Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

I'd be really f***** off if we sold him this summer. It also would be another bit of bullshit from Hecks mouth about not selling our best players. We should be getting him on a new deal not looking to flog him. 

• Like 1

On 14/01/2024 at 11:47, villa4europe said:

Surprised no one else commented 

Head went today, looked a very frustrated figure, Evertons plan of lots of contact overly physical slyly kicking him and no free kick being given paired with going down when he brushed one of them done him 

He's the player we should be looking at to rise above it and take games out of the mud, he didn't today, didn't come close either 

Dougie grew up scrapping in the favela. He’s always one step away from getting in a fight, and I’d say he’s really really matured on that front over the last couple of years. But he’ll never totally eliminate it.

• Like 2

One thing that annoys me about Luiz is his tendency to fall over looking a freekick, then the ref waves play on and he's sitting on his arse waving his arms in the air while the opposition have possession outside our penalty box.  Seems to happen once or twice a game, and been doing it under Smith and Gerrard.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, duke313 said:

One thing that annoys me about Luiz is his tendency to fall over looking a freekick, then the ref waves play on and he's sitting on his arse waving his arms in the air while the opposition have possession outside our penalty box.  Seems to happen once or twice a game, and been doing it under Smith and Gerrard.

Harsh!

If that is his only flaw it is a minor one. 

Players come and players go. Every top team has at some stage sold top players. If he goes for £100,000,000. Then use that money wisely, and we could benefit. Stay or go, I trust Unai to manage this either way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I'd be really f***** off if we sold him this summer. It also would be another bit of bullshit from Hecks mouth about not selling our best players. We should be getting him on a new deal not looking to flog him. 

But if we had to sell one of our high value players (£50m+) in the summer to balance the books who would it be? 

It's not even for the book balancing, though it would help.

Again - if someone is offering 100M for Luiz - it would be club malfeasance not to consider it simply because any valuation that high is a good deal for the seller and not the buyer.

And I think Luiz has been magnificent this year - but he's playing next to free transfer Kamara who we were incredibly poor without.

So to think that we couldn't possibly find a replacement is pessimistic. We just have to be smart about it. 

Look at the top 10 transfers and aside from Mbappe, though I'm sure it helped out Monaco, every one of those transfers helped the seller more than the buyer.

image.thumb.png.709cfffdeeb3d7fd6ff03ee1c9de467d.png

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

But if we had to sell one of our high value players (£50m+) in the summer to balance the books who would it be? 

I'd sell everyone before selling Luiz, Martinez, Kamara, McGinn or Konsa. Probably through Torres and Watkins into the mix. If we can't stay balanced at the top end of the league then we are very poorly run and still a feeder club. Especially if we can't hold onto our best players. 

44 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Again - if someone is offering 100M for Luiz - it would be club malfeasance not to consider it simply because any valuation that high is a good deal for the seller and not the buyer.

And I think Luiz has been magnificent this year - but he's playing next to free transfer Kamara who we were incredibly poor without.

So to think that we couldn't possibly find a replacement is pessimistic. We just have to be smart about it. 

Look at the top 10 transfers and aside from Mbappe, though I'm sure it helped out Monaco, every one of those transfers helped the seller more than the buyer.

I personally think the days of these kind of transfer fees are over for the foreseeable. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I personally think the days of these kind of transfer fees are over for the foreseeable. 

For this year probably - hard to see a club in the summer who could absorb this outlay besides Liverpool and they’ve already got Szobo and Jones. 

4 hours ago, duke313 said:

He's not the only one who does that, tbh. And it used to happen more often under previous managers (when we would lose possession a lot more often and cheaply). 

After Grealish i have kind of detached myself a bit from players. They are a commodity . Players will leave. Players will come in and with a bit of luck it will allow us to keep on moving upwards. I will be sad about ones that leave but never too upset again. Ffp is rigged. So if we sell our best players from time to time to strengthen the squad overall then thats fine. Its the badge ( sort of ) that i love the most. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Thats missing some players, Dembele moved for more than £100m to Barca.  I agree with the sentiment though.

14 hours ago, DJBOB said:

If only Barcelona had had competent people in charge. Criminal waste.

This thread reminds me of a Harry Enfield character. 

If a big club were to offer 100+ for Doug then maybe we should consider it. But if Barcelona come in with a straight swap offer for Torres. I’d say oi Barcelona No! 

spacer.png

I don’t think Doug is going anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 30/12/2023 at 17:36, VillaAlex said:

He's looked so tired these past few games since we played Man City. Hopefully can get some good rest now.

Answer.....Relationship resumed.

alisha lehman 2.jpg

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Dougie grew up scrapping in the favela. He’s always one step away from getting in a fight, and I’d say he’s really really matured on that front over the last couple of years. But he’ll never totally eliminate it.

I’m not sure we want him to totally eliminate it, it’s his aggression that elevates him above many of his fellow PL midfielders both in our squad and the opposition’s! 

• Like 2

Â