Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Just now, AV82 said:

Great post, this is incredibly overlooked.

It's a myth. Kamara was out nearly 2 months last season when we went on the unbeaten run 

He's been great this season but Kamara not playing isn't the reason for this defeat, collectively the team are including the gaffer. 

• Like 1

It was concerning but let's be honest it's hard to shine in a 2 man midfield (Dendoncker and Ramsey invisible) against a rampant United side at Old Trafford. Even then I think I'm being generous as McGinn was nearly as bad as the other two.

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

It's a myth. Kamara was out nearly 2 months last season when we went on the unbeaten run 

He's been great this season but Kamara not playing isn't the reason for this defeat, collectively the team are including the gaffer. 

It’s not a myth really mate, McGinn stepped up and Moreno and Ramsey were playing great at the time. In that run we beat teams who you would expect us to, with the exception of maybe Newcastle, that game the whole team played well. I think he would’ve made a massive difference tonight. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WHY said:

It’s not a myth really mate, McGinn stepped up and Moreno and Ramsey were playing great at the time. In that run we beat teams who you would expect us to, with the exception of maybe Newcastle, that game the whole team played well. I think he would’ve made a massive difference tonight. 

I'm not saying Kamara wasn't a miss but it is a myth to think we lost just because he wasn't there. Most the starting 11 didn't turn up tonight which is why we lost. Kamara could have played and had a mare himself, it's not beyond the realms of possibility. 

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

I'm not saying Kamara wasn't a miss but it is a myth to think we lost just because he wasn't there. Most the starting 11 didn't turn up tonight which is why we lost. Kamara could have played and had a mare himself, it's not beyond the realms of possibility. 

Agree, you need your best players at places like OT though, hence why he was a massive miss. We let them get the better of us in midfield, think Kamara might have done something about it.

38 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I didn't say it was. I think Douglas plays better with a capable midfielder alongside him. Tonight he didn't have one.

44 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Said it last week and my opinion haven't changed.

Not gonna lose any sleep if Arsenal is willing to give us 100 M for him.

Decent player but far from irreplaceable.

Yeah I'm not going to relegate him to " I'm ok if we get rid " status due to one lacklustre performance lol

• Like 2

Just now, AV82 said:

I didn't say it was. I think Douglas plays better with a capable midfielder alongside him. Tonight he didn't have one.

Doesn't every player? The point being, Kamara not being there wasn't the only reason for this defeat. Dougie as with most the team just weren't at the races after we went 2-0 up. I don't think Kamara alone could have stopped that defeat tonight when nearly everyone was poor

I think we sometimes think those missing are always the answer but collectively we've won with everyone missing at times. I think we have ridden our luck since Arsenal tbh and this along with the Sheff Utd game are examples of us not being at the races. I'm not even sure if it's tiredness, it's seems more like complacency to me. Sloppiness, minimal movement, no zip in our play. We've been collectively slacking imo. 

9 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Doesn't every player? The point being, Kamara not being there wasn't the only reason for this defeat. Dougie as with most the team just weren't at the races after we went 2-0 up. I don't think Kamara alone could have stopped that defeat tonight when nearly everyone was poor

I think we sometimes think those missing are always the answer but collectively we've won with everyone missing at times. I think we have ridden our luck since Arsenal tbh and this along with the Sheff Utd game are examples of us not being at the races. I'm not even sure if it's tiredness, it's seems more like complacency to me. Sloppiness, minimal movement, no zip in our play. We've been collectively slacking imo. 

I suppose in the end it comes down to how fundamental you think that position is to our pattern of play. Perhaps Kamara was the missing piece. Perhaps not. Perhaps Dendoncker specifically being his replacement damaged our build up to such an extent that things then piled up (Utd gaining momentum, galvanised home fans, our boys heads dropping, etc) and the game got away from us. Perhaps not. Perhaps both.

We can agree the loss wasn't a result of us missing one player but what I am saying is that I think it had a huge impact on how Douglas specifically played this match. That then means both our starting CM positions were compromised to some degree which is a vital, vital part of how we play.

A good example is I think we (and Douglas) miss Kamara more than say we (and Konsa) miss Cash.

Edited by AV82

10 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I want to make it clear that I agree we should still compete and win matches even when missing the likes of Torres and Kamara. 100%. The performance today, all things considered, was not good enough regardless of personnel.

Looks knackered. The amount of game time seems to be catching up with the likes of him and Digne.

We're not even halfway through the season yet and he's already played 2/3 of the minutes he did last year. 

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah I'm not going to relegate him to " I'm ok if we get rid " status due to one lacklustre performance lol

I think the point is that with £100m you could buy a player just as good or better

Aftwr last night I’ve moved more into that camp personally. Luiz hid all game which was shameful.

For me our highest priority position for a big signing is now centre midfield since we’re thin on the ground there anyway (only Kamara and Luiz are starting XI quality) and they could both do with decent competition

Â