exclusive. Bizarre.

Guess they can only put out so much content before it becomes overkill, wish they would create an U23s/youth twitter account as theres no way they are going to give up on the womens content now 

On 21/12/2019 at 10:38, Junxs said:

Guess they can only put out so much content before it becomes overkill, wish they would create an U23s/youth twitter account as theres no way they are going to give up on the womens content now 

There is an unofficial twitter account @AVFCU23, ignore their latest tweet though 😋

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

have we got any good kids coming through?

Jacob Ramsey, an 18 year old attacking midfielder who made his first team debut for us last season. 

Dominic Revan, a 19 year old centre back who was on the first team bench last season

Jake Walker, a 19 year old right back who made his u23 debut as an u16 but he has been injured, so that hasn’t helped his progression

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I notice we've got a Sebatian Reven playing for our u18s now, don't know if he's any relation to Dominic. There's actually quite a few names I hadn't come across before listed on the offical site.

I think they are brothers

• Thanks 1