Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

I'm struggling to see after a few of these comments what he actually did today...

he was ball shy...offered nothing...stood next to.odergaard all game....at times hid behind him.

One of the main reasons we can't get out of our half and end up going to the full.backs.

Really struggle to see what he brings 90% of the time 

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Ball shy? He had the most touches and most passes in the team today.

Where are those stats. Be interested to see them.

Sorry making 5 yard sideways passes and having a touch of the ball can be a misleading stat...especially in final third when the ball is going sideways all the time.

If you watch the game again you will see where we need a pass...or a show in our own half.....he is no where to be seen...especially of goal kicks.

At one point we had a throw on the half way line and he just stood there behind odergaard.

Look at party amd xhaka...offered all over the pitch and moved after.

Just dont get what he does...pops up.jow.and then in game...but imo just hides in the middle of it all.

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1549829/LiveStatistics/England-Premier-League-2021-2022-Aston-Villa-Arsenal

He had more touches and made more passes than both Partey and Xhaka. His passing was also more varied than Xhaka's, who did exactly what you're describing. 

You've either got a bit of an agenda going on here or are just seemingly blanking out everything he did do because of a couple of moments in the game that you didn't like. 

Unless I'm wrong I've luiz on 63...xhaka 62 hardly a difference...but like I say...little 5 yarders can easily hide in stats.

No agenda...ive got numerous examples of him not showing when needed both in attack amd defence can't up load them due to the size apparently.

Like I said don't rate him that highly as others..just like others are made to be a scape goat...when really is one actually better than the other...its all opinions at the end of day.

He played a lovely long ball over the top to Ollie in the second half who sadly had the first touch of a proverbial today, and did the rest of his work well imo.  Fundamentally people just have different opinions of what a deeper central midfielder should be in the team for.  I have no idea why Coutinho isn't on all our set pieces though, especially free kicks 30 yards out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Ball shy? He had the most touches and most passes in the team today.

I would say his passing was very safe tbh. We didn't switch the play nearly enough. Had quite a bit of width with Cash and constantly Cash was berating him for not switching it.

He was right too 

Bit slow and very safe...but still the best of a bad bunch.

I liked him and the positions he took up. We just need way more braver possession.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, poitier said:

He improved as the game went on, but having a sideways passing midfielder stood between the two centre backs isn't a winning strategy.

Don't a lot of the best teams do that?  The full backs push up, the centre backs go a bit wider and the defensive midfielder moves in between them to pick the ball up and move it on with short passes.

9 minutes ago, poitier said:

He improved as the game went on, but having a sideways passing midfielder stood between the two centre backs isn't a winning strategy.

That’s apparently where he’s supposed to be when defending in this system, between the centre backs.

People who use '5 yard passes' against him don't know what they're talking about. All our mids can't be like McGinn trying the Hollywood every time, sometimes we need to keep possession ticking over.

• Like 4

He's still not being played in his best position. We struggle to pass the ball through midfield because that's not what McGinn and Ramsey are good at, out of all our midfield options he's our best chance at passing it into our AMs in a decent area but he's the deepest one. FWIW Sanson also seems decent at that, we need more footballing ability in CM not just work rate.

• Like 1

He is not a defensive midfielder.  He lacks height, physicality and aggression for that.  I really don't rate him in that position and would like to see him played further forward.  We are never going to get the best out of Luiz in the DCM role.    He is absolute garbage in there. 

59 minutes ago, STO said:

He is not a defensive midfielder.  He lacks height, physicality and aggression for that.  I really don't rate him in that position and would like to see him played further forward.  We are never going to get the best out of Luiz in the DCM role.    He is absolute garbage in there. 

He isn't garbage there, and that's a fact.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Baffling opinion.

Ashley Westwood was better! better passer, better corner kick tacker, better shooter of the ball, better free kick tacker. 

• Haha 1

Â