U23 Development League 2019/2020

BOF

On 17/01/2020 at 19:44, AndyClarke said:

Anyone else see the young lad in the white coat with hood (sat assume with parents) in BM2? He went and sat with the players just before half time and was gone second half. Might have been Louie Barry?

Ironically if we do sign Louie Barry he will probably make his home debut at Bodymoor Heath against Albion on 3rd Feb 

Our 4-0 defeat to Exeter has been updated.  We've a new name on the sheet.  17 year old English centre back, Paul Appiah (also eligible for Ghana).  He started the match against Exeter.

I've also updated the PL2 table with recent games.  Boro failed to capitalise on our defeat to Norwich by being stuffed 5-1 by Swansea who overtake them for 6th.  Stoke did manage to overtake us with a 2-0 win at Fulham to go 4th.  We sit 5th with a game in hand but it's getting very tight in the middle of the table and our next league game is home to 3rd placed Baggies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i noticed our u23s got battered 4-0 by Exeter u23.

Im not overly up to speed on the u23s and how it all works, in the sense that, do these results reflect that their u32s are actually better than ours, or are other u23 teams playing older/more senior, and sometimes the odd over 23 player?

how good is our u23 first team?

Do we think players like Searle, Bridge, Ramsey's etc actually have a reasonable chance of breaking thorugh in the next couple of years?

Do we have any u23 that really stand out? (Vassilev/Barry aside), i know the Ramsey brothers are meant to be very good, but are they actually that good?

On 23/01/2020 at 23:03, MaVilla said:

Im not overly up to speed on the u23s and how it all works, in the sense that, do these results reflect that their u32s are actually better than ours, or are other u23 teams playing older/more senior, and sometimes the odd over 23 player?

Do we think players like Searle, Bridge, Ramsey's etc actually have a reasonable chance of breaking thorugh in the next couple of years?

Do we have any u23 that really stand out? (Vassilev/Barry aside), i know the Ramsey brothers are meant to be very good, but are they actually that good?

Exeter had several first team players (over age) involved, Villa on the other hand had several regular u23's missing due to the youth cup game the previous evening and first team commitments. Add to that the apocalyptic weather conditions, although the right team won the game, the scoreline flattered Exeter.

• Thanks 1

On 23/01/2020 at 18:03, MaVilla said:

You must remember that we have no youth player over 21 yrs of age - Jack Clarke is the oldest and he is 21 in 3 days. The average age of the side that played Exeter was 19 yr 4 months.

• Thanks 1

On 23/01/2020 at 23:03, MaVilla said:

I think Aaron and Jacob Ramsey both have a chance of making it here, they are excellent, there is a 3rd brother called Cole in our academy but I haven’t seen him play. As for the other stand out u23 players, I think both Jake Walker and Dominic Revan have a real chance, they are 19 years old now, Walker is a right back, he’s a hard worker, very determined, he made his u23 debut as an u16. Revan is a centre back, he has made the first team bench on a few occasions, he’s very good on the ball, quick and strong, left footed

A relative glut of birthdays coming up.

Easah Suliman (now with Vitória de Guimarães in Portugal) turned 22 on Sunday (26th)
Michael Tait is 19 tomorrow (29th) (surely play him against Donny in the PLC)
Jack Clarke has his 21st the day after (30th)
Isaiah Bazeley-Graham about to turn 20 next Monday (3rd) (home versus WBA ;) )
Charlie Farr is 19 next Friday (7th)
Anton Hooper turns 20 on the same day.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

A weird thing happened. 

A reserve game just sold out in two hours.

No pressure Louie! :)

We need to build a new stand for the reserves games as well then! :crylaugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was quite a young team put out by us... Sinisalo, Kesler, Sebastian Revan, Bazely-Graham, Bridge, Guy, Wright, Clarke, Vassilev, Aaron Ramsey, Philogen-Bidace. Subs: Odutayo, Searle, Hooper, Birch, Archer...

• Thanks 1

Donny defeat stats updated.  Two new names in the matchday squad.  17 year old English right-sided defender/mid, Kaine Kesler, and 17 year old English attacking centre mid, Aaron Ramsey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

U23 Transfer / Loan news

Academy players Jake Walker (Banbury United), Lewis Brunt (Gloucester City), and Ben Guy (Belper Town) have also headed out this window for further experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm a bit surprised by the Walker one, I think he's capable of playing at a higher level than that. 

The team will be interesting on Monday.

He's a trier and pretty solid but to make it he has got to be capable of being better than what we have got or can get off the shelf elsewhere. I like his spirit and tenacity don't get me wrong but can you see him as a Premier League fullback? 20 years ago, maybe but the current fashion is for a different kind of player in that position.

1 hour ago, AndyClarke said:

He's a trier and pretty solid but to make it he has got to be capable of being better than what we have got or can get off the shelf elsewhere. I like his spirit and tenacity don't get me wrong but can you see him as a Premier League fullback? 20 years ago, maybe but the current fashion is for a different kind of player in that position.

I think he's better than the eighth tier - he's not a player that I can see in our first team, but I think he's capable now of playing in League one or League two. I'd have thought as a loan he'd have been able to find a place somewhere at that level.