Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

55 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Yeah, I’m sure there’s always lots of hypotheticals going on.

I just feel like Luiz probably needed more than just hypotheticals to convince him to sign a new long-term deal at lower table where he was out of favour, rather than forcing a move to the CL club that wanted him.

Agreed. To the point where I hope we did tell him everything, as the alternative is the he probably got given a relatively cheap release clause.  Given one didn't get triggered in January,  I'm guessing it's the former, but there's always that doubt.

Negative thoughts out the way, he's living up to the potential I always thought he had. But I think even I didn't expect that performance against a Newcastle midfield that has been amazing all season. He made Bruno look average.  That's phenomenal. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dale said:

Gerrard just wants people running about like he did. He never appreciated the technical or tactical part of the game as a player... And that hasn't changed. 

This, 1000000%!  I always believed that he was incredibly tactically ill-disciplined as a player.  He would just roam around wherever he wanted.  No coincidence that the dippers best run of consistency in his playing career was when Rodgers gave him a specific disciplined role as a holding player as he got too old to do all the running.  I was in South Africa in 2010 watching the England-Algeria draw.  Capello started with Gerrard on the right side of midfield and he was constantly drifting into the middle trying to be the billy big time.  Poor Capello was doing his nut on the sidelines (we were seated behind the England bench) constantly telling Gerrard to take up the correct position.  Eventually he brought on Joe Cole to play on the right.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FLVillan said:

This, 1000000%!  I always believed that he was incredibly tactically ill-disciplined as a player.  He would just roam around wherever he wanted.  No coincidence that the dippers best run of consistency in his playing career was when Rodgers gave him a specific disciplined role as a holding player as he got too old to do all the running.  I was in South Africa in 2010 watching the England-Algeria draw.  Capello started with Gerrard on the right side of midfield and he was constantly drifting into the middle trying to be the billy big time.  Poor Capello was doing his nut on the sidelines (we were seated behind the England bench) constantly telling Gerrard to take up the correct position.  Eventually he brought on Joe Cole to play on the right.  

And his other best run was when he played just off Torres. I also remember Everton going down to 10 men against Liverpool, there was something like 20-30 mins left and Rafa brought Gerrard off. Gerrard obviously looked bemused but they went on to win the game. Rafa had him figured out, I think he wanted someone in that game with the intelligence to take advantage of having the extra man.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FLVillan said:

Joe Cole did not play vs Algeria 😃

1 minute ago, TheMelvillan said:

Yeah me too☺️. Close though - quite similar players and both very good

however I suspect the average neutral would choose guimaraes 

I make you right. What swings it for me is the ceiling level for both, I think Dougie will continue to improve and become something of a elite world class level player 

8 minutes ago, a-k said:

Joe Cole did not play vs Algeria 😃

Well it was 13 years ago so my memory is playing tricks. Could have been Lennon or Wright-Phillips.  I do remember how bloody awful we were and that the right side was beyond poor with Gerrard and Glen Johnson.... . he brought someone off the bench (and reshuffled to not hurt Stevie's feelings) to play on the right side because Gerrard wasn't disciplined enough to keep the shape.  Maybe it wasn't even the Algeria game, who knows... but it was definitely in South Africa 😁

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Yeah me too☺️. Close though - quite similar players and both very good

however I suspect the average neutral would choose guimaraes 

Guimares is a one-way player.  That's why the neutrals love him but proper football people see his limitations. Players like him need a purely-defensive midfielder behind them. Dougie is, dare I say it, more in the Dennis Mortimer mould, in that he plays both sides of the ball.  

34 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

dougie or Guimaraes if you had to choose?

Tough one maybe Dougie just shades it. Ideally I'd have Guimaraes days off and rest days and Dougie training days and match days.

38 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

Could have been Lennon or Wright-Phillips.  I do remember how bloody awful we were and that the right side was beyond poor

Who's that winger running down the right

Is it Shaun Wright Phillips no he's shite

And it isn't Arron Lennon, so someone better tell 'em

It's Ashley Young he's f******* dynamite.

1 hour ago, Mark_1989 said:

If Douglas Luiz was English how much do you think he would be worth?

Quietly going about his business but I honestly think he’s one of the best midfielders in the league.

He would be similarly not getting picked to play for England just like the rest of the Villa squad so probably not much more then he's worth as a Brazilian.

Assuming we didn't have to placate him with a minimum fee release clause to get him to sign the new contract, I don't see us accepting any figure that anyone would pay for him this summer.  He's central to our play, and the last guy like they we sold for £100m, and even then only because of a clause.

Â